The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-20-2023, 02:53 AM

Default Anthem mic falls off (and other thoughts on pickups and percusive stuff)

Hi acoustic guitar people!

I've been using the LR Baggs Anthem pickup system in my Furch G24SF (special forces, yay!) for some time now.

It's been my dedicated amplified guitar which I play in a folk duo. As my buddy does most of the strumming, I play the bass, lead guitar (which is what the amplified maple is really great for) and as I progressed with my technique, I've started adding some drums, playing percusively.

And I might have been overly enthusiastic with all the possibilities beating the guitar brings, because my internal mic has fallen off.

Now what would be the firmest, safest possible way to attach it back?

I Imagine cleaning everything with alcohol, using (flexible) super glue and adding some pressure (using a clamp until it dries)? Or some sort of tape? 3M?

I want to keep the beat going on gigs, but that obviusly means more vibrations to the top, which is how the mic dismounted. I remember Tommy Emmanuel talking about his mic taped to the guitar on a video a few years back, now I have an Idea how that happened

Also I've been reading on internal mics for long (mostly on this forum!), but the learning curve seems a bit steep, looks like I'd need to become an electric engineer or at least hook up with one. Would it be worth it or should I stick to the ok-ish Anthem?

Thanks a bunch, pardon my english (not a native speaker)
Standa

Furch G24SF
Furch D31SR
Furch Om22CM
Sire Marcus Miller M7 Bass
Old 12-20-2023, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

I would "stick with" double-sided tape (pun intended ). Clean the existing surface with mineral spirits would be my suggestion, as that's likely to be least harmful if it drips somewhere, and also more likely to clean up existing adhesive. You can use [denatured] alcohol, but it can really damage lacquer and you should be more careful with that.

Get an inspection mirror and be sure the surface is cleaned, and maybe even hit it with a bit of sandpaper and then clean again so it's completely free of anything else, and be sure you can see where the mic needs to go. If it's not able to fit completely on the bridge plate, it might be better off somewhere else, and then you'll probably need to fiddle with that recessed control to find the correct balance so the mix control works optimally.

I would use something really sticky, like you might find for automobile use, i.e., an environment where a lot of vibration is part of the engineering/design in the tape. Here's a page on the [US] Amazon site. I've used some of these, and they're semi-permanent. I wouldn't use glue - it should not be necessary, IMO.

https://www.amazon.com/3m-automotive...ble+sided+tape
Old 12-20-2023, 09:37 AM

I'm gonna go with the previous suggestion for double sided tape..

I'd avoid super glues of any sort.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 12-20-2023, 01:57 PM

Thank you kindly, that makes sense. I'll definitely check the supply of 3M tapes with automobiles in mind, I guess there'll be plenty to choose from here in central EU.

Furch finish seems pretty indestructible, but mineral spirits seem like a better solution anyhow!

Furch G24SF
Furch D31SR
Furch Om22CM
Sire Marcus Miller M7 Bass
Old 12-20-2023, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Yep, clean and re-tape.

Contact Baggs. In the states, they send replacement adhesive pads at no charge. They generally hold for quite a long time.
Old 12-20-2023, 08:04 PM

I installed a Matrix Infinity Mic Blend to my custom OM, and when doing that it was suggested to add a dab of superglue to the double sided tape that came with the mic. It's been solid as a rock for 5yrs so far.
Something to think about.
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 12-21-2023, 05:07 AM
Charter Member

Check out Cole Clark guitars for some of the best percussive friendly-pickups. I started using one for the same reason and ended up loving the guitars as much as any other!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification