The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-13-2017, 12:59 PM

Default LOWDEN QUANDRY...

I want to go beyond the conventional Martin, Taylor. and Gibson. Although I live in a metropolitan area (Tampa) there are no authorized dealers for Lowden so I would be relegated to a sight-unseen on-line purchase. Anybody have any first-hand experience with this manufacturer?

Thanks
Old 10-13-2017, 01:16 PM

sure.
i've got a lowden s-32 smallbody. fantastic guitar. it's decidedly NOT a martingibsontaylor.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jgg4zvl1bh...front.jpg?dl=0

i love the non-gloss/unique finish, the build quality is impeccable, and the sound is pure lowden — sustain for days. great for open tunings.

that being said, i'm less fond of the neck — feels a tad chunky to my smaller hands. and i prefer bridge pins, but lowdens don't use 'em.

they're expensive, and worth every penny if they provide the sound and playing experience you want. a lifetime investment.

oh, and: absolutely gorgeous, to boot. sweet lines.

hope this helps.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:21 PM

Have you played a Lowden? They have their own tone/personality. I like them, and own one. But if you haven't played one, I'd recommend that you do so before an online purchase.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

I have an O35 which is a wonderful instrument, but as someone said they have a tone of their own, neither Gibson or Martinish.
The o35 is very even across the tonal spectrum but the mids seem tighter, huge prejection with a very full sound.
The O 35 with a amulet M pick up in it has the best amplified tone I've ever managed to get, for this reason alone I'd buy the guitar again, acoustically it is also a delight.
Probably because of the 5 piece neck it's superb in open tunings.
Lowdens are wonderful, very responsive and dynamic but they're definitely different.
A nice vid showing various models
https://youtu.be/GnldbiOwsu0
Old 10-13-2017, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

Love em. Owned an f-25 and now a f-32c. I will echo the comments made that you should probably try to play one first because they have a much difference response then American guitars which like to take a beating and are more well suited for strumming. The two f-models I've owned were very loud and clear to a gentle touch but also liked moderate strumming/flatpicking. I bought my first because it was a great deal to where if I resold I wouldn't take a big hit, and I didn't. I just love their sound and balance. Have great studio manners, too.

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 10-13-2017, 02:19 PM

Lowdens are excellent guitars and if you want something special then go for it. I've had one for a while now and I love it.

That said...

Some people find the tone a bit complex, with their many overtones and resonances, but you can listen to recordings to get an idea of what to expect.

Also check the neck width of the Lowden you are considering against what you are used to, and if it's different then try to play a guitar with a comparable neck to see if it's comfortable.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:23 PM

I believe that Lowden guitars represents the best in craftsmanship and attention to detail. And there is something about the mystique of being built in Ireland that draws me. I am on my second Lowden and probably my last, as they cost a pretty penny. But deservedly so, in my opinion. But as others have said, best to try one before you by. They may not be for everybody.
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 10-13-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godot2520 View Post
I want to go beyond the conventional Martin, Taylor. and Gibson. Although I live in a metropolitan area (Tampa) there are no authorized dealers for Lowden so I would be relegated to a sight-unseen on-line purchase. Anybody have any first-hand experience with this manufacturer?

Thanks
Hi godot,

You say you want to go "beyond" Martin, Taylor, Gibson, but those companies have some amazing high end standard and custom models, so choosing a Lowden will not really take you beyond those brands as much as take you in different tonal direction.

With that out of the way, I have been a huge fan of George Lowdens guitars for over twenty years, and my personal stable hasn't been without at least one Lowden in all that time. They are amazingly responsive guitars, regardless of the wood/tonal combination you choose, and workmanship is second to none.

Is a Lowden for you? I spent a half hour talking to a customer a few months back who called about one of our custom Martins, but the more I listened, the more I thought that he would be better served by a Lowden we had on hand, which is what he ended up with, and he was quite happy about the choice. I've also had folks call me about Lowdens only to find that I was recommending something else. Really just depends on what you are looking for, and what else, if anything you have in your stable.

Getting opinions on forums from folks who have experience with Lowden as well as other brands is a great way to limit your financial exposure, but keep in mind that all Lowden dealers offer an inspection period, so ordering long distance is not that risky. While you will end up covering shipping fees, you will never be stuck with a guitar that doesn't work for you. If it's a preowned Lowden you are thinking about from a private seller, just include a 2-3 day inspection period in your offer, with you paying for the shipping fees if you don't bond with it. Most private sellers will accommodate this request.

Good luck!
Old 10-13-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
Have you played a Lowden? They have their own tone/personality. I like them, and own one. But if you haven't played one, I'd recommend that you do so before an online purchase.
This is where I agree. Size, shape, build, sound... all very different and while I have really enjoyed listening to certain music played on a Lowden, I wasn't enthralled when I owned one enough to keep it longer than 2 years. Lowden's have never been everywhere but you can likely find a dealer with enough (maybe) varied stock on hand that will sell you one to check out and return if you don't bond. Even within the Lowden line you may like one size but not another.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:

Thanks
You could do what I am planning to do - take a trip to Ireland, taking the opportunity to check out both Lowden and McIlroy while I'm there.....
Seagull Natural Elements Dreadnaught
Taylor 418e
Taylor 514ce LTD
Old 10-13-2017, 04:09 PM

Owned an O10 (which would be a O22 in today's terms). Nice guitar, but never bonded with it. I felt it lacked "personality". I know, very unscientific. And only my humble opinion based on one guitar, of course.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:

Thanks

Well, I have gone from ‘never seen or played one’ to owning 3 since finding a (93j S35 in a used guitar shop in February this year!
To me, they are the perfect fingerpicking guitar, any style, tuning but too many overtones for hard strummers, generally.
I would recommend finding and trying a nice used one, not much loss if you move it on.

BluesKing777.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:48 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Ballantyne View Post
You could do what I am planning to do - take a trip to Ireland, taking the opportunity to check out both Lowden and McIlroy while I'm there.....
Now THAT'S a great plan!!

Dan
Old 10-13-2017, 04:52 PM

Slightly less involved would be a drive to Atlanta (6 hrs) or fly for 200 round trip to look at several up there. Although, Ireland would be nice for a weekend getaway.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:25 PM

Would it be worth a trip to Atlanta to try a few?

http://maplestreetguitars.com/show_m...wden%2C+George

[edit: oops. Just realized poster immediately above already suggested it. Anyway, you can see what Maple Street Guitars has in stock.]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion