The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-17-2015, 02:57 AM

Default Camcorder & Mic Recommendations for making Youtube Videos

Hi,

I am looking to get a new camcorder/mic for making good quality videos for tutorials and guitar videos on line.

I don't know anything about the world of camcorders. Could anyone recommend a decent set-up? Should I also buy a mic, or do some camcorders have decent enough mics built in?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Many thanks, Nik
Old 09-17-2015, 07:37 AM

'Camcorder' is an old-fashioned term when there were cameras that had tape (VHS or Beta) tapes in them.

Most new digital cameras have HD video capability. For best sound, record the audio separately with a good mic or two into an interface into your computer. Then combine video and audio together in video editing software.

Alternately, look at the Zoom Q4 or Q8.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 09-17-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikdavies View Post
Hi,

I am looking to get a new camcorder/mic for making good quality videos for tutorials and guitar videos on line.

I don't know anything about the world of camcorders. Could anyone recommend a decent set-up? Should I also buy a mic, or do some camcorders have decent enough mics built in?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Many thanks, Nik
In my video efforts I've found that using the on-board mic while framing the width of the guitar puts the mic too far away for good sound, even in a pretty good sounding room. This is true even when I've tried "music cameras" like the Zoom Q3HD. http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2010/...the-zoom-q3hd/

Back then I thought a wider angle lens would improve things by allowing me to bring the camera closer for improved sound. While the sound improved, the visual distortion quickly got annoying. http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2015/...-sony-hdr-mv1/

I don't know if you consider this to be "decent quality"

but I have been experimenting with the iRig Pro audio interface and my iPhone 6+. If you have a recent smartphone that might meet your needs.

There are some cameras, either camcorder or photo form factor, with mic inputs and there are a few with decent quality audio circuitry. With such a camera, even a cheap electret condenser lapel mic will give much better results than the mic built-in to the camera. Unfortunately there are so many cameras on the market these days that I wouldn't know where to begin making a recommendation, especially since you didn't mention a budget figure.

Well, actually, with no budget figure to limit me, I'd suggest a Panasonic Lumix GH4 and a pair of Schoeps CMBI bodies and stereo adapter cable along with your choice of capsules. There are some other interesting high dollar combos to explore but short of a $5000 gear budget separate audio and video synced in post production seems to be the way to go. You can use any existing recording system you have and shop for your camera/camcorder based strictly on video quality.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 09-17-2015, 02:03 PM

Perhaps a slightly unconventional answer...

Use your smart phone camera for the video side and a portable audio recorder such as a the Zoom H2n (~$160) for the audio side.

Them put them in a video program such as Sony Vegas (~$100) and sync them up.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
Perhaps a slightly unconventional answer...

Use your smart phone camera for the video side and a portable audio recorder such as a the Zoom H2n (~$160) for the audio side.

Them put them in a video program such as Sony Vegas (~$100) and sync them up.

To me that's the "conventional" answer - and the best approach. You don't compromise on either audio or video. Vegas and several other programs can handle this easily. If you have a Mac, Final Cut Pro X ($299) lets you just open the audio file, as many video files as you want (for multiple camera angles) and syncs them all up for you automatically. I wouldn't do it any other way.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:23 PM
Dan - Charter Member

Josh Turner on YouTube usually uses a portable recorder and an inexpensive DSLR that records video. I think the results are quite impressive. He does a good job editing the two together. For instance, a recent video description says "Recorded, as ever, on the trusty Zoom H2. Filmed on a Canon Rebel T3i. Edited in Pro Tools and Premiere." Sometimes his video recorder is just a smartphone.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:06 AM

Thanks guys, this is helpful. 

It sounds like I should get a good mic then and just a simple video recorder.

Any recommendations for low budget video recorders? (my smart phone isn’t up for the job). I want one where you can see the picture whilst you’re recording – so I can get the positioning right, if I’m going to be sitting opposite it (I don’t know if they all have this function generally?) And I tripod too I guess.

Now softwear, there’s another question! I don’t have a mac, just a Lenovo laptop. I do want to make videos with 2 or more screens showing for guitar/banjo duets. Other than that it can be very basic. Any recommendations for low budget editing softwear?

Thanks very much in advance
Old 09-18-2015, 07:04 AM

I tried several less expensive video editing SW packages last year and found that Sony Vegas Studio (about $100) was what I liked best, but they're not hugely different (just more or less intuitive).

Last edited by buzzardwhiskey; 09-18-2015 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:51 AM
Dan - Charter Member

I also recommend the Sony product. The professional product is called Vegas; the consumer product is now called called Sony Movie Studio (was called Vegas Studio). There are free trials available. (Check Amazon for prices.)

In the distant past I used Adobe Premiere Elements, but I found I liked the Sony product much better, and it is cheaper as well.

Also, Windows Movie Maker (free from Microsoft) is surprisingly easy to use, and may be all you need. Its output formats are limited, but you could use Handbrake or similar software to convert to other formats if you need to.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:11 AM

I'm currently trying to figure this out too.
But I need to do vocals, guitar and video. I'd be happy to record all as one take but where I have to record is small and produces very flat acoustics. I get pleasing results editing in garage band adding a bit of reverb etc. but that's audio only. I do not want to try and dump video from iPhone 6+ onto my crappy Windows laptop split audio enhance audio and re-syncing then upload to you tube.
Is there any reasonable Apps that allow me to export audio to garage band and send back for syncing with video all on my phone? That would be the easiest.

Alternative I'm thinking just use my guitar and mic into my Acoustic Play into something like iRig pre which then can act as my audio in while recording video. But it would be nice to not have to record video with a mic stand and mic in the way but ultimately might be a much better result but I don't know.
Any suggestions with keeping the whole process on the phone would be great as its so fast and simple compared to working with my computer.

BTW I do have Sony Vegas Pro and can input audio into my laptop through my mixer but having done it that way while videoing is a real pain and truthfully I was not super happy with the results using audacity etc. I get much better sound using garage band off my phone.

Any advice is gratefully appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD