The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-20-2004, 09:23 AM

Thumbs up

Matt, I haven't gotten to hear the C.O.T yet but I'm really interested in hearing the Baggs system. I thing the C.O.T would be an awesome guitar for a worship leader. The way I understand it is just going into a PA the Baggs has a warmer low end and sounds better than the Fishman. However if you're thinking of getting an AURA, I doubt the LR. Baggs system by itself would sound as good as the Fishman system with the AURA plus the Fishman onboard preamp has the tuner. I can tell you that I've used a stereo Y cable to separate the internal mic signal and piezo signal and ran the mic signal into one channel and the piezo into the Aura and then into another channel and it sounds like you're in the studio when you're on stage.
I can't wait until Fishman gets a Legacy AE sound image for the Aura. Right now I'm using a Martin D28 sound image and it sounds great. I've heard that if you use an image of your actual guitar the sound is astounding.

Again though, the C.O.T would be an awesome Worship guitar. By the way, with these guitars I can't really see it going out of tune while you're on stage. These necks are so stable that I can go about a week and it's still in tune!! REALLY!
Old 07-20-2004, 09:31 AM

[QUOTE=Pat]
I can't wait until Fishman gets a Legacy AE sound image for the Aura. [QUOTE]
Pat,
Send yours in and get it modeled! For us all! I really think a CA is the guitar for me. I was considering a D35 but I was always so paranoid about my other Martin. The COT is so fitting for worship. Its a guitar that would truly have so much meaning to me.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 07-21-2004, 09:29 PM

Talking

I think you'd REALLY love the COT and it would really have a special meaning for you. If I was rich I'd buy the C.O.T just for what it stands for. I have asked Cal at CA several times if they have a 12 string in the works and so far nothing is definite but I'm hoping they'll make one some day.
I'd love a 12 string C.O.T!!!!
That would be REALLY cool. You'd have the whole Crown of Thorns meaning and the guitar would sound like angels singing. WOW! That would be AWESOME!! CAL, if you're reading this, I just made a great suggestion.
Hey, you could even use that idea to promote your C.O.T 6 string!!!

I've always thought a nice 12-string does have a nice angelic ring to it.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:55 PM

I am torn between the COT and the Legacy AE. What I really want is a COT with the Fishman. Can they do that? I emailed them on Monday with no response yet. And now a Breedlove Focus Dread has creeped onto my radar. I'm still sold on the the CA's though. Indestructability is a good thing. I don;t think I'll go with an Aura, I can't see me going through the trouble of splitting the signal and rerouting it, etc. I'm more of a plug and play guy, but I guess I should take control of my sound, since the sound at our church is notoriously bad. All I hear is the sorry, blown, JBL monitor. It doesn't really matter though, its all a sweet sound.
COT? Legacy? .....Breedlove?! ARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

1998 Very Sweet Wife
Old 07-22-2004, 09:44 AM

C.O.T. 12 string would be very appealing to me as well, as long as it had a "full" 1.875 nut width like Taylor,Tacoma, Alvarez and not the narrower Martin 12 string spacing.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:28 PM

Talking

Matt, My Legacy AE sounds great even without the AURA but I think if you're plugging straight into a PA, I've heard the C.O.T might be a better way to go. I heard from a reliable source that the Fishman sounds a little better through an Acoustic amp but if your going straight into a PA the LR. Baggs imix might sound better. I can pretty much guarantee you that you'll be happy with either guitar!!

I'm pretty sure that IF they ever make a 12-string it will be a dreadnaught so it will maybe be available in a Legacy AE model and a C.O.T model. I wouldn't count on a 12-string being available real soon but if we keep asking, just maybe.

I think the best thing all CA owners can do now is keep giving HONEST, opinions about how incredible these guitars really are. I stress the word HONEST simply because some people might be skeptical about how much we love out CA's and think we're not being totally truthful. If anyone is skeptical of our overflowing joy, try one out for yourself!!
Also, the more guitars CA sells, the more happy customers there will be and it will be more likely that CA will be able to come out with different models to add to our collections. I think CA is a GREAT company and I want to see them be successful beyond their wildest dreams.
I really think it is great that CA is bold enough to come out with a guitar like the C.O.T. That says a lot to me!!
Old 07-25-2004, 12:46 PM

Talking

Wow, some people are really offended by CA Guitars!!

A couple of guys on another thread just claimed that a CA would be damaged as easily as a wooden guitar! Obviously they're totally uninformed.

I think it is funny that the same people who love Martins and hate Carbon fiber guitars won't address the fact that Martin is attempting to make graphite guitars also. Obviously Carbon fiber is an awesome material with a great future. I really think CA is the leader of the pack in this catagory.

Let me know which CA you decide on getting and how you like it!!!
Old 07-25-2004, 01:04 PM

Pat,
I'll be heading to Elderly next weekend to try them out.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
Old 07-25-2004, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat
I think it is funny that the same people who love Martins and hate Carbon fiber guitars won't address the fact that Martin is attempting to make graphite guitars also. Obviously Carbon fiber is an awesome material with a great future. I really think CA is the leader of the pack in this catagory.
Just because they lead the pack doesn't mean the pack is that impressive.

I like Martins. When they stop making wood guitars and make all graphite guitars I might find another guitar to like.

Carboon guitars are fine but it's silly to compare them to wood guitars. That's like comparing a Fender Telecaster to a Gibson Super 400. They are too different.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McGriff
Pat,
I'll be heading to Elderly next weekend to try them out.
Please give us an Elderly report on C.A. guitars. That's where I've tried a few. ( and how they got on my GAS list)
Old 07-26-2004, 12:01 PM

Just found out that First Quality is a dealer. May have to make a trip to check those puppies out. Gotta watch out though, that place is GAS nirvana.
Think I'll be safe on the CA though... want to wait for those 1.75" nuts before I bite

http://www.myspace.com/jasmusicspace
1996 Seagull S12 Plus
Old 07-26-2004, 03:49 PM

Looks like my trip to Elderly has been squashed. I'll have to sit in the training session on Saturday. I saw FQMS is a dealer and they seem to have better pricing(surprisingly).

1998 Very Sweet Wife
Old 05-04-2006, 01:56 PM

I've been a guitarist since 1969. I loathe most acoustic electrics because they sound tinny, unnatural, metallic. The few times I have heard an amplified acoustic sound as good as my 1935 Martin I have gone on stage afterwards to see what it was. Everytime it has had a Baggs pickup system. On a trip to Texas last month I heard a gorgeous guitar in a church service. Went up afterwards and met my first CA guitar - a dreadnought that belonged to composer Paul Beloche. Sure enough it had a Baggs. But I played it unamplified and immediately fell in love with the balanced airy tone: full bass, rich midrange, definition and sustain, and great playability. It was one of those rare GREAT guitars. (The last truly great one I played was a late 70s Guild).
What really cinched it was when the owner told me he only had to tune it every few weeks. Now I'm getting ready to order one. Would I love another Martin? Sure. But this guitar has a wonderful voice, and removes the need to baby it all the time. I have time to play a guitar, but not to serve it. I'm sold on CA.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:04 PM

Has anyone used the Baggs and Aura extensively, and can you comment on the audio quality? Sure variety and flexibility are nice, but I think first and foremost is a great amplified tone. Have you heard both live and can you comment on the differences?
Old 05-09-2006, 01:28 PM

Pat--if you are still checking the thread--I was in Mecca (Nashville) last summer, and had the opportunity to go to Gruhen Guitars (did I spell that right?). I got to play the COT--oohwow! I would never have believed any talk about this axe if I had not played it for myself. It was a real struggle to walk out of there without that guitar, but, on vacation, insufficient buckos... I am going to retire next year, and my R-gift to myself will be my legacy instrument. In the crosshairs right now is probably a mahogany/Adirondack dread, likely a Collings D1A, (far and away the more $$ of the two) but a CA (probably a Bluegrass, or a COT--I too play <>< music at church) is defininitly on the short list to make my rack, after the Collings. Seeing that CA can so accurately emulate a nice rosewood guitar, and has all the other advantages listed in the above threads, I see no compelling reason to spend biggus buckus on a rosewood, where the price ranges from bearable to heartstopping... I am looking forward to CA getting their new factory up and running--enjoy your L AE, and give some serious thought to that COT--don't worry about what the "wood snobs" think!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion