The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-10-2012, 06:02 PM

Default Seagull question??

What would be a top Seagull acoustic elec. for that 'bassy' country/bluegrass style????
Old 11-10-2012, 07:35 PM

Good question ... not sure if there's a good answer. Most don't think of Seagull and descriptions like bluegrass or bassy ...

However, my sitka spruce top, mahogany laminate back/sides Seagull M6 Gloss comes as close to your description as any Seagull I've played. Unfortunately they have been discontinued some time back. You still see them on CL and Ebay.

The Seagull Maritime SWS QI is sitka over solid mahogany. The ones I've played sound nice, but I'm not sure I'd describe them as particularly "bassy" ... but they are exceptionally nice guitars in that price range ($750 or so).

Overall, if you want a good versatile Seagull, I'd recommend the Seagull Entourage Rustic QI ... they play and sound great and are pretty affordable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeynichol View Post
What would be a top Seagull acoustic elec. for that 'bassy' country/bluegrass style????

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 11-10-2012, 07:43 PM

Pepe D'Agostino model if you want the best.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemian View Post
Pepe D'Agostino model if you want the best.
Not sure that 1.9 neck is what a bluegrasser/country picker would want. Not especially bassy either, Seagull dreadnoughts are well balanced, not bass shifted like Martins for example.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:51 PM

If you really want a Seagull I think your best bet for that style is the SWS Rosewood, solid rosewood b/s and solid spruce top, 1.72" nut. You can get it with quantum electrics.

The Studio Cutaway would be also be a pretty good choice if you want a cutaway.

But you really might want to play them first. If you want something in the same price range you could get a Blueridge that would probably have more tone more like what you describe. Or, the Musicians Friend/Guitar Center Martin Custom D and then get a pickup installed.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:31 AM

I'm curious also. I don't know the ins and outs of acoustic guitars and the ins and outs of the different makes and models, I've mainly been an electric player.That's why I've joined this forum, to increase my knowledge before I purchase a acoustic guitar.
So after reading many discussions here on the forum concerning the many different components that affect acoustic guitar sound I'm wondering if Godins change to a longer scale length will alter the tonal response of their Dreadnought range.
Has anybody played the same or comparable models of each scale length.
Thanks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion