The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-24-2014, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Default Need a new vocal mic: SP B1, AT 2020, or MXKLV67g?

These all are in the same price range. I already own one V67g and like it a lot, so I may just go that route for my second mic. But, I hear good things about the Studio Projects B1 and the AT 2020 and would like to try something new to compare it to my V67g. Anyone have a recommendation for one of these three for vocals?

I'm looking for something strictly for vocals at this time. I am a male and I'm looking for something forgiving and "smooth."

Todd
Old 03-24-2014, 07:01 PM

You might consider the new Rode NT-1. This new re-design of the older NT1-a is getting a lot of good press and the specs are impressive at the price. I have the original and it's a great mic.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Thanks! I'll consider that one too.

Anyone else?

Todd
Old 03-25-2014, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

I'm a bit confused if you like V67 then why spend money just to try something different. You might be better off if your after a significant improvement , by waiting until your budget for a new mic is considerably larger.

Also with this in mind "I'm looking for something forgiving and "smooth." I would probably not buy any Chinese made LDC because the biggest single complaint you hear across the board is they tend to be hyped or strident in highs . I had a Studio Projects C 1 and it was indeed strident.

At the very minimum for real improvement in and LD vocal mic I would probably (except for good used) not buy and FET condenser at anything under probably $1500 Instead I would consider an LD Dynamic something like a Shure SM7 B or the Heil PR 40 in the $350 price range.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 03-25-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Kev and Rudy. I should probably elaborate...

I do like the MXL V67 though I don't have a lot of experience with different mics. I may find something I like better without too much of an expenditure. My birthday is next week and my wife gave me a $150 budget to find something I want. I decided I would like to try a new mic in my setup and see if I like it better than, or worse than, the V67g. I honestly can't think of anything else I need right now.

Would a ribbon mic or some other setup be preferable? It looks like an SM7 would push me into the $350 category that's a lot more than I am interested in investing right now.

I realize that the Chinese made mics are going to be probably pretty similar, though these three seem to get very good rating overall. I'm not adverse to trying something different.

Todd
Old 04-07-2014, 12:09 AM

The Audio Technica AT2020 certainly is inexpensive. GC has them for $50.59 presently.

I have a pair of AT3035's which i find to be wonderfully flat, clean and versatile. They are no longer available but the AT2035 is a pretty close substitute. They're running about $149 at most on-line retailers. AT stopped producing the entire 3000 series a few years back. The 2035 is not quite as flat as the 3035 nor quite as hot but still darn close and less expensive to boot. Both have the same features (low freq rolloff and 10db pad). And the noise specs are identical. The 2020 is in comparison a lesser instrument. But hey, it's only $50-99 at a dealer near you.

I have a couple MXL mics as well but not the V67 so I can't comment on that particular unit. I will say that the ones I do have are much more brittle sounding than the ATs. Usefull for capturing high freq overtones but just seems to be overdone. The ATs just sound like whatever you're recording, which is a good thing.

Lots of good options out there. Have fun shopping. And happy birthday.

Rick
Old 04-07-2014, 04:12 AM

I started with a V67G, and have been using one for years. Currently I have one modded by JJ Audio. It's a spectacular mod. Recently I think, there was a group buy on Dave Pensado's Facebook page. I like the guy, like the mic.

They are sufficient unmodded too.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:25 AM

Default Need a new vocal mic: SP B1, AT 2020, or MXKLV67g?

Kevs advice is spot on. You'd be better off with a dynamic at that price point. Look at the Heil mics. If you can solder you may have other options or even look at joly modded mics. I've owned a B1 and it was harsh in the high end.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:16 AM

I wouldn't spend the money on the AT-2020, I have used it and what you have is so much better. On another thread here I mentioned I picked up a MXL 67G and will buy a RK-87 capsule($109.00) and replace the stock one. As far as soldering goes just two wires the rest is just careful attention.
KevWind did offer some other good suggestions. I use the SM7b(almost went with the Heil PR-40) but own a PR-30 as well. Fantastic mic perhaps no so much for vox as I use it for cabs, but I am impressed by Heil so far. BTW you can get a PR-40 for under $289.00 if you shop wisely. So I suggest you save the $150.00 and think about it, maybe get a PR-40 down the road which is a vocal mic or perhaps try what I am doing. I can provide urls either on this thread or via pm
Old 04-15-2014, 07:25 AM

I will add this as well. After reading your post closer and your curiosity with Ribbon mics I have been looking at some lower cost options and have some candidates below $250.00. I can't endorse as I am going on advice and reviews but may pull the trigger soon. Passive require clean gain but the ones I am considering are active so that is not an issue

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD