The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-04-2014, 08:13 AM

Default MXL V67G or Behringer C2?

I need some advice. My goal is to record myself singing and playing an acoustic guitar. I prefer to have one channel being voice and the other being guitar. My current recording setup is a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 with a my JJB equipped guitar plugged straight in and a RadioShack dynamic mic for vocals. Well, the radioshack mic seems to be in the process of dying (loud hum that follows the mic, no matter the channel) so I'm thinking of a low budget mic replacement.

I'm trying to decide between the MXL V67g and the Behringer C2 pair. I know they are completely different mics so I'm trying to decide what will give me the most flexibility. I'm leaning towards the V67g but my concern is that I'm recording in my living room where I don't have too much sound treatment control. Will it pick up too much surrounding room noise or would I be better off with something with a tighter cardiod pattern? I'm thinking that using one or both of the C2s will give me much tighter mic placement / signal control at a slight loss of quality.

Any other mic suggestions that I'm not thinking of? I'd prefer to stay below $100 as I'm not making studio records, it's just a learning tool.

Thanks!

Last edited by RedJoker; 04-04-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

The MXL V67g is my favorite mic. It works well with my voice and with guitar. The Behringer B series mics get decent reviews but I haen't heard much good about the C series. Of the two you list I would go with the MXL.

Shure and Rode also make some good mics in that price range.

If you want a mic similar to the Behringer look into the Shure SM57 which sells for around $100. I have a pair of Samson C02 mics that I use for recording stereo. They are around $120 for a pair. I have no complaints about them at all.

Todd
Old 04-04-2014, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
…If you want a mic similar to the Behringer look into the Shure SM57 which sells for around $100. I have a pair of Samson C02 mics that I use for recording stereo. They are around $120 for a pair. I have no complaints about them at all.
Hi Todd...
I think you must have something mixed up. The SM-57 is a dynamic mic and the Behringer C series are all condenser mics. They are not in the same category at all.

A Behringer XM-8500 dynamic mic without the pop-screen very closely approximates an SM-57 (and costs $25). Actually tonally it splits the difference between a Shure SM-57 & SM-58. Great for PA work, but not so much for recordings. The C-2 small diaphragm pair would likely be a better low cost choice for recording guitars.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 04-04-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Todd...
I think you must have something mixed up. The SM-57 is a dynamic mic and the Behringer C series are all condenser mics. They are not in the same category at all.

A Behringer XM-8500 dynamic mic without the pop-screen very closely approximates an SM-57 (and costs $25). Actually tonally it splits the difference between a Shure SM-57 & SM-58.

Sorry, my mistake.

Todd
Old 04-04-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
The MXL V67g is my favorite mic. It works well with my voice and with guitar.
You're one of the folks that got me looking at that mic so thank you!
Old 04-05-2014, 07:14 AM

I can actually add an AKG Percetion 220 to the list as my local music shop has a used one for sale cheaper than the MXL V67g.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:11 PM

also, check out some of the audio technica models. there should be some in your price range.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 04-06-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
I need some advice. My goal is to record myself singing and playing an acoustic guitar. I prefer to have one channel being voice and the other being guitar. My current recording setup is a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 with a my JJB equipped guitar plugged straight in and a RadioShack dynamic mic for vocals. Well, the radioshack mic seems to be in the process of dying (loud hum that follows the mic, no matter the channel) so I'm thinking of a low budget mic replacement.

I'm trying to decide between the MXL V67g and the Behringer C2 pair. I know they are completely different mics so I'm trying to decide what will give me the most flexibility. I'm leaning towards the V67g but my concern is that I'm recording in my living room where I don't have too much sound treatment control. Will it pick up too much surrounding room noise or would I be better off with something with a tighter cardiod pattern? I'm thinking that using one or both of the C2s will give me much tighter mic placement / signal control at a slight loss of quality.

Any other mic suggestions that I'm not thinking of? I'd prefer to stay below $100 as I'm not making studio records, it's just a learning tool.

Thanks!
My experience with the V67g is that it will pick up a lot of the room. If you have a good recording space it can reveal a nice sense of ambience. Conversely, if your recording area is not a great sounding room you might not like the results. The V67g is a great large diaphram condenser mic value but in a room that is not close to ideal, I'd do close micing with a good dynamic mic (SM57 for example) to minimize the room effect. Just a thought.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 04-15-2014, 06:36 AM

My main vocal mic is a Shure SM7b, one that may not be for your needs as it is more expensive and gain hungry. However I recently picked up a new MXL V67G for 84 bucks for use in other vocal scenarios and singers. I have tried it on Acoustic guitar the other day. I plan on doing my own mods in the coming weeks starting with replacing the capsule with a RK-87 then determining if I want to go further. Many claim the 67G is fine stock, they just roll of some at 12k. For the money it can't be beat. catdaddy is correct about it picking up a lot of the room and on the cheap you can get moving blankets or even ones with more sound absorption fairly reasonable. Some have Grommets if you desire. The thing is think about your Recording environment and there are many ways to improve and treat your room without spending a lot of cash. I am sure many forum members can provide urls here is one I offer as I am only a member no other affiliations
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/studi...ing-acoustics/
there are some threads for low-enders like myself but pretty good discussions
Btw I have seen the AT-2020 for $50.00 as of late but I think the the V67G smokes it for 34 bucks more
edit, forgot to add that I did track my vocals with it as well. Too bad I had a cold but I was pleasantly surprised. My voice works well with the Sm7b and I am so used to it, but at times my voice is at varying timbres and I need a good vocal mic for Female singers. The reason for me to mod the 67G is that it is not a costly endeavor and I am not polishing a t**d

Last edited by whitecloud; 04-15-2014 at 06:45 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 04-15-2014, 07:14 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone.

To provide an update, I've added some minor sound treatment to the living room but decided to hold off on the condensor mic until I can get my den / office back. (It's currently storing the interior of a car I'm building.) Once I get that room back, I'll be able to apply some room treatments to be able to take advantage of the condensors. In the meantime, I'm borrowing a GLS ES-57 (SM57 clone) and will keep an eye out for any great deals.

Thanks for the advice!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD