The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-27-2015, 07:55 AM

Default Zoom H1 ASIO driver problem in Reaper

Hello,
I have purchased a Zoom H1 recorder and have been trying its USB mic function with Reaper.

The H1 is rather quiet when working as a standalone recorder. But as a usb device,
I found it produced horrible electronic self-noise with the usual drivers (Wave Out etc..).

So I downloaded the ASIO driver from the zoom website, hoping it would secure a clean signal.

But on my PC running Windows 7 64 bit, the driver works neither with Reaper nor, for that matter, with Audacity.

In Reaper the driver appears in the list, but then absolutely no device shows up in the input and output menus.

I thought this might be due to the presence of the "ASIO for all" driver,
which I removed hoping that would help, but to no avail.

Moreover the usual default drivers that show up in Reaper
don't see the H1 any more, now that the Zoom ASIO driver is installed.

I was wondering had anyone been faced with this situation,
given the driver in question is the same for all recorders of the "H" and "F" series of Zoom.,
Regards,
Patrick
Old 09-27-2015, 10:43 AM

Check your H1 manual. In mine the USB function is only identified as having a Card Reader capability, not a USB mic option.

** Edit **

Ah, looks like I had a bunk USB cable or something. Now it's working as a stereo USB mic.

First, make sure you have firmware 2.10 https://www.zoom-na.com/products/fie...rder#downloads (OK, it looks like it worked with 2.00 as well)

The firmware upgrade procedure is in the original manual: https://www.zoom-na.com/sites/defaul...de_English.pdf

The firmware package includes instructions for using the USB connection, but here are the steps:

Connect via USB to computer with power off.

Screen will show "CARD" alternating with "AUDIO" - press the record button while "AUDIO" is showing.

Press Record button at "SELECT" - 44/16 is the only option

Screen shows USB

That should do it.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog

Last edited by Fran Guidry; 09-27-2015 at 11:03 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Tags
asio, reaper, zoom h1