The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-08-2018, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

Default New Wood... strong as CF

It's "comparable to carbon fiber, but much less expensive."

It can stop a speeding bullet...

It's Super Wood...

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0207151829.htm
Old 02-08-2018, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

That sounds really exciting.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-08-2018, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Soooo... you're saying there's something besides carbon fiber that could be used to build guitars??

I didn't see anything in that article that said how "bendable" this new wood might be. Would making it more dense make it unusable as a soundboard? These are the really important questions!
Old 02-08-2018, 09:47 AM

The write-up mentions that it could be "molded before treatment". That sounds like a lay-up process followed with something akin to heat treating metal, or perhaps curing in an autoclave. I also immediately thought that it might be too heavy for a soundboard or too expensive, but they indicate that it would be lighter and stiffer than steel of the same thickness, and inexpensive to produce. We'll see. This sounds way more promising than the concept of 3D printing a guitar from plastic to me.

There is a long path between the materials science research lab at university to the actual production of a guitar, however. And I'm not sure about the bullet resistance part -- I try not to play in places like that anymore......
Old 02-08-2018, 10:14 AM
Guest 928

Neat article. I don't see anything regarding the effects of humidity, heat, or cold. To me the most striking part of the article was the discussion of economics; CF may ultimately not compete cost-wise.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Soooo... you're saying there's something besides carbon fiber that could be used to build guitars??
Yes..... eKoa
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-08-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Neat article. I don't see anything regarding the effects of humidity, heat, or cold. .
Probably explodes when dipped in water ... or exposed to nylon strings of course (had to be said)
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-08-2018, 04:53 PM

Guitars made from this new new fandangled super wood? Bah! Call me a luddite, but I'm sticking with traditional carbon fiber.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 02-08-2018, 06:21 PM

The full article is here https://www.umdrightnow.umd.edu/news...er-most-metals

Quote:
The team’s process begins by removing the wood’s lignin, the part of the wood that makes it both rigid and brown in color. Then it is compressed under mild heat, at about 150 F. This causes the cellulose fibers to become very tightly packed. Any defects like holes or knots are crushed together.
The scientists found that the wood’s fibers are pressed together so tightly that they can form strong hydrogen bonds, like a crowd of people who can’t budge – who are also holding hands. The compression makes the wood five times thinner than its original size.
Creating a densified wood is very interesting.
If this is true it will revolutionize the materials market.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
Guitars made from this new new fandangled super wood? Bah! Call me a luddite, but I'm sticking with traditional carbon fiber.
Tradition all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEA................
Old 02-13-2018, 09:05 AM

I am going to run by IKEA and see if they have any build-your-own-guitar kits in stock using this new fangled compressed wood material yet. PM me if you want me to grab you one. I am probably only going to be able to get 30 or 40 of these kits in the back seat with the kids so speak up sooner than later.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 02-13-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
I am going to run by IKEA and see if they have any build-your-own-guitar kits in stock using this new fangled compressed wood material yet. PM me if you want me to grab you one. I am probably only going to be able to get 30 or 40 of these kits in the back seat with the kids so speak up sooner than later.
If it comes to fruition this 5x denser wood will probably sound more like cf than wood.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
I'm not interested in the guitar kit, but grab a Skanka for me, if you would be so kind. They are usually right next to the Skerdnobbins. Thanks!

My wife loves going through IKEA. I go along for the fun of reading the item names. You should get a piece of cheese after making it through that place.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:06 PM

Default New Wood... strong as CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post

Remind me, what is traditional about carbon fiber?
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 02-14-2018, 01:13 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
Remind me, what is traditional about carbon fiber?
tdq was making a funny.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber