The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-29-2017, 02:46 PM

Default Help onTransition playing seated vs Standing

I normally play and sing seated on a stool. When I am seated I don't normally wear a strap. Lately I have had the opportunity to play a few open mics where everyone stands to perform. I find that I am much less comfortable standing. Bar chords are more difficult and my mic technique is not as good. I do wear a strap at these events and position the guitar at the same height as sitting, but still can't seem to get used to it. Sometimes I even feel like I am going to fall into the mic. I am 6'4" and always have to adjust the mic, but still feel awkward. So, any hints on how to overcome? Or should I just bring my collapsible stool and play the over 60 card. Lol.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:27 PM

I always play seated, and I didn't change for gigs or open mics. I found that a bar stool worked well for me. - But I only play, no vocals, so I wouldn't know how much difference it would make to your singing.

Having once been badly caught out by lack of a suitable chair, I would now take one with me.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:38 PM

I think standing practice is the key. I almost always play standing at home practicing or at a gig. I am at the point where I find it is easier to play difficult passages standing. Just takes time.

hunter
Old 10-30-2017, 04:07 AM
Charter Member

I was once advised to a) always wear a strap so the hands didn’t have to also hold the guitar, and b) set the strap length so it works standing or seated.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 10-30-2017, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsstrider View Post
I normally play and sing seated on a stool. When I am seated I don't normally wear a strap. Lately I have had the opportunity to play a few open mics where everyone stands to perform. I find that I am much less comfortable standing. Bar chords are more difficult and my mic technique is not as good. I do wear a strap at these events and position the guitar at the same height as sitting, but still can't seem to get used to it. Sometimes I even feel like I am going to fall into the mic. I am 6'4" and always have to adjust the mic, but still feel awkward. So, any hints on how to overcome? Or should I just bring my collapsible stool and play the over 60 card. Lol.
The latter is not a bad idea!

However, at 6'4", standing makes you look impressive to begin with (always an advantage live), and I think you should definitely take the time to adjust the mic so you don't have to lean forward or (worse) down to it. You should be able to stand straight, facing directly forward, or even up slightly, for good vocal production. You have to look like you own the stage, you're not being forced to accommodate yourself to someone else's set-up. (Let all those little guys have to adjust it back when you leave the stage... )

With the guitar, practice at home to get comfortable with left hand position when standing. It's possible you tend to lean the guitar back a little when seated; it will face forward when standing, and the strap may mean the guitar hangs more central to your body than when seated. You may need to adjust the strap, or bring the neck up, or whatever. Sing standing up too!

But if you find it hard to get comfortable that way (singing and playing standing at home), if your performance suffers, go with the stool. (One of my own guitar heroes never played standing in his whole life; he simply never owned a strap. You can be as authoritative sitting down as standing.)
Old 10-30-2017, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

Yes, it certainly is different playing standing vs sitting. I found it a challenge in the beginning, but I also found it didn't take too long to become comfortable with it. You just have to push through.

Or you could take the stool - there's no law that says you can't sit. You will find that you can sing better and with more volume when you're standing.

steve
Old 10-30-2017, 07:40 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Sit and deliver!

Chris Smither is at least as tall as you, and always sits!

If the guitar feels more comfortable that way, embrace it!

Best,
Howard Emerson
Old 10-30-2017, 08:26 AM

Thanks everyone for responding. I have decided to sit. Bring my own stool if needed.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
I'd say it's your call. If you feel like playing on a collapsible stool, just stick to that.

Playing standing up certainly gives a different (i'd say better) presence. It's also something you may want to do so that you can play that way with others who stand, either in a group / band or a jam.

I've changed the position I hold my guitar and where I adjust my strap so that it's fairly similar whether I'm standing, sitting or on a stool. It's never exactly the same thanks to geometry.

I encourage you to rehearse standing up. It also helps to rehearse standing up in front of a mirror, not to mention with a mic in your face.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write