The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-20-2012, 10:59 AM

Default Seymour duncan Sa-6 mag mic

General thoughts on the mag mic.

how well does it work with percussive style playing?

any alternatives I should look in to?

what do you like about it?

does the output need alot of EQ?

any help would be fantastic acctually / Krister
Old 01-20-2012, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

Default Magmic is very nice,

Aloha,

I own a Duncan SA-6 Magmic. Not being much of a fan of the un-natural (for some styles) sound of ANY magnetic pickup used alone, I only use the Magmic when I play on a loud, tight stage or in a louder band situation. I turn off all the mic's & use the Magmic, alone, or blended with a K&K mini. I carry it in my case for those louder situations & slap it in as needed. FOr me, it's just another arrow in the quiver so I am fully prepared for any gigging situation.

Plusses: The Magmic is feedback-free, gives you lots of control & a nice, warm bass if you keep it in the background of your live mix & blend with other sources (a K&K mini/AKG 416 internal mic combo in my case). You can also adjust the individual posts to enhance or augment different frequencies as well as controlling its mic separately as well.

Minusses: It's expensive (around $250) & pretty heavy & uses an onboard battery. So I never keep it in the guitar when I don't use it (only a few times a year at most). The heavier pickups can affect the unplugged sound of your guitar.

The Sunrise is the only overall better soundhole magnetic P/U I've used. It's much better than the Fishman or Baggs magnetics, IMO.

If you are looking for a great sounding magnetic soundhole P/U that doesn't weigh much, takes up very little space, & is rechargeable -in one minute!- w/o batteries? Then check out the Mi-Si Duo (cheap @ $130 street). That's the magnetic P/U I would buy now. Great sound & performance.

As always, try them all out before you buy & trust your ears.

Good Luck.

alohachris
Old 01-21-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
Aloha,

I own a Duncan SA-6 Magmic. Not being much of a fan of the un-natural (for some styles) sound of ANY magnetic pickup used alone, I only use the Magmic when I play on a loud, tight stage or in a louder band situation. I turn off all the mic's & use the Magmic, alone, or blended with a K&K mini. I carry it in my case for those louder situations & slap it in as needed. FOr me, it's just another arrow in the quiver so I am fully prepared for any gigging situation.

Plusses: The Magmic is feedback-free, gives you lots of control & a nice, warm bass if you keep it in the background of your live mix & blend with other sources (a K&K mini/AKG 416 internal mic combo in my case). You can also adjust the individual posts to enhance or augment different frequencies as well as controlling its mic separately as well.

Minusses: It's expensive (around $250) & pretty heavy & uses an onboard battery. So I never keep it in the guitar when I don't use it (only a few times a year at most). The heavier pickups can affect the unplugged sound of your guitar.

The Sunrise is the only overall better soundhole magnetic P/U I've used. It's much better than the Fishman or Baggs magnetics, IMO.

If you are looking for a great sounding magnetic soundhole P/U that doesn't weigh much, takes up very little space, & is rechargeable -in one minute!- w/o batteries? Then check out the Mi-Si Duo (cheap @ $130 street). That's the magnetic P/U I would buy now. Great sound & performance.

As always, try them all out before you buy & trust your ears.

Good Luck.

alohachris
alohachris how good does it work with percussive playing? does the built in condenser work good in that aspect?
Old 01-21-2012, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Default Magmic works well for percussive

Aloha,

The Magmic works very well in percussive styles. The mic can be blended to taste - no issue. Although I don't have any clips to share, you can clearly hear the Magmic in that style on several samples available at Doug Young's pickup comparison site here:

http://www.dougyoungguitar.com/pickuptests/

Doug has several samples of the Magmic in the higher-numbered samples above #71.

I must say that the Mi-Si Duo also works great in tapping styles too.

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 01-21-2012 at 01:10 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification