The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-16-2017, 08:38 PM

Default Little help with Yamaha

For those of you who have held both.......

Looking at specs on LL6 and LS6 vs FG model on Yamaha website, It looks like the LL6 is larger than the FG (body size). It's listed as "Jumbo." It also looks like the LS6 is closer to the FG size. What? I thought LL6 was exact size as FG.

Which one (LL6 or LS6) is closest to FG.

Thanks Jed
Old 10-16-2017, 09:07 PM

LL-6 and FG are the same size.
What Yamaha calls jumbo is actually very close to a dreadnought size.
FG stands for Folk Guitar but you probably already know that.

I own a Yamaha L-20A and it fits snugly in a dred case.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
LL-6 and FG are the same size.
What Yamaha calls jumbo is actually very close to a dreadnought size.
FG stands for Folk Guitar but you probably already know that.

I own a Yamaha L-20A and it fits snugly in a dred case.
Pretty much this. The LL and FG shape are slightly different (with the FG having squarer shoulders, at least to my eyes), but they're both pretty much dreadnoughts. With different dimensions than the Martin standard, but very close. The LS is basically an OM shape. It's slightly smaller than Martin's version, but with a deeper body; the FS models (which I think stand for "folk small" are the equivalent lower-priced version.

If you want something like an FG, go for the LL.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:21 AM

Above is correct. However, make sure you compare the sound as well. I have examples of both body sizes, and the difference in tonal characteristics is bigger than you might expect. In the smaller size I definitely prefer the LS. In the larger size both the FG and LL sound great to my ear.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:15 AM

Yes, don't get too hung up on nomenclature; Yamaha's 'Original Jumbo' (LL) is their dread. The LJ is their 'Medium Jumbo' and the LS, as mentioned, is a deep OM. Also the 'L' and 'FG' series are fundamentally different to each other in most respects-bracing, size, body design etc.
The LL6 is closest to the FGxxx inasmuch as they are both modified dreadnought styles. The LS and FS are cousins (different scale lengths), but there's no 'jumbo' option in the 'F' series.

Last edited by AndrewG; 10-17-2017 at 05:20 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:58 PM

Thanks guys. Just what I needed. I have the FG and the FS. Sound on FG is better of course, but the FS is easiest to handle. More fun to play I guess. Looking for an upgrade in the Yamaha brand and thought the L series would fit the bill. Th truth is my son is about to bust to get his little paws on my Yamahas. Almost got the LS a while back but decided against it. Haha
Old 10-17-2017, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed1894 View Post
Thanks guys. Just what I needed. I have the FG and the FS. Sound on FG is better of course, but the FS is easiest to handle. More fun to play I guess. Looking for an upgrade in the Yamaha brand and thought the L series would fit the bill. Th truth is my son is about to bust to get his little paws on my Yamahas. Almost got the LS a while back but decided against it. Haha
Remind that the L has a wider nut 1 3/4" vs 1 11/16" for most of the FG/FS.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akirabbq View Post
Remind that the L has a wider nut 1 3/4" vs 1 11/16" for most of the FG/FS.
Thanks. Been playing my FG all night. Very nice. Might take a look at FG830 etc this week
Old 10-18-2017, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed1894 View Post
Thanks. Been playing my FG all night. Very nice. Might take a look at FG830 etc this week
I haven't played any of the new FG series yet, but by all accounts they've managed to improve them by scalloping the bracing. They were already a fine guitar so you should be impressed.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
I haven't played any of the new FG series yet, but by all accounts they've managed to improve them by scalloping the bracing. They were already a fine guitar so you should be impressed.
I have to say the wood is aging and it is sounding better. I thought that was all BS, but the tone is different now.....
Old 10-18-2017, 07:13 AM

FG is not consistent in size.

An FG-46os is dread' size, while an FG-331 is OM size.

What Yamaha refers to as 'small' often isn't. I'm a Yamaha fan -- and I always check the spec's.

EDIT: (One of the most frustrating aspects of being a Yamaha fan? People who think they know stuff. And aren't adverse to schooling the masses. Web 'experts' bs -- especially on FG -- go to the spec's.)
'05 Larrivée 0M-03 Custom (bear claw/hog), '13 Kronbauer TDK 285 MJ Custom (koa), '94 Froggy Bottom Custom (koa) dread', '08 Seagull Artist (EIR), '19 Gnome Blues Custom (EIR/T13? redwood), '78 S. Yairi 726 (hog), '84 K Yairi AR377, 1905 Vega parlor (hog), 60's Stella,'94 Saudi Tele', '79 Epi Genesis

"Your sound is in your hands ... ... more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." - SRV

Last edited by Blind Dog; 10-18-2017 at 09:03 AM. Reason: FG BS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion