The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-03-2015, 10:23 AM

Default Zoom H4n Problem

It seems to be draining fresh batteries over about 3 days even though it is turned off.

I reset to factory standard and made sure phantom is switched off.

This has happened 3 times in a row with Duracells so the problem is likely not caused by defective batteries.

O/S is version 1.72 which I think is the most recent.

The recorder is around 2.5 years old hasn't been used much or dropped on the floor etc.

I have plugged condensers into it which required that phantom power be turned on but that's turned off now and should not drain the batteries anyway when the unit is switched off and no microphones are plugged in.

I have also plugged guitar cords into it but I doubt that there is anything that could have got shorted out by using the input jacks for either 1/4" or XLR applications.

The foregoing applications, in addition to using the on-board mics occasionally, is the only use this thing has had.

Seems like it's either a short or some function that is remaining active while the unit is switched off but the factory reset should have negated the latter contingency.

Any thoughts or suggestions other than removing the batteries when not being used ?

Thanks
Old 10-08-2015, 11:39 AM

See if you the have sound motion switch turned on , not sure if that's the right name for it . I believe it's located in the battery compartment . When turned on the h4n will activate record mode . It's used in field work like say you want to record the call of a loon no pun intended lol the unit turns on and records when birds or whatever go quiet it goes into standby mode . If this is the issue then in the house if it hears noise it'll keep turning on . Best first guess 😊
Old 10-21-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riakstonic View Post
See if you the have sound motion switch turned on , not sure if that's the right name for it . I believe it's located in the battery compartment .
There is a setting that will start recording when sound is detected but that's in the menu and it is turned off.

The switch in the battery box is to extend battery life I guess by reducing demand.

Anyway, I figured out why it was draining batteries.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:00 AM

Which was... what?

cotten
Old 10-22-2015, 02:35 PM

Slightest pressure on switch causes it to turn on so just normal handling will do do it.

Used to be to turn it on you had to hold the switch in position for 2 seconds - now just touch it and on it goes.

Still have to hold it down for 2 seconds to turn it off though.

Solution is to place the switch in hold/lock position when turned off.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:52 PM

Ok cool you found out what was up sorry about miss info have not used that function . My switch still needs to be held for a sec or 2

No sight pressure issues with mine is not a slide switch ?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD