The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-04-2016, 07:03 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Yohannah, you may already know, and not that it matters, but the Cargo and KM are both designed by Ellis Seal who originally owned Composite Acoustics before they went under and Peavey took them over. He re-surfaced with McPherson to bring them into the CF world.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:53 PM

Not to hijack the OP's intentions on a/b comparisons with the McP and Cargo, but I'm very impressed with the sound/ portability factor of the Journey OF660.

It is really funny because I'm not typically a guy that likes an offset sound hole and readily admit that I'm initially drawn to aesthetics that lean more to the traditional- carbon or otherwise. However, Emerald and Journey have really shaped my thinking on this, the OF660 is a really cool guitar. It has all the right specs for a fingerstyle instrument that you can not only fly with but take camping, work or anywhere. The tone is killer considering the body size. I love the 2 1/4 string spacing at the bridge, the 1 3/4 nut, the Manzer wedge and arm bevel. All this before the collapsible neck feature?

Holy cow this guitar has it all- even in the tone department. When you consider the cool backpack that comes with it, it is worth every penny they are asking in my honest opinion.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:49 PM

This is my NGD for a Journey OF660 and I will post some observations on it in a separate thread, but I share Sean's sentiments about the Journey. A well thought out design. I also own a Rainsong Parlor P12, and a Shorty.

Back to the OP, what I am learning is that while they all might sound somewhat different in an AB comparison, much depends on how acoustic guitars are set up, with CF being no exception. Factors that are especially important (to me) such as saddle height, neck relief, and string type, make a huge difference in playability, and tone as well. At first all three of my CF acoustic guitars played differently than they do now, before I set them up to my liking. They "feel right" after a good setup, and I think they sound wonderful too, though each one has a certain character that the other lacks.

My advice is to try them all if you can, and settle on a favorite based on your experience with them.

I also mention this as a cautionary reminder about judging videos comparing different CF models, especially when recorded in a guitar store using off-the-rack instruments. It is safe to assume, unless the reviewer says otherwise, that each guitar was not set up beforehand to satisfy the player's personal preferences, further complicating a straight AB comparison of the sound you hear.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Yohannah, you may already know, and not that it matters, but the Cargo and KM are both designed by Ellis Seal who originally owned Composite Acoustics before they went under and Peavey took them over. He re-surfaced with McPherson to bring them into the CF world.
Thank you. I figured that out from watching some more videos. It's interesting.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res Ipsa View Post
This is my NGD for a Journey OF660 and I will post some observations on it in a separate thread, but I share Sean's sentiments about the Journey. A well thought out design. I also own a Rainsong Parlor P12, and a Shorty.

Back to the OP, what I am learning is that while they all might sound somewhat different in an AB comparison, much depends on how acoustic guitars are set up, with CF being no exception. Factors that are especially important (to me) such as saddle height, neck relief, and string type, make a huge difference in playability, and tone as well. At first all three of my CF acoustic guitars played differently than they do now, before I set them up to my liking. They "feel right" after a good setup, and I think they sound wonderful too, though each one has a certain character that the other lacks.

My advice is to try them all if you can, and settle on a favorite based on your experience with them.

I also mention this as a cautionary reminder about judging videos comparing different CF models, especially when recorded in a guitar store using off-the-rack instruments. It is safe to assume, unless the reviewer says otherwise, that each guitar was not set up beforehand to satisfy the player's personal preferences, further complicating a straight AB comparison of the sound you hear.
Unfortunately, I can't see them all. I do have a Cargo, but the other three would require travel.

I don't know enough about set up to make those changes and differences, at this stage of my life. It's exciting to hear about these things and the impact they have on the instruments. Thank you.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Tone perception - especially over the interweb - and verbal descriptions are iffy at best, but:

RS Parlor - boxy, small and thin sounding
KM - rich and full tone, woody, my #1 choice of the options shown
Cargo - subdued, smallish "parlory" tone, but not bad overall
Journey - #2 overall in my mind, surprisingly good, a bit quiet overall

I own a Cargo gloss and have played a Rainsong Parlor once or twice in a store. I remember it sounding better than the video would suggest, FWIW.
To my ear, the RS sounded the most immediate and present, having that classic CF sparkle. And I agree that the KM had a rounder and woodier tone. Both very nice, simply different. The other two guitars seemed a tad more muted sounding.

Good luck on your search.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 08-16-2016, 09:05 PM

here is the KM one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV1zJOusyrk
Old 08-21-2016, 07:18 PM

It's interesting how the opinions can vary so much. It is really hard to get a handle on volume and tone when listening on a computer. My speakers or headphones, may sound completely different than somebody else's. Not to mention everybody's hearing is different. Some people hear different frequencies more prominent than others. It's a personal taste for sure. To me the parlor sounded thin and was my least favorite and the other three were all pretty close and I would be happy with any of them. But I would need to hear them live to really make an informed decision.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:10 AM

Hate to revive an old thread, but now that the Kevin Michael is officially now a McPherson (dropping kevin michael) and Mcpherson has increased the sturdiness of the neck and reupdated the acoustic pickup, anyone have any update as to how the McPherson Touring compares to the Cargo? (Mcpherson version, not older Kevin Michael version). As the style is largely the same, does the Mcpherson Touring now kick the Cargo clear out of the water or honestly not that much of a difference to justify the price difference? Just curious. New charter member here so getting my fees worth in questions haha.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:59 AM

I owned a Cargo (pre-Peavey) and I have also played a new one. In addition, I have played the McPherson Touring and the Rainsong Parlor. The Cargo certainly sounds great, but I couldn't get used to the feel. I believe it is because of the scale length. I liked the Parlor a lot. Kept putting it down and then coming back to it in the store. The McPherson touring didn't sound bad but it didn't overly impress me. I'll admit I didn't play for long because of the price tag. The used one at GC might be a very good deal. I also played a Rainsong dreadnaught, and loved the sound, but that's bigger than I want. I've been considering the Rainsong Parlor vs. the Journey RT660 (I have other thread here requesting opinions on that), but I'm now also considering the Rainsong OM. It doesn't appear to be that much larger than the Parlor. Good luck in your search!

A great woman...
Two really nice guitars...
I am blessed.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:19 PM

Yes, the consensus in the posts in various threads seems to be that the Rainsong CH-OM is the cream of the crop, best bang for buck and most versatile, can be your only guitar thats currently available out of the carbon fiber. My buddy has spoken to a few carbon fiber hoarders and the select few I talked to seemed to all have that same opinion as to what they would recommend and dont seem to think some of the others are significantly better to justify price upgrade...unless you want them...as in you may not get anything extra with that extra money besides namesake/bragging rights.

Just wish the rainsong ch-om had stainless steel or evo frets as would buy one then.

Mcpherson got smarter I think...they originally had stainless steel...but then removed as said it tore up their plek'ing machine and also made guitars sound brighter...so went to nickel. Now they are offering the evo fret option which my buddy says makes them last 4x longer.

Understood on scale length. i'm small so wont affect me too much and makes it easier to fit in the car. Would love to try an emerald x7 but dont want to buy new.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDenverGirl View Post
........Just wish the rainsong ch-om had stainless steel or evo frets as would buy one then.......
I'm generally in favor of stainless steel frets when I can get them, because I have strong hands and a heavy fretting touch. My WS-1000 was built in 2001 and has seen a LOT of play time over the years. The frets are holding up just fine with minimal wear, and will probably out live me without replacement.

The Rainsong is not my only guitar, but has always been one of my favorites, so it gets plenty of play hours. If you think the CH-OM is the right guitar for you, don't let the fret composition be an obstacle.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber