The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-23-2014, 05:02 AM

Default capacitors and tone circuit

I have a Squier Strat SE and am installing new everything under the pick guard, and I'm also going to do the following: Wire up so that 1st tone knob controls middle/neck and 2nd tone knob works for the bridge.
Install a separate tone cap on each tone pot, these will be 2 different values 0.022 and 0.047 so that neck / middle gives one sound, and bridge another.
I will also be installing a treble bleed kit.
My question is in regards to the tone caps, it's my understanding that different capacitors allow more high end to pass through. So if I want my neck/middle pick-ups to be darker than the bridge, which cap goes to the neck circuit the 0.022 or the 0.047
Does larger value = Darker tone?

Yamaha FG700S Dread

Epiphone Joe Pass Hollowbody Electric

Epiphone Les Paul Special 1 p90's

Squier Stratocaster SE

Yamaha Thr 5 v.2 Amp

Behringer Ultracoustic AT-108 Amp

Bugera V5 Infinium Amp

Bugera 112 TS Cab

Peavey PVi 100 Microphone

Tascam DR05 Digital Recorder

Cubase AI 6

Last edited by Paully; 01-16-2015 at 07:52 AM. Reason: change of wiring details
Old 12-23-2014, 05:50 AM

Short answer, yes. Larger caps send a larger part of the treble part of the signal to ground. Basically it changes the frequency at which the tone knob has an effect.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 12-23-2014, 09:18 AM

Yes, the .047 will be less bright than the .022.

However, I personally would reverse the order - the neck pickup is already so much bassier and less trebly than the bridge that I'd put the brighter .022 on that one. The bridge of a strat is usually such an ice pick that a .047 could only stand to help.

I think you might find it harder to balance your settings on your amp with the setup you proposed, though we really are splitting hairs at this point considering some people have a .047 on the neck pickup and NO tone control on the bridge...

I am a huge fan of tone knobs for strat bridge pickups, though I just wire it to leave the middle pup with no tone control and have never been dissatisfied with that setup. I also added a Fralin baseplate to my CV strat's bridge pickup and he combo of baseplate and tone control has made it infinitely more useful than the stock setup.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:57 AM

Don't forget that you don't have to stick to conventions! For instance, Cesar Diaz used to recommend using a .015uF cap for the tone on the bridge pickup. He claimed the turned-down tone was similar to a wah backed off, for a quasi- "Woman Tone" a la Clapton.

I use a .0047uF on my bridge pickup which makes a quasi-humbucker sound, to get that squealing, gnarly high harmonic sound that David Gilmour uses. On one Strat, I use a .1uF for the neck because a fuzz goes wonderfully "oohey" when you turn a pickup down.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by BTF; 12-24-2014 at 07:05 AM.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paully View Post
Does larger value = Darker tone?
Not exactly. The cap defines the range of the control but, with the tone knob up full, they don't have any effect at all.

Larger value pots are brighter because high impedance is better at preserving the high end in the signal. In practice that's usually a choice between 250k and 500k although people have also used 1M pots.

I really like 15n in humbuckers for the honey tone. Not sure what works best in single coils.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars