The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-19-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltguitar View Post
Another option? I have not tried it.

https://carvinaudio.com/products/s600b ???
I have a thread on this unit you can get to using search. In summary. Nada.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

I did own the previous generation of Stagemate and liked it quite a bit. I never had the chance to compare it to the AER.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Yes, "The market is lacking the "Perfect Solo Act Setup" if it weren't there would be one manufacture with one model
Yes! Exactly!

There should be one company that makes one product that is the go-to standard for touring performers who play the guitar and sing! Not a ton of companies that make a ton of products that come sort of close but are always missing the mark!

It seems like there is a whole in the market right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I feel like there are more options than ever, and if you can get your mind around having a small unpowered mixer and a quality powered speaker (a pair if you really need the extra coverage) you can do very well for very little money.
This is basically what I'm doing. Despite what it might sound like in this thread, I'm quite happy with my set up. I have two JBL Eon Ones, a QSC TouchMix8 and a TC Helicon VoiceSolo 150 FX. I can go into the TouchMix and out to one or two Eon Ones as needed and I then use the VoiceSolo as my monitor. Or I could skip the mixer and go into the VoiceSolo and then out to an Eon One (or two if I put a GoRack in there.)

I would gladly trade in the VoiceSolo for what I've been describing: something a little bit bigger that sounds better and could fill a small venue on its own. But that something would have to do what the VoiceSolo can do: be mounted on a stand and tilt at a couple different angles to be a good monitor. Oddly, nothing like that seems to exist!

Matt

Last edited by open-road-matt; 05-19-2017 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by open-road-matt View Post
Yes! Exactly!

There should be one company that makes one product that is the go-to standard for touring performers who play the guitar and sing! Not a ton of companies that make a ton of products that come sort of close but are always missing the mark!

It seems like there is a whole in the market right now.

This is basically what I'm doing. Despite what it might sound like in this thread, I'm quite happy with my set up. I have two JBL Eon Ones, a QSC TouchMix8 and a TC Helicon VoiceSolo 150 FX. I can go into the TouchMix and out to one or two Eon Ones as needed and I then use the VoiceSolo as my monitor. Or I could skip the mixer and go into the VoiceSolo and then out to an Eon One (or two if I put a GoRack in there.)

I would gladly trade in the VoiceSolo for what I've been describing: something a little bit bigger that sounds better and could fill a small venue on its own. But that something would have to do what the VoiceSolo can do: be mounted on a stand and tilt at a couple different angles to be a good monitor. Oddly, nothing like that seems to exist!

Matt
Matt you seem to have misunderstood my post. While it is quite possible that there is such a system (that you have not found yet) for your individual tastes and preference criteria ... It is impossible for one model or system to be the "go to" for everyone doing solo touring as a singer, guitar player . Because they all have different criteria for preference. There are far to many individual sets of criteria and orders of preference, and magnitudes of importance, like .... best quality sound - cost- portability- simplicity -versatility- number of pieces - audience coverage - amount of effects possibility- on board effects - outboard effects - control over parameters -presets- etc.etc.etc. It is not possible to be all things to all people or even the right compromise of factors to all people .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 05-19-2017, 08:36 PM

I am sticking with Matt's desire for one Do-it-all solution. Sure, some would not want to pay the price for such a unit. Some might think its overkill and why pay for options they don't use, or at least for now. So I think we are talking about us who gig a couple of times per month or more and want premium tone with the onboard options to supply that tone which includes what has previously been mentioned in this thread. I can easily, right now, imagine such a unit and if I had the funds and know how, could build it. Not too hard. Might cost two grand but it would be what many of us want. The rest of the guitar players and vocalists might be happy with less expensive, less quality and fewer options than those of us who I am part of. One is sure not better than the other. No way. A guy or woman with a beat up old Harmony guitar with a cheap old beat up amp with no effects might have more fun than myself and enjoy their music to the max. I started there in 1967.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 05-19-2017, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Each player/duo/ensemble will prefer certain sound reinforcement solutions over others based on whatever factors are important to them.

For me (solo fingerstyle, no vocals), I'm content with a mini-PA made up of high quality components and the knowledge of how to use them.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:59 PM
Charter Member

SO for my tastes this is my "Go to" front end

SKB rolling rack with;

Monster 2500 power conditioner
Langevin (by Manley Labs) DVC combo hi end 2 channel analog mic pres/DI ...EQ...Limiter
TC Electronics M3000 digital studio reverb processor
Run this into either a good two channel amp and a pair of oh Say.... Daedalus 803's and you will have a great system . Or skip the amp and something like a pair of powered Line 6 stage source speakers
Point of interest they don't make the DVC But two grand $ will get ya started on another great sounding mic pre ,something like say a Pendulum Audio SPS-1 ..Then another two grand will get ya the reverb and the power conditioner. Then speakers are a bit under $3000, the amp maybe another $500

Sure some might not want to pay the price for such a system, but if you are after premium tone .. Well then figure $6k to $10k would be a good start.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 05-19-2017 at 11:04 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Matt you seem to have misunderstood my post. While it is quite possible that there is such a system (that you have not found yet) for your individual tastes and preference criteria ... It is impossible for one model or system to be the "go to" for everyone doing solo touring as a singer, guitar player . Because they all have different criteria for preference. There are far to many individual sets of criteria and orders of preference, and magnitudes of importance, like .... best quality sound - cost- portability- simplicity -versatility- number of pieces - audience coverage - amount of effects possibility- on board effects - outboard effects - control over parameters -presets- etc.etc.etc. It is not possible to be all things to all people or even the right compromise of factors to all people .
I understood your post. I just made the choice to take it in a different direction. I didn't see much merit in discussing whether or not one company could make one product that satisfied the needs of everyone. I assumed that you must know that I know that it would be impossible for one thing to appeal to all people. That's not the point of this thread at all!

Yes, we all might need/want different things but the list of the basics really isn't that long. Yet it seems like all of the products we've discussed here are missing one or more of the basics. Why?!

How many different ways are there to use an acoustic amp?

Three: 1) mounted on a stand, 2) sitting upright on the floor/table/counter and 3) tilted back as a monitor.

How many channels does a singer/guitar player need?

Two: ideally that accept both 1/4" and XLR with 3 band EQ plus a master volume.

This isn't rocket science and these aren't my super weird, quirky criteria!

Add a DI out, make it small enough to be portable yet enough to fill a small venue and I think this would appeal to a large group of people.

Yet this product doesn't seem to exist. So many are so close. That seems weird to me. That's all.

Matt
Old 05-19-2017, 11:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I understood your post. I just made the choice to take it in a different direction. I didn't see much merit in discussing whether or not one company could make one product that satisfied the needs of everyone. I assumed that you must know that I know that it would be impossible for one thing to appeal to all people. That's not the point of this thread at all!

Yes, we all might need/want different things but the list of the basics really isn't that long. Yet it seems like all of the products we've discussed here are missing one or more of the basics. Why?!

Three: 1) mounted on a stand, 2) sitting upright on the floor/table/counter and 3) tilted back as a monitor.

Add a DI out, make it small enough to be portable yet enough to fill a small venue and I think this would appeal to a large group of people.

Yet this product doesn't seem to exist. So many are so close. That seems weird to me. That's all.

Matt
It exists but you have to put it together based on your specific preferences as per my prior post above which has "the basics" covered .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 05-19-2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:

Matt

I think you're right about this. The closest I came to your criteria is the Line 6 L2t. But, it's very heavy at 40 lbs. I was hoping they would release an 8" speaker version, or their own line array. Have you tried an L2t?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2017, 11:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It exists but you have to put it together based on your specific preferences as per my prior post above which has "the basics" covered .
True, and I have done that.

But clearly companies like AER realize that people want multiple configurations. They demonstrated that by making the Slope 60. But then they leave off the stand mount!

QSC realized that people wanted more options with the little K8 so now the K8.2 can easily tilt back as a wedge monitor. I know the K8 and the 8.2 are not supposed to be stand alone amps but with just a couple tweaks they could be.

Bose heard the requests for a smaller, more portable L1 system so they made the Compact. No master volume.

So companies are tweaking products to give users more options and more versatility so why not just add the missing features?

Is it so we have to buy/use more gear?

Matt
Old 05-19-2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:

Matt
The Baggs synapse should do the job. If you put it on the side, since it throw at 180 degree you won't have any angle problem as a wedge. It is not cheap.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 05-19-2017, 11:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I think you're right about this. The closest I came to your criteria is the Line 6 L2t. But, it's very heavy at 40 lbs. I was hoping they would release an 8" speaker version, or their own line array. Have you tried an L2t?

I haven't tried the L2t. I read about it and watched some videos. I agree that it looks close but it is big!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
The Baggs synapse should do the job. If you put it on the side, since it throw at 180 degree you won't have any angle problem as a wedge. It is not cheap.
The Synapse could do the trick. It looks promising! You're right though...not cheap. But if it does what they say it can do, it might be worth it. I'm excited to try one.

Matt
Old 05-19-2017, 11:47 PM

Quote:
I haven't tried the L2t. I read about it and watched some videos. I agree that it looks close but it is big!

The Synapse could do the trick. It looks promising! You're right though...not cheap. But if it does what they say it can do, it might be worth it. I'm excited to try one.

Matt

The Baggs Synapse came to mind for me too. $2,000 for a speaker seems outrageous. But, if it works, we'll all end up selling our stuff and buying one. :-). Someone (not me this time) needs to take one for the team.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:52 PM

Acus (company from former workers of SR tech) make a JAM 150 that is tillable with me extra accessory.

Acus forstrings Cremona. It s for Spanish guitars but I am pretty sure there was an acus 8 (jam150) version few years ago

There is one in the shop where I ve tried the HK nano 600. In France, you can find those everywhere...
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification