The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-16-2017, 03:40 PM

My primary gigging guitar is a Seagull S6. They are quite affordable (even more-so on the used market). I use a LR Baggs M80 pickup which is not the cheapest pickup around, but there are many affordable after market pickups available (again, the best deals are going to be on the used market).

If you prefer something that is ready to plug right in, Seagull is still a good option in my opinion, though my experience with their factory pick-up system is exclusively research based rather than first hand experience.

Here is a nice example:

Used Electric/Acoustic Seagull on Reverb.com

No affiliation with the seller.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
You honestly won't get any better than Yamaha at that price level. Yes, I'm biased-but not without good reason.
Maybe I've just never played a Yamaha, but I just can't see myself loving a guitar that is the same brand as my jet ski, or fridge...
Old 10-16-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgottsman11 View Post
Maybe I've just never played a Yamaha, but I just can't see myself loving a guitar that is the same brand as my jet ski, or fridge...
Yamaha began as a musical instrument company, and started making pianos in 1897, long before they ventured into jet skis or whatever. The first guitar from the company was made in 1941. I don't understand this bizarre dismissal through association you're displaying, without even having played a Yamaha guitar. That's like saying, 'I can't see myself driving a Ford because I hated the guy of the same name who was President'! Very odd.

Last edited by AndrewG; 10-16-2017 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:36 PM

I have less than $300 in an Alvarez AJ60s.
You can probably find an AD60 right around $200.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 10-17-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Yamaha began as a musical instrument company, and started making pianos in 1897, long before they ventured into jet skis or whatever. The first guitar from the company was made in 1941. I don't understand this bizarre dismissal through association you're displaying, without even having played a Yamaha guitar. That's like saying, 'I can't see myself driving a Ford because I hated the guy of the same name who was President'! Very odd.
Heck that's why I bought my Yamahas because I already own one worth 20K new!
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 01-31-2018, 01:18 PM

Hello. I'm looking to buy a new guitar in the next several days and I can't seem to decide among three models. Takamine GD51CE, Fender CD140SCE, and Yamaha FGX800C. I will be playing mostly at home and occasionally churches, so I'll be plugging into different PAs and amps.

I like the Tak for the rosewood back and sides, the Fender for the hardshell case it comes with and the Yamaha has a great neck. Haven't had a chance to test the electronics and, frankly, I have no experience with preamps.

I would appreciate any suggestions!
Old 01-31-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergil View Post
Hello. I'm looking to buy a new guitar in the next several days and I can't seem to decide among three models. Takamine GD51CE, Fender CD140SCE, and Yamaha FGX800C. I will be playing mostly at home and occasionally churches, so I'll be plugging into different PAs and amps.

I like the Tak for the rosewood back and sides, the Fender for the hardshell case it comes with and the Yamaha has a great neck. Haven't had a chance to test the electronics and, frankly, I have no experience with preamps.

I would appreciate any suggestions!
I don't have experience with Takamine but I have CD140SCE and had FGX730SCA.
Yamaha will be brighter compared to the Fender but both are good.
I hear the new FG8### is better than FG7###.
If you get to play both in a shop, get the one that feels better in your hand as sound is more than good enough from both to start learning.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
I don't have experience with Takamine but I have CD140SCE and had FGX730SCA.
Yamaha will be brighter compared to the Fender but both are good.
I hear the new FG8### is better than FG7###.
If you get to play both in a shop, get the one that feels better in your hand as sound is more than good enough from both to start learning.
Funny thing is, I've been playing since I was 14 and I'm 31 now, but I never got past the bedroom shredder phase. I feel competent and relaxed as a player, I've owned six guitars over the years but only now am I making plans for live performances. I've already accepted some offers so that's why I'm in a hurry to buy a new guitar with a preamp.

I used to own a Fender CD140SCE a long while back. And I can tell you I had to pick my jaw up from the floor when I tried the new model at the shop. Not only does the new model sound better, but they completely redesigned the neck (including truss rod and even the nut) and they added a second strap button (which the Yamaha painfully lacks) and now it comes with a hardcase. The only "problem" with the Fender is that both the Tak and Yamaha play and sound really nice. So I figured I'd ask around if anybody can say which one has the "best" preamp since that's foreign territory to me.

All three are cheap guitars, so I hope I'm not hijacking the thread
Old 01-31-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Funny thing is, I've been playing since I was 14 and I'm 31 now, but I never got past the bedroom shredder phase. I feel competent and relaxed as a player, I've owned six guitars over the years but only now am I making plans for live performances. I've already accepted some offers so that's why I'm in a hurry to buy a new guitar with a preamp.

I used to own a Fender CD140SCE a long while back. And I can tell you I had to pick my jaw up from the floor when I tried the new model at the shop. Not only does the new model sound better, but they completely redesigned the neck (including truss rod and even the nut) and they added a second strap button (which the Yamaha painfully lacks) and now it comes with a hardcase. The only "problem" with the Fender is that both the Tak and Yamaha play and sound really nice. So I figured I'd ask around if anybody can say which one has the "best" preamp since that's foreign territory to me.

I see.
When I get competent to perform (though that's not my goal), I'd definitely get better guitar than the entry level ones.
If guitar damage is expected, then any of those is fine.
If you have a guitar you like, just add a pickup.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
I see.
When I get competent to perform (though that's not my goal), I'd definitely get better guitar than the entry level ones.
If guitar damage is expected, then any of those is fine.
If you have a guitar you like, just add a pickup.
Thanks for the tip, that crossed my mind, but it's a plan B.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in TC View Post
I played an inexpensive Washburn at a local guitar shop...played really great, sound just OK compared with Martins and Taylors in the same shop, but still - played great. Probably would qualify as sounding 'good' for cheap. As I recall in the $200-300 range, not sure about electronics.
Almost identical experience, and similar rating compared to the Martins and Taylors I played there. But still - it played great! It was a while back, so my recollection is as limited as yours, but consistent.

Another oft-mentioned low end guitar is Recording King, in several models at low prices. I have a nephew who swears by his as an OK sounding low cost starter guitar, and have heard praise here from others.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:

But you just said the Fender sounds nice too? The Fender has an easy-to-play neck profile so it shouldn't play too bad either. I'd just compare them in the store, if possible, and see which you like the best. Plug them into an amp there and fiddle around with the pickups too, of course.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:41 PM

1) Seconding Kitkatjoe's post: I recently got a brand-new Breedlove Pursuit Concert (bubinga) off ebay, gigbag and shipping included, for $350. Solid spruce top. Back and sides are a laminate of Bubinga. Which is very beautiful! Fit and finish on the guitar is awesome. I'm having it set up now with a bone nut and saddle (OEM are plastic). It has onboard electronics and tuner. Just incredible quality for the money.

LINK: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Breedlove-P...53.m2749.l2649

2) Martin DSR (mahogany top) or DSR2 (spruce top). All solid-wood Martin dreadnaught. No fancy/pretty accessories, and made in Mexico. Still a hell of a guitar and I got a used one that is like-new condition, Martin hard case included, for $550. New costs around $900.

3) Martin OM1GT. This is all solid wood, made in PA. The neck is made of "stratabond," which is a synthetic material used to make counters and such. You can Google it. I didn't really think I would like it, but it is fantastic. It doesn't move at all, guitar stays in tune, it feels very smooth ( I went over it with steel wool). Used with Martin hard case for $600. New is over $1,000.

HAPPY HUNTING!!!
Old 01-31-2018, 05:09 PM

I didn't take time to read through all the replies. But the way I see it, guitars and electronics, if possible should be purchased separately if you're interested in sound quality both acoustically and electronically.

Acoustically, the one brand that I find both cheap and good are Washburn guitars. I cannot tell you how many times I've picked up a Washburn listed at $150 and was really impressed. Being in that price range, they range in consistency, but there are a few winners that I've come across.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 01-31-2018, 06:15 PM

Yamaha (anything in your price range), 100 series Taylor’s with the new ES2, Martin X series would be my recommendations. As for the plugged in tone of all of those, the Taylor would be the best with the ES2. Otherwise, there are different shapes and tones to suit your preferences.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion