The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-12-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjd100 View Post
Do you wear earplugs because of fox news or cnn?. I missed the jist of the post. Because I've never seen Fox News at the gate TV at a domestic airport... Any airport for that matter. I think most of CNN viewership is from airports.
CNN is at the gates (usually sound turned off, closed captioning on) but the bars have either FOXNews, ESPN, or both). I fly SW a lot, so I watch free live TV on my iPad. The monitors on the cardio machines in my gym have all the news channels, ESPN, all the local network O&Os, PBS and some indie (mostly-rerun) locals. And you need headphones to listen. The rowing machines have no monitors, so I listen to music on my watch via wireless earbuds when I row.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Most Am's I listen to my local Santa Barbara news 1290 AM 6-9am.

Yet lately, with the level of negativity and upheaval going down in HD, I switch to music or reading. No TV or news all day long until the nightly news. You can find my finger on the Fast Forward button quite often.
Who needs some of these local slime crime and what seems like increasing dark depravity? Play guitar....or play _ _ _ _ _ !
Old 10-12-2017, 09:16 PM

BTW, I would not say that my news sources are not left or right
I suspect most of us feel our source(s) are broadcasting truth without spin which is why we chose it.

One person's neutral news source is another person's left, right, or far left or far right.
Probably best to just not rate your preferred sources on the number line from left, to center, to right ... especially here on AGF.

Just sayin.

Last edited by Tico; 10-13-2017 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:44 PM

BBC News.

During the day, I used to listen to NPR's KPFK, but, looking north, they fell of the western edge of the world a few years ago. KPCC, another NPR outlet, now gets some of my attention.

Currently though, it's the LA Dodgers network.....
Old 10-13-2017, 05:09 AM
Guitar Gourmet

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed. If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." - Mark Twain

Whatever I use, I use under that caution.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-13-2017, 05:19 AM

Okay.

Fox, CNN, NBC, etc...., has gotten unwatchable.

I learned about Spain on Russia Television (RT) because American television was stuck on Vegas and Harvey Weinstein.

As for online News, I get it here.................

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 10-13-2017, 10:51 AM

Sesame Street
Old 04-17-2019, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitz View Post
Sesame Street
Likely as accurate as any.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 04-17-2019, 06:55 AM

New zombie thread.

I probably posted first time around but can't remember or be bothered to check.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
I don't watch TV; rather I haven't for 25 or 30 years.
The last thing I watched on TV (at a friend's house) was the World Trade Center towers falling down.
On the Internet I go to BBC, NPR, and Aljazeera for stories likely to have excessive western bias.

I dislike the whole idea of those customizable "news" feeds that only show you what you like, or block subject X and Y.
I feel an obligation to be at least minimally informed of hard news stories.

That said I have no interest in popular celebrity news, I mean gossip, so I skip over those stories.
Actually I don't consider that to be news.
I almost never know whom someone is talking about if the conversation is about famous entertainment folks.
I don't mind being ignorant about this topic.
I don't mind a good zombie thread, it's a good topic.

To the above, indeed, it's very important to be informed on a wide variety of news and hard news topics. But the danger is that "customization" happens without one doing anything about it–it's the default situation in our current news climate.

Facebook and other social media sites by their nature encourage singular points of view, and most people's feeds get culled of views they object to over time. This is customization.

Google and other search engine results tune to your preferences over time, and this customizes your results. We don't all get the same results for the same searches. https://www.link-assistant.com/news/...ed-search.html

Using an app like Flipboard allows you get news from multiple sources by default. I certainly don't customize the sources, not even sure I can. I probably can but have never looked into it. I use large topics like "News", "World News", "US News", and "Politics", as well as some special interests like photography and mountain biking.

This keeps the stories coming from a wide range of sources and fights the "news bubble" effect most people get by watching or reading their source of choice. After a while one can predict the source just by reading the headline in some cases, from the most polarized sources, but it's good to see what's being put out there.

To sum up, customization can actually be an antidote to that which ails the news consumer. Hard news can be the focus and you can get rid of celebrity gossip and the like quite easily.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:13 AM

My routine started with my dad reading papers at breakfast and what was then having the Wall St. Journal and NY Times arrive a day late. It changed to mostly using tablet and phone but same papers. I read the news before and more than opinion and editorial. Wall St. Journal more than the Times early in the day. The Upshot column is based on stats and interesting stuff even though it's not general news.

We use our library system a lot and have Amazon Prime so I also have The Economist thrown in the mix.

I also have Fox in my mix but admittedly more of their news than much of their content I consider more pundits and opinion. The Wall Street Journal is same parent company and I feel they do a better job with news or at least not so much attention grabbing stuff.

I am about to make a change in the long running routine. My Wall St. Journal is approaching $40 a month and Apple News+ is $10 a month. The latter has a most of the WSJ and other papers in addition to many magazines. The non-paid part of the news app has a good mix of popular sources. It looks like that will be money in my pocket, not missing something I like, and adding more.

The Apple News+ is clearly new and I can see where it could use improvements such as accessing older content. One really great element of the Apple News is the way they're keeping ad display anonymous.

We cancelled cable TV quite a while ago now so are not really TV watchers. We get TV network content on our phones, tablet and computers.

I don't have any of the popular complaints about news in this routine. The apps from papers and Apple stop the popup and web security issues. There's lots of wonderful news out there. The mix of content and sources I go after also help insure I get news and info outside of my personal worldview or how I might be wired.

P.S. One way or another I suggest trying the News+ trial while it's free for a month.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

I really only get my news from WSJ, it seems the most balanced. The editorials are excellent especially in the weekend edition.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 04-17-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
I really only get my news from WSJ, it seems the most balanced. The editorials are excellent especially in the weekend edition.
We'll see how my experiment will go. I will agree that some of the opinion is very good and a lot over the top for me that that applies equally to my NT Times subscription.

I like reading WSJ and NY Times covering the same news. So far it looks like I'll get the same stories with what they (WSJ) have incorporated in News+. For now it looks like historical search will be lost. It looks like the market data content will be easy to get outside of the subscription.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Generally, my news comes from the News360 app, which is fairly customizable.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:20 PM

Today's sources are all biased, so I just watch reruns of Walter Cronkite.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic