The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Buy sight unseen. Have shipped internationally.
Yay 19 48.72%
Nay 20 51.28%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-16-2017, 08:55 PM

Default Gibson LG-2 American Eagle - Buying sight unseen, Yay or Nay

Hey folks. I'm interested in purchasing a Gibson LG-2 American Eagle. Where I am, trying before buying is not a possibility. I will have to buy sight unseen, and have it shipped internationally.

My concern is the reputation that Gibsons seem to have for inconsistency in their product both for fit & finish, and more importantly tone-wise. Any input is welcome. What do you think?

Gibson LG-2 American Eagle
Waterloo WL-14L
Old 10-16-2017, 09:05 PM

Sorry to be negative one the first vote, but I wouldn't do it. It might turn out fine, but again it might not.....
Seagull Natural Elements Dreadnaught
Taylor 418e
Taylor 514ce LTD
Old 10-16-2017, 09:16 PM
Guest 728

I don't think there's any risk inherent to Gibson that wouldn't apply to any other brand. I bought my LG2 sight-unseen, and it remains my #1 "forever" guitar. Hands-down, it's my favorite Gibson model. Are you buying it new or used?
Old 10-16-2017, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
I don't think there's any risk inherent to Gibson that wouldn't apply to any other brand.
Indeed. I find that other favorite brands are much more inconsistent. I have never experienced any major inconsistencies with Gibson acoustics, and I have played them for 30 years. They are not all the same, of course, but what is?

I voted no simply because I have never purchased an acoustic online. The personal connection for me has to come from playing the guitar before I purchase, no matter the brand. In the OP's case, I understand why it is being considered, so perhaps my vote should be null and void.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

Just be smart about it.

Find a reputable dealer, good photos and a good return policy.
Expect good communication.
Go for it.

madhat.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
I don't think there's any risk inherent to Gibson that wouldn't apply to any other brand. I bought my LG2 sight-unseen, and it remains my #1 "forever" guitar. Hands-down, it's my favorite Gibson model. Are you buying it new or used?
I'm looking at used ones listed on Reverb.

Waterloo WL-14L
Old 10-16-2017, 10:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinpeaksbirds View Post
I'm looking at used ones listed on Reverb.

I saw one preowned on Reverb being sold by musiczoo - looked nice.

madhat.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:28 AM

I have only played two. I played a used one at G.C. which they wanted too much money for so I bought a new one online. The tone was pretty much consistent between the two. Some of the used prices on reverb seem reasonably priced.
Since I never plug in my guitars, I had the electronics removed when I had the tusq saddle replaced with bone. My luthier, who is not particularly effusive, told me "Every so often Gibson gets it right and they got it right with that guitar. Never sell it". It weighs 3 lbs 11 oz without the electronics and is very comfortable to play.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:29 AM
Charter Member

I bought two LG2s used on Reverb, one used at Russo’s in person in NJ. All consistent. All sound great. They are consistent in my opinion.

My advice? See if Chicago Music Exchange is selling any LG2 “floor models”. Those are new, but they want them moved out. I bought a new LG2 American Eagle for $1300 that way.

Last edited by SalFromChatham; 10-17-2017 at 03:34 AM.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:25 AM

Talking Well, I rolled the dice...

...aand I'm glad I did! DHL delivery man dropped it off at lunchtime today with a grin on his face.

A couple of hours went by before I could open the box. It's a 2014 model, used, from Sam Ash in Cleveland. I think it may have the original 80/20 strings on them, dull and cruddy. The first strum was underwhelming. I figured that it's rare that reality exceeds expectations. That and the cruddy old strings.

After about a half hour of playing off the surface crud and corrosion on the strings with my fingertips it's opened up considerably, to the point that I can't put it down. Except to write this report. Ha!

I'm not gonna get much work done today. That's for sure.

Waterloo WL-14L
Old 11-06-2017, 03:45 AM

Smile

Adrian,
Was it with 'electronics don't work'?
If so, I was watching this guitar and even sent a message to Sam Ash in Cleveland but they never replied.
Congratulations!
Old 11-06-2017, 06:45 AM

Congrats.

I did not vote as my experience with Gibsons, although going on for over 50 years, remains with guitars built from the 1930s through the 1950s. I do not have a clue how consistent Bozeman-made guitars are. But as you made your decision it does not really matter much anyway. I did have a 1946 and a 1947 LG-2 a few years back. These guitars sounded different enough that it would make you think they were built by different companies. But back in those days a part was considered finished when it "looked close enough." I then stumbled on a 1950s CF-100 which I liked better than either of the LGs.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish View Post
Adrian,
Was it with 'electronics don't work'?
If so, I was watching this guitar and even sent a message to Sam Ash in Cleveland but they never replied.
Congratulations!
Yes it was. Thanks!

Waterloo WL-14L
Old 11-06-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
Congrats.

I did not vote as my experience with Gibsons, although going on for over 50 years, remains with guitars built from the 1930s through the 1950s. I do not have a clue how consistent Bozeman-made guitars are. But as you made your decision it does not really matter much anyway. I did have a 1946 and a 1947 LG-2 a few years back. These guitars sounded different enough that it would make you think they were built by different companies. But back in those days a part was considered finished when it "looked close enough." I then stumbled on a 1950s CF-100 which I liked better than either of the LGs.
Yup, it's not like I was able to compare several examples of the same model. It sounds good enough to me, and it does appear to have that characteristic Gibson "thump" when strummed. I will say that that the fit and finish is not exactly stellar though. The tuning machines could be better lined up for example. It looked like the worker putting it together just 'eyeballed' it.

Waterloo WL-14L
Old 11-06-2017, 07:28 AM

Congrats! Really enjoy mine - a great value too!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion