The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-20-2016, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

Default Struggling with a thumb pick? Good video, TE

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-20-2016, 07:43 PM

Good comment was when he said that he can use any kind of thumbpick. You dont necessarily need to modify them.

It is right that if you have good solid technique you don't need to tune the equipment.

I remember about 7-8 years ago when we had Joscho Stephan in Finland and after the concert we were at the hotel bar and Joscho said it is all about the technique, it does not matter what kind of pick, guitar etc. you have. I gave him 2 euro coin and asked him to play... He did exactly same lightning speed licks he can do with the pick he uses. Sound of course was different. Same with very soft pick. Same speed and accuracy but sound different.

I think same goes with fingerpicking. You should be able to play songs with or without nails or when one of the nails is broken. I find that tremolo technique is difficult without nails thought. I saw Tommy do the tremolo without nails few years back.

Tommy's "only" problem as a teacher is that he was a child prodigy and don't know how hard it really is for other people. He calls Freight Train simple song, even it has pretty jumpy melody and quite many chords.

Good thing also you can notice is that he can play songs in many keys. That is important developing understanding fingerboard and how chord patterns work.

Anchoring the thumb would be great but for the people with classical guitar background, it is very difficult.

Luckily you see some of the masters not using the anchoring (Richard Smith-> His solo at 2:36 is sick with thumbpick). Knowing Joscho I think he just borrowed that guitar and probably just give it ago:

Last edited by TomiPaldanius; 10-20-2016 at 07:50 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write