The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-11-2017, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Default ANNIVERSARY OF JOHN DENVER'S DEATH

20 Years ago, on Oct. 12, 1997, John Denver died in that plane crash. Just remembering his work as I play lots of his stuff. His music kept me inspired and interested in continuing to play the guitar. I love to play along with his music from the Wildlife concert. Just remembering
Old 10-11-2017, 10:20 AM

I can't believe it's been that long. He was such a great talent. His songs are timeless.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Yes, hard to believe 20 years have passed. I remember that PBS rebroadcast the Wildlife concert and I was teary-eyed several times, so sad. Like lots of folks he did have his life struggles, but no question he was so talented, not only in song writing but he sure could make a 12-string sing! Listening to his songs helped me train my ear to be able to recognize chord progressions and even some strumming patterns, etc. I still play lots of his songs for my listening pleasure. Wild Montana Skies get me going every time I play it, the end chord just rings with emotion for me.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

A sad day indeed. I was stunned.

He's the reason I play guitar. Saw him in concert in about '72 or so in the Student Center of a small college with maybe 200 other people. I was still in HS, so had to borrow a friend's older brother's ID to get in.

JD, Mike Taylor, and Dick Kniss. We all sat on the floor around them. Truly a night to remember. I think he played every song from Rocky Mountain High.

I saw him 3-4 times again through the years, but that first time was something special.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

I remember it like it was yesterday. Very sad... he should still be with us.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
Saw him in concert in about '72 or so in the Student Center of a small college.

I think he played every song from Rocky Mountain High.
The only superior songs on the "Rocky Mountain High" album are "Prisoners;" the cover of "Mother Nature's Son" (considerably better than McCartney's original version); "Rocky Mountain High" (Mike Taylor gets justifiable co-writing credits; he alone came up with the classic intro "Rocky Mountain High Lick"--which according to Denver inspired Denver to complete the song after having spent an inordinate amount of time trying to get the job done); and "Spring."

By the way, except for "Spring"--that "Season Suite" on side 2 is just wasted filler.

Mike Taylor (July 21, 1948 – September 5, 2010), of course, drove the early "John Denver Sound" with his remarkable acoustic playing. He eventually left the music business, rekindled a passion for the past, and became a noted archaeologist based in South Carolina.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:55 PM

My first wife (40 yrs. ago) was a big John Denver fan. I was the exact opposite. My given first name is Denver and I got so sick of being called "John Denver" when that wasn't even his real name...and when he recorded "Paradise" he left out the verse about the "world's largest shovel... tortured the timber and stripped all the land"...but I digress...

He came to UD Arena and, since she was my wife, I got tickets to see him. He performed in the round and I have to admit that cat really performed. And such a powerful voice...

I never really got over feeling he wasn't as authentic as he let on, but did gain a lot of respect for him as a musician/singer/songwriter...he was just never my cup of meat...but I also liked his work on the Muppets Christmas Special...hated that he died so young...

Last edited by Cabarone; 10-11-2017 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 05:24 AM

I read where John Denver tried to mess with Steve Goodman on the songwriting credit on "City of New Orleans" by altering the lyrics-----Arlo Guthrie stepped up and made it clear who wrote that piece while scoring big on the recording! No question, John Denver was good though and hit the market at the right time,---if only he would've been more careful switching fuel tanks on that home-built airplane he was flying!

Fog
Old 10-14-2017, 06:36 AM

I loved his music. The intro to "Poems, Prayers & Promises" is the sole reason I begged my parents to get me a guitar so I could learn to play.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:41 AM

A great person
Sincerely missed

Old 10-14-2017, 02:39 PM

No one I knew wanted to learn his stuff back in the early 70's. John was never "hip" enough and didn't have that devil-may-care edginess about him. I wasn't that way. I learned all his early stuff and Rocky Mountain High was my favorite. I wasn't a concert goer or I might have seen a few. When he was coming to town his pop would arrange stage passes in my pop's name (they were friends) but I never did take up the offer. I still play his music.

Anecdotal - John's pop was famous in his own right -

https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/12-january-1961-2/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic