The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace

Old 07-14-2011, 01:57 PM

Cool stuff, Jeff.

Somehow I had it in my head that I'd long ago sampled the gypsy jazz style and found it not to my liking. Maybe I'm becoming more receptive in my declining years.

And yes, I get the difference between the two styles those tracks illustrate, which I would characterize as hot versus cool, not that those words meaning anything to anyone besides me.

A veteran is someone who at one point in his or her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
Old 07-14-2011, 07:11 PM

I recently received a pick based on the shape of theGolden Gate pick and I love it-I highly recommend Gravity Picks.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:48 PM

I just contacted Gravitypicks, to get one of the free demos. Chris was nice enough to send one. I play a 12 string, so i'll give a full report to Chris and the rest of AGF.

From what ive seen on the web site, i think i am in for a real treat.

Specail thanks to Chris at Gravity picks for there generosity and being a sponser..Solo

Mike Solo

Last edited by Battleman; 07-16-2011 at 08:47 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-16-2011, 11:04 AM

I received the classic standard a few weeks ago. I played it immediately to very pleasing results, went away on vacation, and then back at it yesterday. This clear pick has quickly become my favorite for many of the reasons stated within this thread. (Though I would love a color version because I almost lost it twice on the couch. But that's my issue!)

When I A/B the pick with the Fender heavy and mediums I usually use the Gravity Pick out performed them in comfort (it is light, sturdy, and sits well in my hand and stays put) and tone. The pick produced a clean, crisp, articulate sound. I love it! And the sustain. Wow. It got a sustain out of my LJ16 on aging strings that my other picks just didn't produce.

Just like another poster, I A/B'd the picks for my wife. She could tell the difference immediately. I was impressed by that.

I plan to make a purchase. Thanks Chris and Gravity Picks for your generous offer and fine product.

Last edited by bajawatt; 07-16-2011 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Cuz I want to.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:49 AM

I recently received a sample of Gravity picks. There is a noticeable improvement in sound and volume over the mass produced celluloid picks. They even feel better; in that they have less slip when held. Definitely recommended.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:16 AM

Beautiful picks!
I'm a friendly collector myself.
Will definitely add one or two Gravity picks to my collection soon.
Here's hoping for the best.
2010 Takamine EG 360 SC acoustic
1976 Yamaha G-225 classical
Old 07-19-2011, 10:01 AM

I emailed Chris recently and was granted a couple of trial picks even though I think this deal had expired. I want to first say thanks to Chris for that.

I received the Striker XL (1.5mm, I believe) and the Classic Standard (also 1.5mm). Now, I am not used to picks this thick, so I still have some adjusting to do. However, of all of the thick picks that I have used, I thought that these had the roundest, meatiest, and least "harsh" sound. I like that, I like that a lot.

Now, let me explain what I mean by "harsh." My experience with thicker picks (> 1.0mm) is that the tone they produce on individual notes is warm and lovely, these picks were no exception. It seems, though, that when I strum with thicker picks that the sound comes off as kind of harsh, kind of like my strings are screaming a little bit in response to the extra work I am putting them through. As I said earlier, this is likely more technique than anything, but what impressed me about the Gravity picks, is that the sound came off much more round and smooth than others I have tried. These have really given me a reason to get used to picks this size, and I intend to do so.

What I love the most about these picks is how they feel. They feel so nice in my hands and dont slip at all. That alone is reason to pick them up among a pile of picks in my stash.

All in all, I am very happy with the Gravity pick samples I received, I prefer the striker XL to the classic mostly due to size. I now have two picks that I will alternate in my collection, a lighter triangle pick from another company and the striker XL from Gravity. I feel that all of my needs (so far) are met with these two picks and I could not be happier. I will be looking into doing another order and playing around a bit more.

Thanks again Chris.
2012 Larrivee Forum V RS-4 #3 (5-4-3...)
2006 Larrivee OMV-10 SE
1953 Martin D-18
Old 07-20-2011, 04:00 PM

Chris

after some serious playing time I have decided that your Gravity Classic is the one I will be using from the 2 you sent.

I have carried the same three pick styles in my pocket for over 2 years now and do to the generous offers from you and Vinnie I have now replaced 2 of them as my new go to's.

I have to admit to having a desk drawer full of various picks similar to your Classic (including stone) and you have succeeded in winning me over wiht the feel, tone, shape and quality of your product.

Thanks for the offer
Rick

"Reputation is made in a moment:Character is built in a lifetime."
Old 07-20-2011, 04:54 PM

Thumbs up

Just got my picks that I ordered today and I am very impressed!!! I ordered a Wave in the classic size and has a very distictive tone and feel. I also love the Classic XL, really nice feel and gives me that little bit more size so I can "dig in" when needed.

Had I known they were this good, I would have ordered more!!! Thanks Chris for your help and for shipping to Canada!! You can be sure I will be talking them up with my friends and fellow band members!!!

NewStrings

Martin D-18 Custom
Jason Romero banjo
Kronbauer TDK
Larrivee LV-03RE
Taylor 614ce
Gibson J-45 Standard
Muth “F” style mandolin
Fender MIM Telecaster w/ TV Jones/Seymore Duncan p/u
Taylor 810ce
Gibson ES Les Paul Premier Goldtop
National Estralita Deluxe Resonator
and many more
Old 07-23-2011, 12:04 PM

Your picks are beautiful. Any chance of making a style in the size and shape of the Fender 358? This is the only kind of pick I like anymore, and Fender changed to a far inferior (IMO) material a few years ago.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:01 PM

I received my free test pick earlier in the week, I like it. Thanks.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemonk View Post
Your picks are beautiful. Any chance of making a style in the size and shape of the Fender 358? This is the only kind of pick I like anymore, and Fender changed to a far inferior (IMO) material a few years ago.
Yeah, I can do that. Can you email your info and that model number so I won't forget? [email protected]

Premium, Handmade Guitar Picks. With great care and precision, we offer these to you. Available in all Sam Ash Music locations.

http://www.gravitypicks.com
Old 07-29-2011, 01:22 AM

Just got my samples in the mail today (Chris was very generous in allowing a sample after such time). Classic XL in 1.5 and Classic in 3.0, looking forward to getting in some quality play time this weekend. Reading all these reviews has me excited!

Last edited by cmds; 07-29-2011 at 01:52 AM.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:35 AM

These are amazing! They stick to your your fingers like glue. How did they do that?
Old 07-29-2011, 06:44 PM

Hope the demo is still active!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace