The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-12-2017, 03:19 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default 2018 T Drew Heinonen "Olson" SJ Euro/BRW Build thread

We've got another Drew's "Olson" style SJ on the way. If you are new to Drew's work, please check out ExpoTom's build thread here~(Thank you in advance ExpoTom~)

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=459981

Cedar/Cocobolo SJ

The first SJ from Drew was built with Cedar/Cocobolo combination, and it was by far the best Olson-esque SJ sound ever. Some Olson SJ owners have visited our showroom to do A/B comparison with their SJs. They were all amazed by Drew's work. Some folks actually said this particular SJ is an Olson replica. I think this one is a T Drew Heinonen SJ. Drew really well grasped his master's tone and mixed with his own stuff in a subtle way.

An Olson SJ Drew participated in the production & Drew's SJ

An Early Olson SJ & Drew's SJ

Cocobolo back with paua shell back strip

The first one was successful so we are going for a upscale spec this time~

Top - EuroSpruce top
B/S - Brazilian Rosewood
Rosette - Radial BRW/Paua
Backstrip - Paua
Top purfling – Paua
Wedge - BRW
Wedge strips -Paua
Wood binding - flamed koa
Heelcap - BRW bound with Ebony
Smaller and Sharp “H” logo - Paua
Headstock front veneer – BRW bound with W/B Paua Koa
Headstock back veneer - BRW
Fretboard - ebony bound with W/B Paua Koa
Bridge - ebony
Olson dove inlay - Paua
Paua side dot inlay
EVO gold frets
Gotoh 510 gold tuners with black buttons
1 3/4" nut and 2 1/4" saddle

Euro/BRW

BRW with Naphtha

We will come back with more build photos later~

In the meantime we drop the sound sample YT of the Cocobolo SJ here. Please subscribe for more upcoming videos of Fine Luthier built guitars!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-X...ZXpq5Ych3H_zUg

Watch with 1080P for the best sound quality

fineluthiers.com
https://www.facebook.com/fineluthiers

Last edited by AlanHw; 10-13-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:49 AM

Oh, that looks great...if it captures some of that Olson sound it's gonna be something good!
Old 10-12-2017, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

We had a Twin Cities AGF Get-Together a few years ago and were fortunate to have a few local luthiers attend. I believe Drew brought 3 guitars to that event; a flat-top SJ, an OM, and a parlor. While all were really nice, the OM happened to be my favorite while others preferred the SJ. To me, the SJ that he brought seemed really nice for singer/songwriter type of stuff while the OM seemed a great match for solo instrumental stuff. I think it's about matching the instrument to the way you play, what you play, and how you like to hear it. Or maybe I was drawn to the OM partially because of the tonewoods used (BRW and Adi).

This build looks really nice so far!

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 10-12-2017, 11:34 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamianL View Post
Oh, that looks great...if it captures some of that Olson sound it's gonna be something good!
Sure things! This one is going to be great~
Old 10-12-2017, 11:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
We had a Twin Cities AGF Get-Together a few years ago and were fortunate to have a few local luthiers attend. I believe Drew brought 3 guitars to that event; a flat-top SJ, an OM, and a parlor. While all were really nice, the OM happened to be my favorite while others preferred the SJ. To me, the SJ that he brought seemed really nice for singer/songwriter type of stuff while the OM seemed a great match for solo instrumental stuff. I think it's about matching the instrument to the way you play, what you play, and how you like to hear it. Or maybe I was drawn to the OM partially because of the tonewoods used (BRW and Adi).

This build looks really nice so far!
Thanks for sharing your exp with Drew's guitars! ADI/BRW is a great Combo~ Drew's recent SJs sounds better than those earlier SJs. IMO, Olson style SJ is a quite versatile guitar that could handle many different playing styles but it is best suited for Fingerstyle as Jim described.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:51 PM

Will be following this thread for sure. Love mine and I'm tempted to go with a spruce SJ too. (If only I had funds...)
Old 10-13-2017, 10:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpoTom View Post
Will be following this thread for sure. Love mine and I'm tempted to go with a spruce SJ too. (If only I had funds...)
ExpoTom, Your SJ is great one~ After this thread, you might go for a Spruce SJ!
Old 10-14-2017, 04:34 AM

I take issue honestly with the calling out the copy as an "Olson SJ"... it is clearly trying to capitalize on the notoriety of the Olson guitar. Make a copy, great, everyone will know that it is but I think it is somewhat offensive to come right out and say it.

An Olson is the only thing that will ever be an Olson.

Olson Brazilian Dread #1325
Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
Olson Tiger Myrtle Dread #1355
Olson Brazilian Jumbo #1351
Olson 12-string Jumbo (one of only a few)
Martin D-42 Johnny Cash #51/200 (only 80 made)
And a few others

Quite a few limited edition and rare Martins
-----------------

http://www.kekomusic.com
Old 10-14-2017, 05:20 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpabolting View Post
I take issue honestly with the calling out the copy as an "Olson SJ"... it is clearly trying to capitalize on the notoriety of the Olson guitar. Make a copy, great, everyone will know that it is but I think it is somewhat offensive to come right out and say it.

Hi, cpabolting

You have the point there. So I actually said I think this is T Drew Heinonen SJ on the introduction. However, Drew' SJ is patterned after Olson SJ with Jim's permission. IMO Honoring his master's name is also appropriate for this specific model. It is the same for the dove inlay with Jim's permission but there is the stipulation that they are credited as "Olson" style doves.
The same principle as Manzer wedge, Laskin bevel we actually have to honor their names for their creation... I think I forgot to put "style" after Olson.
Old 10-14-2017, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful guitars.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHw View Post
Hi, cpabolting

You have the point there. So I actually said I think this is T Drew Heinonen SJ on the introduction. However, Drew' SJ is patterned after Olson SJ with Jim's permission. IMO Honoring his master's name is also appropriate for this specific model. It is the same for the dove inlay with Jim's permission but there is the stipulation that they are credited as "Olson" style doves.
The same principle as Manzer wedge, Laskin bevel we actually have to honor their names for their creation... I think I forgot to put "style" after Olson.
Well pretty much all the SJ's being built these days are very Olsonesque....check out Applegate guitars....who are almost literal copies...but he doesn't identify them as Olsons...and neither does anyone I have seen even if near duplicates...anyway, just my perspective.

Olson Brazilian Dread #1325
Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
Olson Tiger Myrtle Dread #1355
Olson Brazilian Jumbo #1351
Olson 12-string Jumbo (one of only a few)
Martin D-42 Johnny Cash #51/200 (only 80 made)
And a few others

Quite a few limited edition and rare Martins
-----------------

http://www.kekomusic.com
Old 10-14-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Well pretty much all the SJ's being built these days are very Olsonesque....check out Applegate guitars....who are almost literal copies...but he doesn't identify them as Olsons...and neither does anyone I have seen even if near duplicates...anyway, just my perspective.
Mr. Olson has never seemed to have to defend his brand. Yet, you do. I wonder why....?
Old 10-14-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:

I have to admit, I had similar feelings with ExpoTom's build thread, but now checking out Drew's thread, he lists it the same way and give's Jim credit for the dimensions etc. so I now understand more the point of how these guitars are named....
Old 10-14-2017, 05:31 PM

Mr. Olson does not defend his brand because the man is super humble, but he also knows that he got many ideas from other luthiers on his early careers. He is a generous man and shares any of his ideas and tools with anyone who asks.

Only people that could possibly claim some lineage to Jim Olson would be Applegate and Heinonen though.

Jim helped Brian Applegate a lot in his early career mentoring him and coaching him, and allowing him to use his SJ model dimensions and specs. I think he even carved necks for Brian initially in his CNC. Applegate since then made many changes and has his own voice on his guitars, though you can find similarities between the two SJs.

Drew Heinonen worked as a helper for 2 years with Jim until 2 years ago, and Jim was gracious enough to let Drew use his SJ dimensions and specs, when Drew went solo.

From the builder's perspective, I think they are just grateful to have Jim as their mentor/friend. It is us, the end customers and dealers, who wants to link them more than maybe they should be. I see similar things happening in the Somogyi world. Many claims by the customers and dealers, "this particular one is better than the real Somogyi (and much cheaper)". But I have not played any of the ex-apprentices guitars that were as good as the real Somogyi.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:50 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
As I know, Brian is doing his own voicing but Drew is still following the same method for the voicing ... I don't want to make it look like a controversial issue and also cause trouble to Drew as a dealer. I will not use "Olson" at the AGF from now on. I've never thought of this could be so much offensive to someone but you let me realize now. Thank you for your insight.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop