The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-12-2015, 09:43 PM

Default Using Rode Nt1a for live performance

Several months ago I bought a Rode NT1A. I have used this mic mainly for practicing with my partner in acoustic duo. We've been doing this at my home. I have not done any recording, but maybe in the future. We have really enjoyed using a single mic. No pick ups, multiple mics, not a bunch of cables...except one cable going from the mic into my mixer. we like this set up so much we'd like to use it during live performance. I realize condenser mics can be troublesome in live situations. So, has anyone tried using this mic for gigging. Bluegrassers use a one mic system and I am thinking along those lines.

Last edited by firelakekid2; 10-14-2015 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:23 AM
Charter Member

Yes, frequently. Only I have the first version - the NT1.

It works really well.

I am often asked to provide the music in the beer garden of the lovely old thatched cottage where I hold my club.

I have an old Peavey mixer/amp going to 12" passive cabs which we place as far away from the performing area as we can. I use no enhancements apart from reverb, which I do the old fashioned way - turn it on until you can just perceive it , then one notch back. No EQ necessary.

I set the NT1 on a straight (non boom) stand, about 4/5 feet high, and it picks up vocals and instruments perfectly well.

We position our selves about 2-3 feet away from it. I've used it for a four piece bluegrass band and had solo and duop folk sitting and playing into it (obviously I adjust the height).

People are frequently complimenting us on the sound quality.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:18 PM

Using condensers live usually works just fine until you start including stage monitors. That's what seperates those who know from those who don't.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:45 AM

Thanks guys for replying. I guess I'll just have to experiment and practice with this mic. And you are right Tomm I would never use monitors with this mic or condenser. So far the challenge seems to be getting volume before feedback. I can't really do much in my 14 by 26 living room. But eventually try to practice in a more open area with speakers placed at a distance and see what happens. I use the mic with Soundcraft EFX 8 mixer into Yahmaha DXR 10 speaker.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification