The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-24-2018, 06:44 PM

i also play once a week with "Musicians On Call" at area hospitals. i play my Larrivve OMV. It works just fine for the situation. this guitar is mahogany. my Martin OM 28 is rosewood. i think the rosewood is louder.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:54 PM

Alright! I’ve done this very thing (played solo in hospitals) with a D-28 and in fact played for people living their last days. I was surprised to learn everyone wanted it loud and up tempo. So you might want to check with staff on expectations and desires. They might surprise you.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:36 PM

I obtained a "CMP" [Certified Music Practitioner] cert a few years back and do a fair amount of work @ bedside w/hospice patients as well as on hospital wards. It was possible [then, not-yet-retired] to acquire a Rainsong "shorty" that is ideal for this work. If a patient were to rip out their IV/etc & medical spooge flew 'round I'd not want to address sanitizing the old Martins I usually play, so the carbon fibre instr is "ideal" IMHO for this work. Sounds/plays well too.

I realise $ for a Rainsong or similar exceeds OP's posted budget. I'll only note that my particular Rainsong gets lots of travel time too - not ideal to leave ANY GTR hidden in one's vehicle but carbon fibre can withstand cold and hot in a way no old Martin [or pick-a-nice-vtg-acoustic] can. Great "beach/campfire" gtr too.
any time I already know in advance the circumstance I'll likely bring a vtg Martin or Gibson acoustic, but if going in cold it's the Rainsong. YMMV
Old 03-24-2018, 11:14 PM

I would think that a seagull s-6 or yamaha 800 series or washburns would be excellent choices in addition to the ones already mentioned.Most would be under your budget but will give wonderful sound and playability.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:46 AM
Charter Member

Since you have a Martin OM, I'm going to suggest an AMI (German) Sigma OM. I have a Sigma 0M-21 that I got for not much.

One of these will give you a lot of what you get from your Martin but you won't have to worry about it as much.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkmusikfan View Post
…I want an OM size body and a 1 3/4 nut is a must. I have no preference to solid or laminated body.
Hi Ron

The Voyage-Air, OM is a full-sized guitar which has a hinge in the neck and it folds and goes into a backpack. I've had mine about 6-7 yrs and it travels in the RV or car when we travel, and travels to small gigs.

The VAOM-04 (which replaced the VAOM-06) has great sound, 1¾" nut, wonderful action and it sounds really great too. I have one with a K&K dual source rig in it, which I can use for open mic nights.

It's loud enough for plain-old acoustic playing, for either solo work or playing and singing. Fits your budget.

I love the portability which allows quick navigation in tight spots (and small areas) and then the full-size guitar when I get there. Here it is in action…using the hard case. I own both a hard and soft case and use the soft backpack most of the time these days.

Hope this adds to the discussion…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion