The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 04-09-2017, 07:22 PM

Default My Latest - Gibson Off-Brand

I have had this one a while now so figured it was time to unveil it - a 1935 Capital. The Capital was built by Gibson for J.W. Jenkins Music Store. Pressed spruced top, mahogany body, X braced, with a 16" lower bout. No truss rod of course. You gotta love the inlaid skunk stripe down the board which begs the question of why Gibson would go through the trouble on a guitar that sold for $25. This is basically a re-badged Cromwell G-4. No need to re-invent the wheel. Gibson was just trying to survive the Great Depression. Nice thick V neck and a feel that is all Gibson. The sound to my ears comes off all the world like an electric. Go figure.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:36 PM

It is what it is and I really like it.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:06 PM

Very cool!
2006 Jubal Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Prairie State Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Senorita
2020 Iris Smeck
1972 Guild Killdeer F112-6 Part Deux
Old 04-10-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
You gotta love the inlaid skunk stripe down the board which begs the question of why Gibson would go through the trouble on a guitar that sold for $25.]
My guess is it's not inlaid, but that the skunk stripe is sandwiched between two pieces of rosewood that would have otherwise been scrap. Seems like a good depression era cost cutting measure, so it makes sense.

Check the end of the fingerboard. Does the stripe go all the way through, or is it inlaid?
Old 04-10-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Vibrato View Post
My guess is it's not inlaid, but that the skunk stripe is sandwiched between two pieces of rosewood that would have otherwise been scrap. Seems like a good depression era cost cutting measure, so it makes sense.

Check the end of the fingerboard. Does the stripe go all the way through, or is it inlaid?
Nope - it is inlaid. It is inlaid on the Cromwells, which I have played more than a few of, as well. Some later versions of the Cromwell, in fact, have two skunk stripes.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Cool beans, ZW.

I've never played one of these, but it shares some features in common with the old Kalamazoos.

That skunk stripe is unique. One might even reckon that the folks at Gibby were using parts intended for more ornate guitars?

Optima dies, prima fugit
For Sale: Larrivee P 01Khttps://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...49#post7433849

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops