The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-01-2023, 10:07 AM

Default 1 & 3/4 vs 1 & 13/16th nut width

I've got a lead on an Eastman E20 00 12 fret guitar at a great price. My only concern is the nut width, which is 1 and 13/16th. I have smallish hands, and I'm wondering whether that's just too wide a nut width. It's a two hour drive to check it out, and I'm hesitant. All of my current guitars are 1 and 3/4, but I feel like that's my limit. I can't, for example, handle a classical guitar's 2" width. So my question is, for those who play 1 & 13/16th, do you feel a noticeable difference, or is it really negligible? I'm not sure if I'm overthinking this, but I wanted to get a sense from others before I commit to the drive.
Old 11-01-2023, 10:17 AM

I prefer 1 3/4 but have convinced myself to buy a 1 13/16 a couple of times. It's such a small difference I told myself....wrong.

You may have a different experience but I'd stick with what is comfortable for you.
Old 11-01-2023, 10:29 AM

Totally agree with ALDB. I had an E10-00, same guitar you are thinking about except mahogany b/s instead of rosewood. That is a wide neck. I have several guitars with 1.75 nut width and have no problem with them but I had to sell the Eastman.
1990 Guild GF30 Bld Maple Archback
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style
Old 11-01-2023, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBD View Post
I prefer 1 3/4 but have convinced myself to buy a 1 13/16 a couple of times. It's such a small difference I told myself....wrong.

You may have a different experience but I'd stick with what is comfortable for you.
That's what I'm worried about. I'm very sensitive to variations in nut width, scale, neck carve, etc.
Old 11-01-2023, 10:36 AM

I bought this Eastman E20-00 12fret and slowly discovered, that I cannot adapt to the chunky neck. The specs say 1-13/16, which is 46mm, but in fact I measure 47mm and the neck is very thick too. I thought I could get used to it, but I can‘t, and I have big hands
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
That's what I'm worried about. I'm very sensitive to variations in nut width, scale, neck carve, etc.
I think you've answered your own question. Since you already know this, don't get tempted by a good price and end up with a guitar you don't like. (I've don't that too many times.)
Charter Member

Like others I find a noticeable difference between the two and prefer the 1 13/16. However the advertised nut size should only be used as a guideline as to actual relevant spacings. Even the same advertised spacing between models in the same brand can vary as well as individual guitars.

The actual string to string spacing neck width etc all will vary. For example the string to string spacing can vary between those two such that a 1 3/4 may have bigger spacing than a 1 13/16. The neck shape is also going to factor into the feel.

If the Owner is amenable you could have him measure / send you a picture with a ruler so you can judge compared to what you are used to.

When i went to custom order my Emerald I decided to actually measure all my guitars and shockingly found that the top 3-4 in terms of how clean / easy to play I find them all had very similar spacings even though they had different reported nut sizes.
Old 11-01-2023, 11:08 AM

I regularly play guitars with a range of neck (that is, nut) widths: 1-11/16", 1-3/4", 1-7/8", and now that I have aging-hands issues I notice that the crucial factors include not only width but neck profile (shape and depth) and fingerboard radius.

I have two 1-7/8"-wide/flat-fingerboard examples, and it's the one with the shallow profile that gives me some discomfort. In fact, the profile/fingerboard radius combo has become the part of the neck formula that I notice when picking up a guitar--though a classical-width nut is always going to require some adjustment for a picker with my thumb-over fingerings.

I suppose one could take all the measurements, but profile is more complex than the others--it's a matter not only of curvature but of the way it changes along the length of the neck. So the surest way to tell whether a neck is thoroughly comfortable is hands-on.
Old 11-01-2023, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLetson View Post
I suppose one could take all the measurements, but profile is more complex than the others--it's a matter not only of curvature but of the way it changes along the length of the neck. So the surest way to tell whether a neck is thoroughly comfortable is hands-on.
^^^ and I'll add that sometimes it is hands-on for a somewhat extended period of time. I've had necks that felt great out of the box, but over time (sometimes hours, sometimes days) gave me issues. Can end up being expensive experimentation and some folks can play anything. But many of us beyond a certain age find that the hand and fingers just ain't like they used to be...

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez

Last edited by nostatic; 11-01-2023 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-01-2023, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

I currently have 2 guitars in both nut sizes you mentioned and have had many guitars over the years with all the nut sizes and have come to realize that nut size isn't the deciding issue when it comes to playability with my hands which are also on the small side. It' the neck ergonomic, which is a combination of all the factors that exist and work together in the neck configuration. Neck thickness and shape are very important in that formula as is fret board radius. One of my all time favorite guitars was the Guild D-35 I sold here on the forum. Nut size was 1 11/16 but it had a deep neck thickness that was shallowish around the shoulders...very easy for me to play. Altogether the guitar just fit my hand even though I usually have difficulty with that narrow nut size on most other guitars. I currently have a luthier-made guitar that has a nut even wider than 1 13/16 but it is super comfortable for me to play because the neck depth is even shallower than a Taylor or a Martin slim carve neck and the shoulders are shallow. Yet I have a Martin 12 fret with a 1 11/16 nut that is difficult for me to play because the neck taper is thicker at the shoulders. You really have to play the guitar to know how its going to work (and sound) for you.

Martin 0000-18 12-Fret Adi/Sinker Mahogany
Old 11-01-2023, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
You're not alone.
If 1/16" weren't as meaningful as it is to many folks, half the content on this forum wouldn't exist.
2019 Froggy Bottom H12 (Adi/Bastogne)
2023 Isaac Jang OM (Italian/Coco)
2020 PRS SE Custom
Old 11-01-2023, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Not to be a contrarian, but I’ve got small hands and really like 1 13/16 nuts. I struggle to thumb over barre the first fret sometimes, but otherwise prefer it just slightly to 1 3/4. Also, I find 2” nylons way too big as well. I think it could be worth the drive to check out.
Fender Mocha Burst Ultra Strat
Fender CS '61 Strat NOS
Old 11-01-2023, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

Just to chip in my two cents. I have medium size hands and I really like a 1 13/16 nut width. I play bare-finger style and find that I can really clamp my fingers down a play chords cleanly. As pointed out, the neck will be larger overall and you really need to play that particular instrument to see if you like it. Don't knock it till you try it.
Old 11-01-2023, 05:38 PM

Only your hands can decide. I am better with 1-13/16" than I am with 1-11/16", but prefer 1-3/4".
Old 11-01-2023, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Default 1 & 3/4 vs 1 & 13/16th nut width

Like the posters directly above I really like the 1&13/16 nut. I’ll add that I particularly like it combined with the Eastman neck carve. I have smallish hands and don’t use a thumb over technique. I think it depends on how and what you play as to whether it will work for you.
I have a 00-10 and like it. I’m interested in picking up a 00-20 or 20p at some point in the future.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion