The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-11-2017, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

I feel that Robbie Robertson is a TREMENDOUS guitar player... on records and with the Band live, he rarely "cut loose", choosing instead to support the song, first and foremost, as well as the singer and the arrangement of the tune...

What a lot of folks don't know is that he could RIP IT UP with the best of them... playing long gigs all over Canada and America with Ronnie Hawkins' band, you HAD to be a showman, and you HAD to be able to play...

Add to his playing ability his songwriting ability and you have the reason he's one of my all-time favorites. I'm old enough to remember going out to see shows/concerts, and loving hearing the guitarists' wail on and improvise... and Robbie didn't do that, not with the Band. I remember being disappointed in that aspect of the Band's live shows, but the music was SO GOOD and the performances were SO GOOD that I loved seeing them anyway...

I also thought that Testimony was a terrific book; regardless of the critics' opinions... especially when juxtaposed with Levon's book, it feels like we're seeing both sides of an unfortunately nasty story. I know it was a lot about songwriting royalties, but I don't know when that happened. Robbie speaks about buying Richard's publishing rights when Richard came to him and said he needed money... subsequently, all the other members of the Band (except Levon) asked to do the same, and Robbie said he had to borrow a bunch of money to pay them. He also makes a point of telling each guy, "Don't do this! NEVER sell your publishing!"...

In his book, Robbie only goes up to The Last Waltz, and nothing beyond that, whereas Levon wrote about years afterwards...

After reading only Levon's book, I had a very decidedly nasty opinion of Robertson (as do many). I've been in bands where royalties and songwriting credits have been an issue, and it's not a pretty sight, not at all!

I was more than a little shocked when I read that Robbie was splitting ALL the songwriting credits with each member, regardless of whether they had anything to do with the composition... that's a very righteous stance to take, and not one that I had heard about before regarding the Band's music.

Regarding "Testimony"; I have always marveled at how Robbie (a Canadian Indian) could "get inside" the guts of American life and write tunes like "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" and "King Harvest"!?! I was pleased to read about his upbringing, his family and all the carryings-on of his "Street" education; I always felt that the guys in the Band were sort of tough guys, and it's good to hear how that came about.

I thought it was very interesting that the main "tone" of each book (Lee's and Robbie's) was SO DIFFERENT... throughout Robbie's book, the sentiment that comes through the pages most often is just how much he loved those men. Whereas in Levon's book ("This Wheel's on Fire"), what comes through most clearly his his bitterness and anger; most times directed at Robbie, but it is a tone that pervades much of the book.

I have, for many decades, referred to the Band as "my Favorite American band" of the 60's and 70's... and of course now I know that only ONE member was from the USA (Lee); the rest were Canadian! (I just have to say, "Thanks, Canada!").

I play their songs when I perform; people who like music should NEVER forget that music, even if they've never heard it before!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 10-11-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny.guitar View Post
I put Robbie's solo record up there as one of my all time favourites. However a big part of it is the production....Daniel Lanois....
Very talented man Daniel Lanois, as is Robbie Robertson, a friend of mine played guitar for Robbie on that album because of Daniel Lanois.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:35 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
I feel that Robbie Robertson is a TREMENDOUS guitar player... on records and with the Band live, he rarely "cut loose", choosing instead to support the song, first and foremost, as well as the singer and the arrangement of the tune...

What a lot of folks don't know is that he could RIP IT UP with the best of them... playing long gigs all over Canada and America with Ronnie Hawkins' band, you HAD to be a showman, and you HAD to be able to play...

Add to his playing ability his songwriting ability and you have the reason he's one of my all-time favorites. I'm old enough to remember going out to see shows/concerts, and loving hearing the guitarists' wail on and improvise... and Robbie didn't do that, not with the Band. I remember being disappointed in that aspect of the Band's live shows, but the music was SO GOOD and the performances were SO GOOD that I loved seeing them anyway...

I also thought that Testimony was a terrific book; regardless of the critics' opinions... especially when juxtaposed with Levon's book, it feels like we're seeing both sides of an unfortunately nasty story. I know it was a lot about songwriting royalties, but I don't know when that happened. Robbie speaks about buying Richard's publishing rights when Richard came to him and said he needed money... subsequently, all the other members of the Band (except Levon) asked to do the same, and Robbie said he had to borrow a bunch of money to pay them. He also makes a point of telling each guy, "Don't do this! NEVER sell your publishing!"...

In his book, Robbie only goes up to The Last Waltz, and nothing beyond that, whereas Levon wrote about years afterwards...

After reading only Levon's book, I had a very decidedly nasty opinion of Robertson (as do many). I've been in bands where royalties and songwriting credits have been an issue, and it's not a pretty sight, not at all!

I was more than a little shocked when I read that Robbie was splitting ALL the songwriting credits with each member, regardless of whether they had anything to do with the composition... that's a very righteous stance to take, and not one that I had heard about before regarding the Band's music.

Regarding "Testimony"; I have always marveled at how Robbie (a Canadian Indian) could "get inside" the guts of American life and write tunes like "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" and "King Harvest"!?! I was pleased to read about his upbringing, his family and all the carryings-on of his "Street" education; I always felt that the guys in the Band were sort of tough guys, and it's good to hear how that came about.

I thought it was very interesting that the main "tone" of each book (Lee's and Robbie's) was SO DIFFERENT... throughout Robbie's book, the sentiment that comes through the pages most often is just how much he loved those men. Whereas in Levon's book ("This Wheel's on Fire"), what comes through most clearly his his bitterness and anger; most times directed at Robbie, but it is a tone that pervades much of the book.

I have, for many decades, referred to the Band as "my Favorite American band" of the 60's and 70's... and of course now I know that only ONE member was from the USA (Lee); the rest were Canadian! (I just have to say, "Thanks, Canada!").

I play their songs when I perform; people who like music should NEVER forget that music, even if they've never heard it before!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockysdad View Post
Very talented man Daniel Lanois, as is Robbie Robertson, a friend of mine played guitar for Robbie on that album because of Daniel Lanois.
On behalf of Canada, you’re welcome. Likely, most Americans, especially music lovers and musicians, are aware of just how many of the iconic artists, perhaps thought to be American, are Canadian. Neil, Joni, Gordon..........the list is long. Btw, Daniel Lanois is also Canadian. Canadians have surely made a major contribution to the American and Canadian musical identity across many genres.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:50 PM

Sorry if it's already been mentioned but The Band if I'm not mistaken started out with Ronnie Hawkins, was Ronnie Hawkins and the Hawks. Then went with Dylan.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:03 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockysdad View Post
Sorry if it's already been mentioned but The Band if I'm not mistaken started out with Ronnie Hawkins, was Ronnie Hawkins and the Hawks. Then went with Dylan.
I believe that’s correct.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:43 PM

Great thread on Robbie Robertson, one the the most influential musicians and songwriters of the past several decades. A strong case can be made that Robertson is THE most influential roots/Americana musician ever (there are far bigger ironies than having a Canadian being the most influential in Americana), with his being the primary songwriter for The Band, whose best music sounds as timeless today as it did almost 50 years ago - what a magical vibe. To me, 'Rock of Ages' is a perfect live recording.

As far as RR's guitar playing goes - this early '60s gem with Ronnie Hawkins exemplifies his ability to wring out all the howling emotion from an electric guitar. (Never mind the photo - the guitarist is unmistakably Robertson.)

Old 10-12-2017, 12:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomaynor View Post
As far as RR's guitar playing goes - this early '60s gem with Ronnie Hawkins exemplifies his ability to wring out all the howling emotion from an electric guitar. (Never mind the photo - the guitarist is unmistakably Robertson.)
Great track! Supposedly that's prior guitarist Jimmy Ray "Luke" Paulman pictured there. Not pictured: Roy Buchanan on bass.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:29 AM

RE: Last Waltz

Watch carefully. It is full of overdubs.

hunter
Old 10-12-2017, 03:06 AM
Charter Member

I have recently "rediscovered" The Band. I am, at times, nearly overwhelmed by the manner in which these five men were able to mesh their considerable talents. As others have said previously, the sum was greater than the parts. In my humble opinion, in the last 50 years, nobody has captured the simplistic/complex/soulful/harmonious/Americana sound that The Band produced.

As for Robbie Robertson, I agree that his guitar is underrated by many because of his lack of flash. His song writing is on the top shelf. His book will be next in queue.

It is incredibly sad how Richard Manual, Rick Danko, and Levon Helm's lives devolved after The Last Waltz.
Emerald X-20 Custom SS

Life's been good to me so far....
Old 10-12-2017, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
His 1987 solo album is really, really good. I still play it once in a while.

On cassette, no less!
I still have that on a CD and it is good.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-12-2017, 06:10 AM

I LOVE The Band. My band in the 70's was not a dance band, we covered a LOT of Band songs, and as a group saw them live at least a half dozen times, they had the best live sound of any group I saw back them.

Robbie Robertson is a "tasty" guitar player, as mentioned he didn't waste notes, nobody in The Band showboated, they complemented each other's musicianship.

No problem with him being mentioned in the top 100 guitar players, near the lower part of that list. On a personal level he does have the jerk reputation, my brother and I got to sit down with Rick Danko a couple years before he died, not much nice to say about Robbie or how he screwed them financially after the band broke up. Good player, not good guy.......

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-12-2017 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 10-12-2017, 06:22 AM

I grew up with Clapton, Beck and Hendrix - and he's not on that level for me. Perhaps he is more of a George Harrison type of player - more supporting the song being played than an impressive soloist.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 10-12-2017, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
I grew up with Clapton, Beck and Hendrix - and he's not on that level for me. Perhaps he is more of a George Harrison type of player - more supporting the song being played than an impressive soloist.
If Robbie could have sung lead no one would be wondering how great he was.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 10-12-2017, 07:10 AM

I like RR's playing very much, but how do you grade musicians of this caliber? Most have excellent technical skills moving up and down the neck, but then you have to take into account their interpretation of other's music and their own original work. Personal taste comes into the evaluation and a pure rock and roller may may not have the appreciation of a great blue grass or classical player because it's not his style of music...and vice versa. Enjoy the music you love and put your favorites at the top of your own list and you won't go wrong.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Over 40 years ago, The Band invented roots/americana music before anyone know that it existed.
Pretty good for a bunch of Canadians, eh?
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion