The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace

Old 07-02-2011, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Thumbs up Terrific tone

I sent Chris a message and received a few very nice samples in a variety of sizes. The tone on these picks is outstanding. The thicker picks enhance the midrange of the tone. I highly recommend these picks to anyone who hasn't tried them. Clear, clean, articulate sound.

Taylorcrazy_____________

Old 07-03-2011, 12:04 PM

Default trial picks

Hello!! First off I want to thank Chris for the chance to try one of his picks. As stated in a different post I wont A-B against other brands as they are all different in their own way. The pick fit my style very well. A little thicker and not as round than what I use (I use a light) but I like the difference and the option depending on what I am playing. I like the feel and the different tone it produced,(than my pick). While strumming and single note picking it glided over the strings easily and produced a very nice sound. Build quality was very good. Again, thanks Chris for the opportunity!!
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 07-04-2011, 08:02 AM
Whippersnapper

Chris sent me one of his Striker Standard picks in .75 mm. I like lighter picks when I play acoustic, and I like the three uniform points as I don't ever play with anything but the pointiest tip on a pick, so it doesn't really matter how I hold these kinds of picks.

I am really impressed with the way it feels between my fingers. It's a firm pick with an almost rubber-like tacky feel when it warms up between your fingers. It has a nice sound, too. It's not bright like many lighter picks, and there's not much in the way of pick noise either. I used it for a bunch of songs this past weekend at various gigs and was impressed with the overall performance. I will be using it again.

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 07-04-2011, 07:50 PM

i like mine so much i started a thread about my experience with gravity picks. i bought a couple and i will probably order some more.
mike c
Old 07-05-2011, 11:03 AM

I ordered the Striker Standard and the Classic Standard today! Can't wait!
Old 07-05-2011, 01:53 PM

I got my samples in the mail today! Chris sent me a 3mm and 1.5mm Classic. I have to say, I LOVE the feel of them in my hand. They don't move at all and are very comfortable. I'm still having a hard time choosing between the two, but I am leaning towards the 3mm pick. I would love these in a 2mm size.

Thanks for the opportunity Chris! Very generous offer.

EDIT: I've spent a few hours with the picks I was sent as samples. I've completely grown to love these things. The texture is unlike any pick I've used before (must be the acrylic) and I love how they glide across the strings. Normally, I don't use a very heavy pick on my acoustics, but I love the way these feel. Not to mention, they look awesome! I ordered a .75mm classic to try out with an acoustic, too. Great product!

Last edited by Hypnos; 07-05-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:47 PM

First and foremost I wish to thank Chris for his generous offer to AGF members. I felt lucky to learn I would be a part of this 'give away'. Now I feel even more lucky.

I received one pick from Chris on Tuesday, July 5th. When I received the envelope, I was afraid there would be nothing in it as the Postal Service had ripped the envelope to the point that only about one inch at the bottom was intact This seems to be a common thing in my rural area.

Back to the receipt of the package.... I had received one pick, a Gravity Classic XL. At first glance, I thought this pick would be slick between my fingers and I'd have some trouble holding it. Boy was I wrong. There is nothing slick about the pick other than being cool in appearance.

I've played with this pick since receiving it. I really like how the guitar (814ce) sounds in the strumming and even individual picking of notes. There is clarity in sound and the feel is very good. I usually used a little lighter guage pick before this, but I think I am not turning back to them.

Thanks Chris Fahey for your offer extended to me. I am very happy
Old 07-08-2011, 12:51 PM

phenomenal. I received my sample today, which was a lot quicker than I anticipated, and the picks are great. I received the Razer, and it is very, very precise.

I love how smooth the pick is across the string; virtually no drag.

The thing that amazed me the most, though, was the increase in volume over my other picks. It's actually louder with less effort. My trusty Casein (red bear material) pick now sits in the drawer, and the Razer has taken its place in my wallet.

Thanks Chris, for great service and a great product. I will tell everyone about this pick
Old 07-08-2011, 02:07 PM

Thanks for the sample!! I really like that way it glides across the strings and I too have seen an increase in volume with less effort. I use different picks for different things like alot of people and I am looking forward to trying out some of the other varieties! Thanks for the test drive I will be showing it around to friends and will share other opinions as they come in!
Colossians 3:23

Cort EARTH CUSTOM SHOP SERIES ECCNA for sale or trade

MIM Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster in Translucent red

MIM Blacktop Tele (black on black)

ESP (LTD)EC-401-VF (les paul in flamed honeyburst)

Burner # 9 Hormigo and Carpathian spruce. Amazing! combo of woods and craftsmanship!(not for sale at any price!)
Thank you Paul and Kyle!!
Old 07-10-2011, 05:59 PM

I received two samples, a Classic and a Classic mini. Both were red so I believe that means they were the 1.5mm.

The Classic was nice for strumming my dread and had very little clicking noise on the strings. It was easy to hold and had a nice grip. The Classic mini was equally nice, but too small for my taste. I received the smaller pick for flat picking, but I'm still trying to find the right size for me.

As I said, both of these were red which was better than the clear. I was afraid I was going to get a clear pick and lose it on the floor. Overall, these are very nice picks for a very reasonable price. I'm sure I will be ordering some as soon as I get the right size down.

Last edited by Webizul; 07-10-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Got the sample..

i love the sound of it..and want to order some..

wish they have thumbpicks as well.~

Goodall Jumbo Royal Hawaiian

Merill & Co C-41

Merill & Co OM-18
Old 07-14-2011, 01:10 PM

Just sent Chris an email and I am looking forward to trying these out!
Old 07-14-2011, 01:14 PM

I'm currently loving a 3mm "Smoke" colored Wave XL for Gypsy Jazz playing...it's (gasp!) louder and more articulate than my Wegen!

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 07-14-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I'm currently loving a 3mm "Smoke" colored Wave XL for Gypsy Jazz playing...it's (gasp!) louder and more articulate than my Wegen!
Without departing too much from the intent of this thread, how does Gypsy Jazz compare to, let's say, a Joe Pass style or even bluegrass -- all in regard to pick selection?

A veteran is someone who at one point in his or her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
Old 07-14-2011, 01:38 PM

For gypsy jazz, I want it loud! I want a nice bright, but non-clicky pick, that can take a licking for all that pounding rhythm. It's gotta have a good grip, because you play Gypsy jazz hard! I also like these picks pretty large so that I'm getting only pick on the strings during rhythm, not slicing up my fingers.

For bop/post-bop/solo guitar (really, "electric" jazz guitar in general), right now I like the John Pearse Fast Turtles, 2.5mm...for these genres, I'm playing sooo much lighter...I want something that sounds like my thumb, ideally, but with the dexterity of a pick. I want a round, soft, fat tone with no clickiness.

If you're bored and want to go to my site, if you listen to "Sweet Sue" and "Someday My Prince Will Come" to get an idea of the tones I'm after.

Basically, the difference is "bright" and "dark." So it has less to do with overall size and shape and more of with how the material makes the string sound when struck. I used to use much smaller picks (still thick, but smaller footprint) before I got into Gypsy jazz, now I find it easier to stay with bigger ones for everything.

Bluegrass, I dunno, because I don't play it. I'd imagine if I was to pick it up, I'd want something closer to what I use for gypsy jazz...

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace