The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-16-2017, 05:45 PM

Default Devices That Enhance Your Skill Level - Picks, Foot Stools, Ergo Play

I am on a quest like many here to get the best possible sound out of my guitars and playing as I possibly can. This site has been a tremendous resource. I never knew there were so many different guitars and so many considerations involved in getting a great tone.

The focus here because it is an acoustic guitar forum has been primarily the type of guitar itself. Rosewood, Mahogany, Spruce, Cocobolo, Walnut ..OMs, Dreads, Cutaways etc...

I am curious to know other than your fingers, your skill level, a special guitar, string type or pic...are their any devices (not including your amp or a processor) that has improved your playing?

I just bought an Ergo Play device that is intended to help you hold the guitar in a more ergonomic way. I have used foot stools in the past before primarily for classical playing but never religiously for other styles. I am trying the Ergo Play with my D18, Es 175, Classical and even my Tele and I can already feel an improvement in my technique.

Any Ergo or foot stools users? Other devices?

D18
https://youtu.be/1vpJB5z0ytM

ES 175
https://youtu.be/8exYR5QeSUw

Tele
https://youtu.be/jfvQAkxYLJg

Classical
https://youtu.be/QsmlnS3ALVk
Old 10-16-2017, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Anyway, I've found that a hard stool and a shoebox provide the ideal playing position for me. Compared to sitting at the foot of a hard bed, with my right leg on a tippy toes for a decade, it's the greatest discovery I've had yet during my guitar playing.

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-16-2017 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Edited
Old 10-16-2017, 06:09 PM

Spent a lot of time exploring picks. Concluded that to get the best, they are "some assembly required" and, once modified, they make the act of playing easier and the production of good tone an volume a matter of course.

Probably varies for others, but the best I've come up with after trying almost all, is a modified John Pearse Fast Turtle.

Here's the final version (right) and the original (left).

Old 10-16-2017, 06:44 PM

I like the shape of the final version with the more rounded tip. What thickness do you prefer?
Old 10-16-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
I like the shape of the final version with the more rounded tip. What thickness do you prefer?
The 4mm seems the best but not much difference with the same changes on a 2.5mm.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:37 PM
Guest 1511

Doo-dads and too-hickies usually just end up in a box in the dustiest corner of your basement closet, next to the bowling ball you bought in the 90s. I say just play.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:39 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I put strap buttons in the neck heel of all of my steel string guitars except for one. I play seated, but I use the strap as a "neck-up" device.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-16-2017, 07:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

Picks can certainly make a difference. A lot of great choices out there.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:58 PM

Simple:

1. A good large triangle pick in the neighborhood of 1mm (most any will do fine)

2. A good capo (Shubb Stainless Deluxe, Dunlop/Victor Brass, or NS Planetwaves, generally in that order)

3. Snark SN8 tuner (not strictly necessary, but nice if friends are also involved)

4. A comfortable armless chair (my current favorite the ultra-comfortable $25 folding chair from Home Depot and other retailers.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-Black...010P/204269967

5. Currently my Taylor 322, but a few other choices or one of my several open back banjos, a mandolin, mandola, or octave mandolin might be the flavor of the day...)

Not necessarily in that order.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantgreen42 View Post

I am curious to know other than your fingers, your skill level, a special guitar, string type or pic...are their any devices (not including your amp or a processor) that has improved your playing?
Well, you're excluding type of strings, type of picks, amps, etc...

If I could suggest one purchase that's really helped me outside that list, it would be my Beat Buddy. Metronomes are just no fun to play with. Traditional rhythm machines aren't much better... Without sounding like an ad for the company, I'll just say it delivers a big part of that feel you get playing with a real drummer. It's not exactly the same of course but it's close.... Playing with something that keeps you in time during practice helps you keep better time when the device isn't on.

If you're curious I did a rather lengthy review of the Beat Buddy here
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=461957

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 10-16-2017, 09:12 PM

The main addition I've made in the last several years is a music stand. I should add the binder that sits on the stand..... I just don't remember as well as I used to, and the binder helps me remember words and tunes. I usually remember the music, there are no chords I it.....
Seagull Natural Elements Dreadnaught
Taylor 418e
Taylor 514ce LTD
Old 10-17-2017, 02:59 AM
AGF Sponsor

Some great responses so far - and your playing from your YouTube videos sounds great already!

But if you were asking specifically about skill level rather than sound, for me the biggest step-change was when I bought an audio recorder, to record myself practicing and listen back analytically. You'll be surprised - very often what you actually sound like is absolutely nothing like what you think you sound like! And it's great for zeroing in on mistakes, inconsistencies etc. in your playing. You could easily do this with your camcorder (or whatever you use to film your YouTube videos) and get the whole visual feedback too.

As to tone - my whole business is about perfecting the interface between player and guitar! (see my signature)

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.

Last edited by Mr Fixit eh; 10-17-2017 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Sponsor Commercial links not allowed in body of post
Old 10-17-2017, 03:32 AM

A foot stool is a great tool. Hard seat chair, foot stool to keep your posture correct and pressure off your lower back. I find using a good inexpensive non slip cotton strap helps keep the neck at the proper angle. I use one even when seated. Wide leather strap works great on a heavier guitar. Dunlop Gator picks in 1.5/2mm seem to work great for me. Just a few good tools that took me years to sort out to the basics that work good. Oh, and a Schubb capo to fit each guitar is a big help too.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:39 AM

Snark SN8 tuner, Shubb Capo, Dynarette cushion - sits in your left thigh and raises the guitar to the level of a foot still, but allows the player to keep both deer on the floor

Martin GPC 11E
Guild CV-1
Gibson L-00 Studio
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 10-17-2017, 04:53 AM

Some great responses. I have used the Dynarette cushion as well and I find it along with either a foot stool or the Ergo Play allow you better posture and upper level fret access. Another benefit for me when playing acoustic is I hear the music better since the sound hole is closer to my ear.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion