The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-19-2015, 10:21 AM

Default Playing out Live/ Powered Subwoofer

Hi all...I'm a noob/recently registered...but, have been reading this forum for a while now. Thank you all for some great insight/advice...Sorry if this new thread does not belong here...wasn't sure where to put it.

I am part of an acoustic duo band...about a year and a half ago, I bought the Yamaha stage pass 600i...I am now interested in buying a powered sub ...but... don't want to break the bank....I was hoping to spend between $200-600..used is an option... Anyone have any suggestions/recommendation with which powered subwoofer you would buy. I don't think I need to go too big...considering our sound will only consist of two vocals and two guitars...we have two gigs coming up....and hopefully ..many more to follow...but we are booking small to mid size rooms. thanks for any advice
Old 09-19-2015, 01:48 PM

welcome to the AGF!

i wouldn't think that a subwoofer would work well with acoustic electrics. seems that it would make them and your voices too boomy. can't you just adjust the eq of the guitars and the pa to balance things out?

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 09-20-2015, 07:04 AM

thank you for the reply muscmp.....the more I am learning about this setup as an option(adding a sub)...I'm starting to conclude ...I really don't need a high powered sub with a ton of Wattage ...but more of a great sounding sub "with a little umph"...I believe a cab with a 12 inch speaker would do.

I honestly didn't realize how important a sub was until I played through my friends Bose system which had a sub...it really completed the overall sound having a dedicated cab pumping out those lows...unfortunately, I can not afford any item that has the bose logo ...LOL!!!!

here is a link of my pa system stagepas 600i with a Yamaha sub
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aHTx4g2_b8

I'm leaning towards one of two:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WTqIz5Wklc
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...ered-subwoofer

thanks once again for the reply
Old 09-20-2015, 07:29 AM

I'm not sure about the Behringer but that Electro-Voice model looks to be quality and not too heavy to carry.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 09-20-2015, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulp1960 View Post
I'm not sure about the Behringer but that Electro-Voice model looks to be quality and not too heavy to carry.
Thanks for the reply paulp1960...the EV sub, from what I can tell...is a workhorse ...I do have to agree with quality...EV is outstanding and would be the safer choice...as for the Behringer...from what I have read...those who have bought this product claim that they/Behringer finally got it right with this product...that it is a great design and great sounding sub.

I am somewhat torn...budget is a concern...not to mention...im not trying to keep up with the Jones with the loudest system...but more of a complete overall great sounding system...I know if I went with the EV...I wouldn't be disappointed...decisions!!!! LOL!!!!
anyway thank you once again ...and look forward to many more discussions on this forum
Old 09-21-2015, 06:02 AM

A powered sub for two acoustic guitars and two vocals?

You may want a powered sub, but I don't think you need a powered sub.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 09-21-2015, 11:01 AM

That's a good point - I would have thought the Stagepass 600i with 10 inch woofers would be sufficient for reproducing vocals and acoustic guitars without any missing bottom end.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 09-21-2015, 03:47 PM

it actually does sound great "Yamaha 600i"...but I am always seeking for the system to sound better...LOL!!! I decided to invest in a few of the TC helicon monitors which attach to a boom stand. I'm like a little kid in a candy store when it comes to equipment/guitars...etc..
Ovation Celebrity
Baby Taylor
Old 09-23-2015, 05:19 PM

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input ...I ended up going with the behringer eurolive 12inch sub...it really sounds incredible...I thought the stagepas alone sounded great...but now...just wow...it was exactly what I was looking for...It doesn't give thumps or make the sound to boomy or anything like that...It just makes everything sound fuller...anyway...thank you all
Ovation Celebrity
Baby Taylor

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD