The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-01-2010, 03:20 PM

That's a good idea Fran. Now I know what to do with my Q3SD.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
I've also been experimenting with using the H2 as an external mic. Zoom did a nice job on the headphone outputs of the H series recorders which means they're useful as a powered mic with line level outs - a perfect fit with the Q.

Fran
Hi Fran,
It's me, your dedicated follower
I'm now in Thailand for 3 month vacation so I can't do anything about recording experimentation but I keep an eye on this matter intensively. When I'm back in USA I'm sure I can make a final dicision about this. It's very interesting that you'll will use H2 as the external mic. Thanks again for what you're doing now for us
Old 12-02-2010, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orsino View Post
That's a good idea Fran. Now I know what to do with my Q3SD.
Tom, you're a geeenius (pronounced with a hard "g").

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 12-02-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by napman View Post
Hi Fran,
It's me, your dedicated follower
I'm now in Thailand for 3 month vacation so I can't do anything about recording experimentation but I keep an eye on this matter intensively. When I'm back in USA I'm sure I can make a final dicision about this. It's very interesting that you'll will use H2 as the external mic. Thanks again for what you're doing now for us
And people think I'm decadent because I spend a month on the windward side of O`ahu ... are you traveling in Thailand or staying in one place?

I spent this morning shooting some clips with the H2 as a mic along with some using the Q3HD built-in mic at various distances. I was really pleased with the results using the H2. And, of course, any recorder that puts out a clean headphone signal would serve the same purpose ... even a Q3sd.

Here's the blog post: http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2010/...t-the-zoom-h2/ and here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_kZv91-rgU

Fran
Old 12-02-2010, 01:31 AM

Hi Fran,
Well, I mainly stay at Saraphi, Chiangmai at our vacation home, but never hesitated to go traveling whenever the opportunities arose.
I took an early retirement at the age of 62 in Jan. last year (2009) so I can enjoy what I've been yearning for all of those years. And now I'm enjoying the best time of my life

Your YouTube one is so useful and very informative I'd suggest everyone here to watch it besides the ones at your own blog.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:26 AM

Great work Fran!

Thanks for your effort.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 12-02-2010, 08:49 AM

Thanks again, Fran - great stuff. What I find interesting is that, despite being made with their "best mics", I don't feel like the recording from the Q3HD mics sounds any better than the one using the H2. In a way that's good news (since I own an H2).

What continues to disappoint me is the video quality. Most of the shots I've seen, including the video shootout between that and the Flip Ultra HD leave me with the impression that the video isn't as good as the Flip Ultra HD nor the Kodak Zi8.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:51 AM

Fran - this is great! This comparison is very useful, as I've been playing around a lot with my Q3HD this week trying to get the best sound. When you did the distance comparison using the internal mics, it sounds like you got better sound from the full shot range than I did in my guitar only shot (the middle distance shot - see my youtube under username DropD1123). Maybe part of it is the room? I'm having a lot of trouble getting decent levels out of my Zoom, even when using the mic only at a close range.

Anyway, thanks again for your postings and great playing. Along with all the recording info, you've also inspired me to try and learn a little bit of slack-key. And glad to see that you got your Charlie Chaplin moves back
Old 12-02-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg View Post
Thanks again, Fran - great stuff. What I find interesting is that, despite being made with their "best mics", I don't feel like the recording from the Q3HD mics sounds any better than the one using the H2. In a way that's good news (since I own an H2).

What continues to disappoint me is the video quality. Most of the shots I've seen, including the video shootout between that and the Flip Ultra HD leave me with the impression that the video isn't as good as the Flip Ultra HD nor the Kodak Zi8.
Interesting that you see that Zi8 as producing better video. That's not how it looks to me, but I continue to suspect that my Zi8 is having technical difficulties. I should do a comparo with my Flip UHD to confirm. If the Zi8 is failing, this is the second one to die on me, so I don't think I'll be investing in any more of these.

When I compared the H2 and H4n I found so little difference in audio quality using the built-in mics that I returned the H4n. http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2009/...-the-zoom-h4n/

In your other post you mention the idea of connecting your AT stereo mic to the H2. According to the guys at the Zoom forum, the H2 mic input is its weakest feature, they find it rather noisy compared to the internal mics. This is where the H4n jumps ahead of the H2.

Here's the techie thread on the H2: http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=9745

When I've done my gig recordings I use an attenuator between the mixer and the H2 Line In and get my audio that way. Then I mix in a smidgen of the camera audio to get some room tone. Here's the attenuator I use: http://www.electronicplus.com/prodSe..._search=10-105

One reason to use the AT822 into the Zi8 - an external mic gives you stereo, while the built-in mic is mono. I was surprised at how big the difference was when I compared the iPhone 4 and the Q3HD.

Fran
Old 12-02-2010, 01:17 PM

I wonder if two Q3HD's would be the ticket?

One set up in the traditional x/y position 12-18 inches out which would record the audio and possibly some useable close-up video(?), with the other set up for the optimum full-video shot.

If the close-up video can capture the picking hand, perhaps you could transition back and forth between the close-up and the full-video shots as Doug and others have been so adept at, while mixing both sound sources using the full-video's mics to add ambiance.

Hang on, need to call to the wife......

In my best needy voice, "Hey honey, any way I can get TWO of those camera's for Xmas instead of one?"
Old 12-02-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orsino View Post
I wonder if two Q3HD's would be the ticket?

One set up in the traditional x/y position 12-18 inches out which would record the audio and possibly some useable close-up video(?), with the other set up for the optimum full-video shot.

If the close-up video can capture the picking hand, perhaps you could transition back and forth between the close-up and the full-video shots as Doug and others have been so adept at, while mixing both sound sources using the full-video's mics to add ambiance.

Hang on, need to call to the wife......

In my best needy voice, "Hey honey, any way I can get TWO of those camera's for Xmas instead of one?"
Actually, that's a great idea as a way to deploy your Q3sd - you can crop the 4x3 sd footage to 16x9, then scale it up, or do a picture-in-picture!! Gee, Tom, you come up with some very nifty ideas!!

I'm not gonna buy another Q ... I'm not gonna buy another Q ...

Actually, since I've already ordered a Panasonic Lumix GH2, I'm _really_ not gonna buy another Q <grin>.

But I'm definitely going to remember your idea of using the Q as a closeup cam & audio pickup combo. Like I said, yer uh geeenius!

Fran
Old 12-02-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Actually, that's a great idea as a way to deploy your Q3sd - you can crop the 4x3 sd footage to 16x9, then scale it up, or do a picture-in-picture!!
Fran
Now THAT's an even better idea Fran!

But.....that keeps me from whining for a new HD. I have to figure out a plausible use for a THIRD camera.
Other than her bad judgement in hooking up with me, she's a pretty intelligent person. Have to be crafty!
Old 12-02-2010, 03:29 PM

Well, on the strength of your blog I've just ordered one Fran. £199 here ($312).

Paid my money - now got a refund - not due in UK until mid December :-(

Lag Autumn Jumbo
Lag Autumn CE Jumbo - Nashville strung
Taylor 614ce
Yamaha NTX700
Taylor GS Mini e

Last edited by Raystrack; 12-04-2010 at 08:09 AM.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
In your other post you mention the idea of connecting your AT stereo mic to the H2. According to the guys at the Zoom forum, the H2 mic input is its weakest feature, they find it rather noisy compared to the internal mics. This is where the H4n jumps ahead of the H2.
Fran,

This certainly hasn't been my experience. Reading that forum thread, it seems that the noise you describe depends on the mic. The AT822 is a mic that was pretty much designed to be used with this type of device. Now, I'm not sure that it's BETTER than the internal mics, I just suspect it is (I haven't A/B'd them), but I don't think it's any worse, and I like the ability to keep the H2 close and the mic out in front.

Maybe if I get a chance I'll try some recording of both.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:19 AM

Quote:
The Q has a preamp, rest assured. A preamp is necessary to get the mic level up to line level for the a/d converter.
Fran
And yet I wonder if the USB interfaces from Centrance and others convert at mic or line level.

I'll have to find out.

Regards,

Ty Ford

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD