The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-05-2015, 03:38 PM

Default Extension Speaker Options

Hi, I have Godin ASG150 amp. I'm thinking of adding an extension speaker for an upcoming gig.

This amp has a 1/4 inch unbalanced line out with a volume control.

This amp also has an XLR balance line out with no volume control.

I'm just wondering what folks would recommend. I'm not even sure if I need a powered or unpowered speaker, 8 ohm or 4 ohm, etc...

Would any of you smarter sound dudes have any ideas on what I should be looking at?

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2015, 04:47 PM

You need a powered speaker. What's your budget? Ric

http://www.godinacousticsolutions.co...150_manual.pdf
Old 10-05-2015, 04:53 PM

From Monoprice here in California they have one with the same power output as your Godin[img]. I've ordered a lot of cables from this company and always receive great service from them.

115 watts RMS to the woofer and 35 watts RMS to the HF Horn. Mic/Instrument and line level inputs with seperate volume controls and bass and treble controls.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_i...=151005_monday

Owners Manual:

http://downloads.monoprice.com/files...ual_150508.pdf

Have not tried one yet, but may give one a whirl at this price point. Ric

Old 10-05-2015, 04:58 PM

A QSC8 would give you superb quality:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/QSC/K8-8...-PA-Speaker.gc
Old 10-05-2015, 07:17 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking my budget is roughly about $500, so the QSC might be out of my range but maybe I can find a used one.

So it's good to know that a good powered speaker will do the trick, well that's a start.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinto View Post
Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking my budget is roughly about $500, so the QSC might be out of my range but maybe I can find a used one.

So it's good to know that a good powered speaker will do the trick, well that's a start.
Your amp is akin to a Schertler Jam 150, i.e., your Godin is likely made at the Schertler factory in Italy using Schertler/SR Technology designs. If that is the case, I would suggest getting a Schertler Jam 150 extension powered speaker. That way, the sound coming out of each speaker will more or less sound the same. If you mix and match from other brands/designs of powered speakers, the sound coming from your amp may be quite different from the sound coming from your extension speaker.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:33 PM

http://www.carvinaudio.com/products/...onitor-speaker
Carvin PM10A falls well within your stated budget and is a quality made in the USA in Poway (San Diego), California. Yamaha makes some nice powered speakers below your $500 budget, too. If you live close to a Guitar Center, bring your Godin and try it with several powered speakers to hear what sounds best to you. Ric
Old 10-11-2015, 06:46 PM

Hi, bumping this back up. I just got my hands on a used Fishman SA220 at a good price and I've been using it as a supplemental speaker for the Godin and it sounds very good. I have a couple of questions on this setup though, hopefully someone can comment.

First, when I use an XLR cable from my DI out on the Godin to the Monitor In on the Fishman, I get no sound out of the Fishman. According to the respective manuals this should work. Not sure what's going on with this setup.

When I use a 1/4 inch cable from the Godin Line Out to the Fishman Aux In, then it works as expected. My question here is should I be using a speaker cable or a TRS cable. I know enough to not use an instrument cable. Both of these amps running this way pump out a lot of sound and I find them quite complimentary.

Cheers and as usual thanks for the ongoing advice.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinto View Post
Hi, bumping this back up. I just got my hands on a used Fishman SA220 at a good price and I've been using it as a supplemental speaker for the Godin and it sounds very good. I have a couple of questions on this setup though, hopefully someone can comment.

First, when I use an XLR cable from my DI out on the Godin to the Monitor In on the Fishman, I get no sound out of the Fishman. According to the respective manuals this should work. Not sure what's going on with this setup.

When I use a 1/4 inch cable from the Godin Line Out to the Fishman Aux In, then it works as expected. My question here is should I be using a speaker cable or a TRS cable. I know enough to not use an instrument cable. Both of these amps running this way pump out a lot of sound and I find them quite complimentary.

Cheers and as usual thanks for the ongoing advice.
Actually, an instrument cable (a regular 1/4" unbalanced mono TS cable, like a guitar cable) is exactly what you should be using. You'd never use a speaker cable for this, and the Aux out of the Godin is unbalanced, so an instrument cable is all it's designed for. You could use a TRS cable, but the output will only use the tip and the sleeve anyway, so there's no point. Also, for that matter, the Aux in of the SA220 is also unbalanced. It's stereo, so you could use a TRS cable to input both channels of a stereo signal, which the Fishman will then blend to mono, but there's no point in using a TRS cable for a mono signal into that input, even a balanced one, it won't be balanced if the input isn't balanced.

I don't know why your Monitor input on the SA220 isn't accepting the signal from the Godin's DI out. Are you just getting a weak signal or really none at all? Does the monitor level control on the front of the SA220 affect it at all? Maybe the wiring is incompatible for some reason or something is broken? I'd call Fishman and ask. The DI out into the Monitor in would be the only way to send a balanced signal from that amp to the SA220--although that might not be necessary if you're not getting noise the unbalanced way (into the Aux in).

Louis
Old 10-11-2015, 11:17 PM

First, congratulations on getting the deal on the SA220 and getting the sound you were looking for. I'm leaning towards Louis' explanation of cable configurations. I have literally hundreds of adapters and cable configurations to make things work in live situations. Not sure why the DI out does not work, but I've encountered gear with a "DI Out" that was actually unbalanced. Ric.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:45 PM

Hi, I got a chance to further test and Louis was right, it was the monitor volume on the Fishman that I needed to increase. For some reason I assumed it was just for the monitor out. Anyway that works properly. It also works using the line out/in with an instrument cable.

I didn't notice much difference in volume or quality of the sound using one connection or the other. The one advantage of using the line out/in is that I can somewhat adjust the volume at the Godin which is likelier to be next to me, but both work well.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 10-12-2015, 02:00 PM

Glad we could help, and that it turned out everything was working properly!

Louis

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification