The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-10-2017, 10:02 PM
Charter Member

Default USA to miss 2018 World Cup

With a dismal performance against Trinidad & Tobago tonight the US will miss qualifying for the World Cup for the first time since 1986. I'm a huge soccer fan and played in high school and college so I'm very disappointed. With such a huge population and such a well developed youth soccer and national training program it is just a shame that we still cannot compete at the international level with any consistency.

Rob
Old 10-10-2017, 10:43 PM

I feel your pain. My team Chile is also out, went into tonight's game in third place (top 4 qualify with 5th place going to the wild card game against New Zealand). We lost 3-0 to Brazil, by the time all games were done this evening, we ended up in 6th place, simply devastating. We blew the two previous games, losing to Paraguay at home 3-0, horrible game, then followed with a 1-0 (penalty kick) loss to Bolivia in La Paz.
We had won the last two copa Americas, beating Argentina both times, were ranked 7th in the world and now here we are wondering what happened. Brazil only lost one game the entire qualifier, that was against Chile in Santiago.
It will be a sleepless night for me, I am just devastated.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:27 PM
Charter Member

I was shocked at Chile going out as well. Losing to Bolivia in La Paz with the high altitude I could understand (USA has the same challenge when we play in Mexico City) but the Paraguay game was very difficult to understand. Chile looked positioned to make a difference at the World Cup having finally mastered Argentina and then to go from 3rd to 6th in one day, well the nation must be shocked. And then to have Messi turn in a hat trick and have Argentina sneak in when they were on their deathbed, that would keep me up at night too. At least Americans have no illusions about our team, we're happy (and expect) to qualify regularly but we know that we are not a powerhouse. Chile looked very strong and qualifying from South American is probably tougher than getting in from Europe. The Dutch, third place finishers at the last Cup, are not going either. Craziness.

Rob
Old 10-11-2017, 06:53 AM

Never mind guys.... I’m Scottish.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar12 View Post
With a dismal performance against Trinidad & Tobago tonight the US will miss qualifying for the World Cup for the first time since 1986. I'm a huge soccer fan and played in high school and college so I'm very disappointed. With such a huge population and such a well developed youth soccer and national training program it is just a shame that we still cannot compete at the international level with any consistency.

Rob

My daughter played, including in college so I've become more of a fan because of that. And I agree, it doesn't make sense that we aren't competing but I can't help but think it has something to do with final selections or politics at the highest level. I'm not convinced we don't have enough talent to compete. I have a lot of issues with how we do youth soccer development but I saw enough to think we just aren't getting our best players, and I guess our best coach matched to those players, in front of the world.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Never mind guys.... I’m Scottish.
Strachan claims the Scots are too short. Come on Jon get your footy boots on, your country needs you.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:44 AM

Default Out!

The coach gets the blame...as usual! Now I can root for Germany
Old 10-11-2017, 07:50 AM

You want real pain? Try following England................. and also being a Newcastle United supporter!
Old 10-11-2017, 07:50 AM

It's too bad but most teams don't make the Cup - that's why there are qualifying rounds. US missed it by one point, one win, one..... we missed it now I can watch the Cup without a dog in the fight. Great way to watch.

Last edited by DenverSteve; 10-11-2017 at 08:00 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:10 AM

It's weird. After the decisive win on Friday, it was virtually a shoe in that we made the World Cup. I was busy last night so I didn't watch, but I thought it was a formality that we would get in last night.

Then I read what happened late last night and I couldn't believe it. It was just a perfect a storm of events that kept us out. Although winning last night would have been all we needed.

I played as a kid but didn't really start following soccer closely until about 10 years ago. I am a sports nut though, it just took me a while to start watching soccer... I've been watching football and basketball for example for 30 years. Anyhow, it's disappointing, but I actually think US soccer is improving. With young players like Yedlin, Wood, and Pulisic, I think we'll maybe compete in the next 5 years for once. Pulisic is a legit soccer talent in any country. Also, Altidore is coming into his own now too.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 10-13-2017, 11:25 AM

The U.S. isn't missing the World Cup. Only the men's team. The women will do fine.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:39 AM

Location: Nowhere man please listen you don't know what you're missing

"It's burning and bursting into flames and the... and it's falling on the mooring mast. And all the folks agree that this is terrible; this is the worst of the worst catastrophes in the world. Oh it's... [unintelligible] its flames... Crashing, oh! Four- or five-hundred feet into the sky and it... it's a terrific crash, ladies and gentlemen. It's smoke, and it's in flames now; and the frame is crashing to the ground, not quite to the mooring mast. Oh, the humanity!"~ Fox Sport's advertising VP.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:14 PM

US women's team is definitely light years ahead of most nations. Old fashioned thinking in many countries where the men's team is considered a contender in soccer has kept the women from developing into strong teams.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:11 PM

In this part of the country, at least, the big college athletic programs don't even have men's soccer--presumably because of Title 9. There's no men's soccer in the Big 12 or the SEC, I think. Women's soccer, yes.

So, that may affect the quality of who goes in to or stays in men's soccer in the USA.
1976 Ovation 1613-4 nylon--spruce top
1963 Guild Mark II nylon--spruce top
Old 10-16-2017, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
The U.S. isn't missing the World Cup. Only the men's team. The women will do fine.
yes indeed. Canadian Women will be there to.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic