The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-16-2017, 06:44 AM

Take a look at the Stonebridge acoustic bass guitar (it looks very much like that Tacoma Thunderchief, but it's much more current and it's made in Europe). I played one for a while and thought it sounded more like an upright than anything else I've encountered, especially the fretless version. Plenty of volume - even the low E - for playing by yourself at home, and a nice ax for gigging. The drawbacks are it's large, and it's expensive. That's why I suggested the little Gold Tone Microbass first.

Old 10-16-2017, 11:32 AM

To the OP, if you really want one of these, I'd look for a used instrument, since, like 12 string guitars, the novelty wears off quickly for many owners and a buyer can find a decent price for a used one.

Although I'm with the camp that believes that the great majority of acoustic bass guitars don't sound very good, and that they certainly don't produce any appreciable volume when unplugged, either, unless you get one of the old school jumbo ones.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:16 PM

Default Ibenez

I bought a cheap one. An Ibenez. I wanted to mess around on one, and I didnt want to thump the whole house. I read all the criticisms. This was so cheap I didnt care. Gonna be a nice wall hanger, gonna be handed to the odd person out if we're at my house jammin. The odd person cant do much damage with a quiet acoustic base, but they can plunk along and have fun.
RNF
Old 10-16-2017, 03:54 PM

I bought a Taylor GS mini E bass recently.
Its the best acoustic bass I've played. Strings from D'Addario are designed specially for this model .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion