The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-27-2017, 02:37 PM
Guest316

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
Not that anyone cares, but I ended up buying an SE...primarily for portability.
I'm a very happy SE owner. There's a lot of power in that compact phone. I call mine the Pocket Rocket. I went to the iPhone SE from a Galaxy Note 4, and after a few months with the SE I no longer miss the Note 4's large screen.

If a person's primary purpose for owning a smartphone is its multimedia capabilities (watching videos/playing games/etc.) then it's difficult to justify the SE with its 4" screen. But if your smartphone use is data, communication and organization, then the SE is ideal. Additionally, the SE takes 4k video and has the same 12 megapixel camera as the 6S, so its pictures and video capabilities are amazing.

Also, the SE will be supported for several years, because the processor is quite underdriven. The A9 SoC is driving a screen designed around the September 2012 A6. The A9 can run the little SE with one hand tied behind its back.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
That's what I expect the next release will be. They're discounting the SE so heavily that its days are surely numbered. But, its diminutive size has a loyal following. I expect what we'll see next is an SE-sized phone that's full screen...a sort of X jr. The Samsungs are real beauties and make anything with a surround seem old fashioned.
If you're right then I think there could be a huge resurgence in a lot of users opting for the smaller package with the big screen. I'll be waiting, and even with an SE in hand, would probably go ahead and upgrade fairly quickly for the larger screen, if nothing else.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 10-01-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Not that anyone cares, but I ended up buying an SE...primarily for portability.
It's been 5 days since purchase, and I couldn't be happier with this decision. My last smart phone was a Droid 2, and it didn't do anything well...not even phone calls. I ended going back to a flip phone. But, this iPhone is magnificent, simply magnificent. The level of seamless platform integration is unbelievable, and it goes everywhere I go without a wardrobe modification. IMHO, for the current price the SE is the steal of the century.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:40 PM

I'm delighted with the 8 Plus. My hands are small enough that I need two hands to operate any smartphone, even my first iPhone (a 3GS). It even fits in my evening bag. I'm getting amazing battery life too, and typing is easier (though I wish it had the dual-function keypad that iOS11 put on my iPads--gotta go into Settings to see if it's available on the phone). So many of my files are now in the cloud and can be called up on my phone when they couldn't before (more on that in a sec).

The update to Watch OS4 adds much more functionality on my wrist than I had when I first bought the Series 2, and the integration with the phone is immensely helpful. Today my singing partner & I were booked at a suburban folk festival. I was coming from my home on the far N. side of Chicago by the lake, he from Madison, WI. My car's nav system steered me there flawlessly in less than 40 min. I arrived 90 min. before we were to go on. I called to ask if he'd brought the dulcimer stand (I brought mine as a backup) and left a message. I figured there was no point in schlepping mine from the parking lot if he'd brought the one that usually "lives" in his car.

An hour later, my partner still hadn't shown up--he called fifteen minutes before that to tell me he was getting on the I-94 spur. Not only did my phone buzz in my purse (I'd turned off the ringer), my watch buzzed as well. Speaking to my wrist like Dick Tracy, I asked if he had the dulcimer stand. The woman from the act that had just come off stage thought I was talking to her and said "Sorry, I don't have one." When I showed her my watch she did a double-take.

Thinking his Droid's nav app was suggesting the same exit I took, I reassured him he was only about 20 min. away. Nope. Meanwhile, I brought up a couple of lyric files for tunes which audience members had come up to me to request, and I reviewed them as I waited for him. He called again in a panic, dreadfully lost. He had keyed in the same address as I, but his app suggested a different exit and directed him to the wrong end of the park--to a soccer field with no path to the festival area. So, still speaking into my watch, I pulled up Google Maps on my phone and directed him verbally turn-by-turn (kickin' it old-school). He arrived just as the immediately-preceding band was finishing their teardown.

Postscript: good friends of ours had missed the same couple of songs, because they had used the same Android nav app as my partner! (And they used to live in the neighborhood a mile from the park).

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:58 PM

I enjoyed this amusing article: "Apple's iPhone SE has reached the same, exalted evolutionary pinnacle as the cockroach"

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...te=1&p=5493262
Old 10-10-2017, 05:12 AM

Since updating to ios11 my iPhone 6s has had a random "chine" twice a day at random times. Can't figure it out but other people at Apple support have it as well.

The notifications are turned off on my weather ap, not a gamer, I turned off the reminder and calendar sounds last night as they were they only thing I used "chime" for, but I didn't have any reminders or calendar alerts when it happened. (4 times so far)

Weird.....

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 10-12-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
Since updating to ios11 my iPhone 6s has had a random "chine" twice a day at random times. Can't figure it out but other people at Apple support have it as well.

The notifications are turned off on my weather ap, not a gamer, I turned off the reminder and calendar sounds last night as they were they only thing I used "chime" for, but I didn't have any reminders or calendar alerts when it happened. (4 times so far)

Weird.....
I experienced the same thing or something very similar – even in the middle of the night. I eventually discovered that the chimes coincided with my laptop’s announcement of newly received email even though I had not set up the Mail app on my iPhone to continually receive email. (It was setup to only receive mail whenever I launched the app.)

Though I don’t recall the specific steps I took, I went into SETTINGS and turned it off and haven’t heard the chime, a sound similar to the one the iPhone makes when the charger is plugged into it, since.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy View Post
I'm delighted with the 8 Plus. My hands are small enough that I need two hands to operate any smartphone, even my first iPhone (a 3GS). It even fits in my evening bag. I'm getting amazing battery life too, and typing is easier (though I wish it had the dual-function keypad that iOS11 put on my iPads--gotta go into Settings to see if it's available on the phone).
If you press and hold the Emoji button on the keypad you then have the option or reducing the width of the keypad either to the left or right.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
I experienced the same thing or something very similar – even in the middle of the night. I eventually discovered that the chimes........

Though I don’t recall the specific steps I took, I went into SETTINGS and turned it off and haven’t heard the chime, a sound similar to the one the iPhone makes when the charger is plugged into it, since.
I nailed it down to the "tri-tone" which was NOT chosen to be ANY sound for anything on my phone. Was driving me nuts, and there were several people at Apple Support talking about it. Then my iPad 4 mini started doing it too after it's upgrade to ios11.

What I did...

I kept digging around settings and found News/sounds and turned it off on both the phone and the iPad.

I never noticed that option before, and wonder if that fixed it or if Apple figured it out and fixed it ?

Regardless, it has stopped. Was that like an "alert" to a stinking News update? I have no idea....

Old 10-13-2017, 05:07 AM

Quote:
So many of my files are now in the cloud and can be called up on my phone when they couldn't before (more on that in a sec).
Yep.

That's pretty cool !

Old 10-13-2017, 05:10 AM

Quote:
I wish it had the dual-function keypad that iOS11 put on my iPads--
I have NOT mastered this yet.

What's your secret ?

Old 10-13-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
I have NOT mastered this yet.

What's your secret ?
Pretty simple really. Instead of pressing on a key, you just flick down on it to get the alternate character.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:24 PM

On occasion and especially this time of year - new software, new hardware - it's a good idea to look at the Tips app, look up articles with tips and go over your settings.

The go over your settings can be really important. You might find privacy settings and battery use settings have changed over time or that you just were not aware of. That digging through will help get you up to speed with new software, hardware and app changes.

The clock's alarm to help sleep quality is something I see people have set and not really been aware of. One in my family didn't realize the phone was saying go to bed.

Old 10-15-2017, 05:41 AM

OK, so I got an iPhone. When I tried to get all of it's all it's features coordinated between my computer and iPad, I realized my computer can't keep up. I've got to get a new computer. So, I decided to clean up my current computer in order to determine what I really need. I FINALLY move all my photos into iPhoto (actually called "Photos" now). Jeez, I take a lot of stupid photos. Then I cleaned my office...top to bottom. I threw things away -- guitar stuff I forgot I had, speakers that no longer work, cords to things I no longer own. I organized all my books. I filed. I even dusted.

I AM OUT OF CONTROL.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic