The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-24-2014, 09:20 AM

Default Just Ebayed a Guitar with a K&K mini installed

Finally get to see what you guys keep talking about. Should be a fasinating comparison finally. Professionally installed so it should be right.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 10-30-2014, 05:27 AM

Well plugged it in last night directly to my acoustic amp which has pretty good EQ with sweepable mids. Seemed fine but I was a little underwhelmed, seemed almost identical to my "new to me" guitar with the I-Beam. I-Beam probably a little better I assume because it's has a endpin preamp. EQ setting were indentical, probably not surprise since they are both SBT. Will try with a preamp next. Probably like most pickups, it's getting used to what it takes to bring out the best in them, and I am new to the K&K. The Dtar Solstice is my mainstay, will be interested to try it with the Zoom A3, worked well with the I-Beam.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson

Last edited by Doubleneck; 10-30-2014 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:52 PM

Double, are you comparing the passive K&K to an active ibeam? That might be like compatible oranges to tangerines. In addition, your price point differs about $40-50 cheaper with the pure mini.

You also have to account for the different guitars, or are they the same brand/model?

The K&K pure mini isn't the "end-all" of pickups, it's just a great, inexpensive system that gives you the opportunity to dial-in pretty much any tone you want by removing unwanted frequencies (as opposed to having to boost lacking frequencies).

Keep playing with it, you'll find your tone.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Not really a fair comparison, Doubleneck... and, for what it's worth, I don't believe that the I-beam is a soundboard transducer, as it hangs off the bridgeplate, where the K&K is actually affixed TO the bridgeplate...

When I first put the K&K into my Goodall, I was really struggling to get a good sound out of "just" the pickup... until I got a hold of a K&K PURE XLR preamp, that is... the K&K really shines with that preamp, and you can find them for reasonable prices; I got mine NEW from Shoreline for $80!

Curiously, without the preamp, I had to jack tone controls all over the place to even come close to a decent tone from the K&K... and with the K&K preamp, I hardly have to use the EQ on it! I know there are many folks who will say that impedance issues don't show up or hinder a pickup, but my ears tell me something entirely different... so I'll go with MY ears, thanks!

By the way, the two systems through which I ran the K&K (unsatisfactorily until the preamp) are 1) Bose L1 Model I Classic with T1 "tonematch" mixer and 2) AER Compact 60/2... both units are superb amplifying systems, but I could not get anything close to the tone I get when I use that K&K preamp...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 10-31-2014, 02:32 PM

It took me some time to really bond with the K&K pure mini. I was so accustomed to using UST pickups that I was thrown off by the warm and natural tone of the K&K pickup. It really is a fantastic pickup though.

However, the one thing that I will add is that it's not for everybody. A lot of players use the pure mini and love it but I find it's too warm for a full band setting, even a full acoustic band.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:40 PM

I have a K&K in one of my Taylors, and it's not bad. I've found that I prefer other options though. It doesn't give me the shimmer that I'm looking for, particularly with a band.

At the end of the day, no pick-up or mic is going to give you the natural sound of your guitar. It comes down to personal preference, EQ, and finding a pleasing plugged in sound that works for YOUR ears.

I've found that an EQ pedal is very helpful to take down the heavy mids of the K&K.

Former:
1999 Taylor 314ce
2010 Taylor 614c
2004 Taylor 714
2009 Taylor GA5
2011 Taylor GA7
2021 Taylor 114e
Old 10-31-2014, 02:48 PM

Lol he says that so far he doesn't like it better than other pickups but that he isn't done tinkering with it yet, and people jump on him for not being fair. Heaven forbid someone else doesn't love your favorite pickup right off the bat.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:43 PM

Personally I don't get the love for the K&K. I listened to yet another video the other day that was almost universally oohed and ahhed but it still just sounded like another magnetic pickup to me. There've been several others that people have presented as an example of its wonderful, natural sound and I just think "...you've got to be kidding." I've tried to like it but just can't. So maybe you just don't like it either. I'm sure that's ok. Different ears hear the same things differently. And, the power of suggestion is quite strong.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenL View Post
Personally I don't get the love for the K&K. I listened to yet another video the other day that was almost universally oohed and ahhed but it still just sounded like another magnetic pickup to me. There've been several others that people have presented as an example of its wonderful, natural sound and I just think "...you've got to be kidding." I've tried to like it but just can't. So maybe you just don't like it either. I'm sure that's ok. Different ears hear the same things differently. And, the power of suggestion is quite strong.
Have you listened to it other than in a recording?

THAT is certainly no means by which to base the quality - good, bad or indifferent - of a guitar pickup.

I've NEVER heard anyone compare the K&K to "another magnetic pickup" (which is an ENTIRELY different critter) either.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:24 PM

So true just had one hour with it. It wasn't bad at all with no preamp, I just think my expectations were ramped up by all the love here for it. This weekend I will go through my preamps with it. Like I was saying it took me quite a while to dial in my other pickups. I'm probably not going to buy a K&K preamp just for one guitar? Well never say never. i do like the more natural sound of a SBT.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson

Last edited by Doubleneck; 10-31-2014 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:52 PM

Default Just Ebayed a Guitar with a K&K mini installed

I know of a couple of AGF'ers that have had great success dialing in tone with their Dtar Solstice like the one you have.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:11 AM

I have used MXR M108 10band graphic EQ with JJB pickups in a few guitars I used to own. Managed to get good tone without a lot of effort.
Still have that MXR unit, just not using it at the moment. I have also used Dtar Solstice and BBE Sonic Maximizer with great results as well.
My Blueridge came to me with Dazzo passive already installed, to me it feels a notch above K&K/JJB. Easier to dial in too, no preamp I just go straight into my Trace Elliott (really transparent amp, I like it a lot more compared to Marshall AS50d I used to own). When I plug into Mustang amp on studio preamp setting works good, albeit amp colors the guitars sound.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
So true just had one hour with it. It wasn't bad at all with no preamp, I just think my expectations were ramped up by all the love here for it. This weekend I will go through my preamps with it. Like I was saying it took me quite a while to dial in my other pickups. I'm probably not going to buy a K&K preamp just for one guitar? Well never say never. i do like the more natural sound of a SBT.
Hey Doubleneck:

As others have stated the pre makes a difference. IMO if you get a chance to plug it into a PA (along with a compatible pre), as compared to an acoustic amp you will get the full experience.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 11-01-2014 at 04:33 AM.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
Hey Doubleneck:

As others have stated the pre makes a difference. IMO if you get a chance to plug it into a PA (along with a compatible pre), as compared to an acoustic amp you will get the full experience.
That will happen at praise band, my Dtar Solstice just stays there and goes to the PA. off this week but we will see soon.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 11-01-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
Have you listened to it other than in a recording?

THAT is certainly no means by which to base the quality - good, bad or indifferent - of a guitar pickup.

I've NEVER heard anyone compare the K&K to "another magnetic pickup" (which is an ENTIRELY different critter) either.
Nah, I don't get out much. And I doubt anyone around here actually has one of them. I've said before I might change my mind if I heard one live. However, the recordings these days are pretty dang good. Even cheap systems are almost-pro sounding. And the K&K has the EXACT same sound in all the recordings I've heard, and they sound "electric" (maybe 'magnetic' was a bad choice of word), slightly whangy with a WOOFY attack on the bottom end. Now for those who like that sound, I'm sure the K&K is as good as it gets these days. But since I don't like the recorded sound of the pickup, I would not buy one CURRENTLY, since I doubt that many recordings are distorting the sound in the same way, consistently. But I may be wrong.

For now, I'm sticking with the Lyric for my limited needs. It doesn't sound "electric" and the bottom end isn't "woofy". But I also have no need for huge volume. At My volume levels, the Lyric sounds Like an Acoustic Guitar. But I'm not defending or justifying or fan-boying for the Lyric. I don't have a dog in the hunt....don't care what anyone uses or what anybody else hears for that matter.

If my needs were to change, I may be induced to explore the K&K more thoroughly since I'm sure it's OK live and as good a compromise as currently obtainable.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification