The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-13-2017, 03:59 PM

Question Searching for Sigma Data

I have a Sigma MIJ DM-18 S/N S44869. this information is branded on the center back brace as opposed to being printed on a label:

The headstock is slightly tapered and the logo is the cursive version in Mother of Pearl with the "EST.1970" underlined and also in Mother of Pearl:

What I'm trying to do is get an idea what year this guitar was made. I purchased it around 1987 and it was new at the time, but things I'm seeing on the internet make me think it wasn't a 1987 model.

EDIT: I have a couple of pictures linked in this post using the IMG tag, but I guess I'm not allowed to do that, or they don't allow linking through Dropbox.

Last edited by Fadamor; 10-13-2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Welcome. You are certainly allowed to post pictures. We encourage it.

Please check out this thread... or use the AGF app which is quite easy.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:22 PM

Hmm... tried both .PNG and .JPG formats and still nothing. I'm guessing the problem is getting the picture from Dropbox. I'll try the app.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fadamor View Post
Hmm... tried both .PNG and .JPG formats and still nothing. I'm guessing the problem is getting the picture from Dropbox. I'll try the app.

OK That worked! I know the headstock logo looks gold in the photo but trust me, it's got that rainbow effect like an abalone shell when seen with the naked eye.

Last edited by Fadamor; 10-13-2017 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:37 PM

I don't have the link still but it was easy to find a while back. There is a site that dates "born on" days for Sigma, all years.
Do a search, you should be able to find it, or maybe someone on the forum has the link.

NW

BTW, your Sigma looks like the labeling I have on my 1988 (when I purchased, not the year it was made) DR-35.

NW
Old 10-14-2017, 06:23 AM

I had a 1983 Sigma DR-28 that had the same features as yours. Sorry, it is long gone so I cannot post comparative photos.

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 10-16-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by news_watch View Post
I don't have the link still but it was easy to find a while back. There is a site that dates "born on" days for Sigma, all years.
Do a search, you should be able to find it, or maybe someone on the forum has the link.

NW
Couldn't find a link that worked when searching on that. Closest thing was the write-up in Wikipedia on Sigma Guitars, but that's where things didn't match with what I have.

L.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fadamor View Post
Couldn't find a link that worked when searching on that. Closest thing was the write-up in Wikipedia on Sigma Guitars, but that's where things didn't match with what I have.

L.
Hey, there is an awesome Facebook page, Vintage Sigma Guitars. Richard is a wealth of knowledge and bet he can help. Good Luck!
Old 10-16-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guildman View Post
Hey, there is an awesome Facebook page, Vintage Sigma Guitars. Richard is a wealth of knowledge and bet he can help. Good Luck!
Thanks! I'll give it a try!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
dm-18, sigma (martin)