The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 02-08-2017, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Um, he did:
That would depend on the parameters used in defining each. For example, the ES-165 in my sig. It's a full hollowbody archtop, yet with a laminate top and a big humbucker hanging on it, there is no way that I would consider it an acoustic guitar. It's not that simple.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 02-08-2017, 09:21 AM

Well, it is if we're following the OP's post--he wants an acoustic guitar, and archtop acoustic.

But I agree, there's a lot of in between and such. I've even played a few all laminates that sounded really good unplugged. It's certainly not as cut and dry as it is in the flat top world.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-08-2017, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post

But I agree, there's a lot of in between and such. I've even played a few all laminates that sounded really good unplugged. It's certainly not as cut and dry as it is in the flat top world.
Yes, that's what I'm trying to say - to establish how much "acoustic" you require. While many people seem to love the acoustic archtop sans pickup, I personally would have no use for it, and would need at least a floater.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 03-07-2017, 10:02 PM

I picked up a '57 ES-125 last summer and had it totally redone, frets and nut and bridge and all. Amazing as an electric. Amazing as an acoustic. Really not a bad price for such a cool vintage. But you NEED flatwounds for an archtop, IMO. It's just so cool that way...
Old 03-08-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
I picked up a '57 ES-125 last summer and had it totally redone, frets and nut and bridge and all. Amazing as an electric. Amazing as an acoustic. Really not a bad price for such a cool vintage. But you NEED flatwounds for an archtop, IMO. It's just so cool that way...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
...I've even played a few all-laminates that sounded really good unplugged. It's certainly not as cut and dry as it is in the flat-top world.
I'm not surprised - and as Jeff said, there are a number of all-laminate archtops that have consistently good acoustic tone, whether designed as primarily acoustic instruments (Gibson L-48, Guild A-50, Godin 5th Avenue) or built-in-pickup electrics. BTW, if you like your '57 ES-125, try to find a 17" ES-150 from a couple years prior (they were discontinued in 1956) to check out - these could give many a contemporary L-7 a real run for its money acoustically, and in-the-trenches working pros often used them as true double-duty guitars in the days when every night club in town featured live music. Incidentally, although I use flatwounds almost exclusively on my own electrics, I'd recommend trying a set of medium-gauge Martin Monels if you intend to use yours as a dual-purpose instrument - I think you'll find a major improvement in the acoustic tone, and they're every bit as period-correct as the flats...

Use it well and often...
Old 03-09-2017, 02:41 PM

When I had a more than decent guitar collection, I had a number of '30s archtops from Gibson and others.

These days, I am thrilled with my recent purchase of an Eastman AR 910CE. Terrific guitar bought used for $1500. Dead mint as is the case. I might change out the pickup or have it revoiced but other than that the guitar is a screaming deal at twice the price...

Old 03-09-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjewell View Post
...I might change out the pickup or have it revoiced...
This one should give you a whole big bunch of post-war, early bop-era mojo:

https://shop.guildguitars.com/produc...0-pickup-gold/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops