The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-16-2017, 08:04 PM

**IN DEPTH EXAMINATION UPDATE**

Well , I finally got home and was able to take a close look for the first time. Like I said before, the bridge is lifting. The pickguard has started to shrink and curl and there is a crack along the grain between the pick guard and the bridge, and there also appears to be a crack along the bottom of the pickguard in the exact shape as the pickguard. I’m not sure if it shows up in the pics.

I used some naphtha on the finish, and a lot of the funk that was on it came off but some has not. The guitar has been in its case for 11 years with a nylon web strap on it. I can see the texture of the strap in the finish in some spots.

There is quite a bit of wear on the frets and the fretboard, but I’m not sure if that will affect playability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 10-16-2017, 08:07 PM

Someone who knows what they're doing can get that bridge under control without much fuss, assuming there's no other nonsense going on. Happens all the time. The bellying doesn't look extreme to me (though it's hard to say much based on a picture) and the cracks... happen. They're manageable. It's wonderful to see a guitar that was not particularly special (that is, not custom, not super-expensive... just solid) when it was made -- 80's Martins were pretty unexceptional at that time -- become a whole other, much better thing with the passage of time. That top now looks beautiful, and doubtless the tight build has broken in and opened up. And that this happened at the hands of your grandfather just makes it even more wonderful. I love the few bangs and nicks that are visible, cracks included... this one's on it's way to vintage.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:07 PM

That looks nice, Congrats Chris!
'17 Martin D-28
'18 Martin D-18
'21 Yamaha FS830
Old 10-16-2017, 09:10 PM

What a treasured gift that will be for future generations as well.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

What a great way to have a NGD. Congratulations!
Old 10-16-2017, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations! What a cool remembrance to have...

Get it to a certified Martin tech (or one who has a lot of experience with older Martin guitars) and have them go through it. The bridge lifting is usually a sign of low humidity, but who knows?

I'm sure the tech will check neck relief (if Grandpa bought it new, then I bet Grandma would qualify as the "owner" for warranty work?) and bridge placement - I know that more than a few 70's Martins had bridges installed improperly, don't know how long that issue continued...

As someone else replied, I would suggest you work on re-humidifying the guitar before having work done... or even looked at by a pro... If it is as dry as it seems to be, the first thing the guy will do is to humidify it, anyway. Hope fully the strings are NOT tuned to pitch!

Excited for you and looking forward to hearing about the progress of any work/restoration you have done...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

Last edited by jseth; 10-16-2017 at 09:37 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion