The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-27-2015, 03:07 PM

Default Zoom H2N Opinions

Hi, I'm thinking of getting one of these to record my voice lessons. My instructor suggested a voice recorded, I decided to maybe spend a bit more and get a better quality device than the under $100 Sony/Olympus models. $200 is about my budget.

Anyone using one of these, any thoughts?

Cheers.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:11 PM
Guest316

Moved from General
Old 08-27-2015, 03:59 PM

The Zoom will sound great but if you have a smart phone it will do an adequate job for much less.

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 09-16-2015, 09:25 PM

Without going into details, I dearly love my Zoom H2n, and this would be an ideal application for it.

That said, Archtop Guy is correct: you could also just record voice memos on your phone...
Old 09-16-2015, 09:49 PM
Dan - Charter Member

I just bought a used H2N for about half the price of new. Once I read the manual, it seems straightforward to use, and the limited test recordings I've done with it sound very good.

A Zoom H1 would be fine too, and it's cheaper. I liked the "shaver" shape of the H2N. I can just stand it on the table without worrying about propping it up on anything.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:52 PM
Charter Member

Hi Hinto…

I own a Zoom H2n, and it would do the job well, and would serve as a good field recorder in many situations other than voice lessons.

It will produce superior results to a smart phone since the microphone and preamp sections are superior to smart phone microphones. But then it's a device dedicated to capturing and reproducing high quality sound on-location.

And the nice thing about digital recorders is you can set them atop an inexpensive camera tripod and position them to better capture the sound you are producing. Since you are planning on capturing lessons, a combination of the phone's video and the audio recordings of a digital recorder could make a great match.

Actually the lowly Zoom H1 would do the job at the $100 price point quite well. It is the most scaled down version of the Zooms, but I still see them on TV shows being used as off-camera remote capture devices for dialogue. Darrell's House sets them on the tables during lunches to capture the people at the other end of the table. I've seen home redecorating shows stashing them around houses when filming groups of people who cannot wear individual mics.

Several things I like about Zooms are:
  • Dedication to support and episodic upgrades (and recorders which can be upgraded)
  • Quality recordings which can be started and ended simply
  • Attention to small points of user friendly operation
  • Ease of adjusting input volume on the fly

All digital recorders capture sound. Not all bring support to the table, nor ease of operation, nor optional mounting capabilites.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD