The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-07-2016, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
Please don't be upset with me, but as a working musician I have several thousand tunes and songs in my "meat memory bank". The only thing I use a music stand for is as a shelf to hold a set timer and some snacks.

But I did get a View for wireless mix console control.
Maybe the OP could just take your head with him to his gigs? Ah, but you may not have a screen on your forehead to display the songs that he cares about playing. And with all your working and timely snacking you probably can't loan your meat memory bank out when he needs it.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalegreen View Post
personally, I would rather sound like a pro than look like one.
Visual charts re-enforce my ability to play in a professional manner.
Thanks again for all the recommendations, now to get out and physically look at some tablet models.
Do check out the View. It appears Samsung have released a bit of an odd duck here. Initial acceptance has been slow and the price has dropped significantly since the release. I got one to run wireless control of my Qu mixer. The large screen is huge...literally!

If you're comfortable with Android it should be out front, size- and price-wise.

PS

The handle/stand thing can be removed if you wish. Just a couple of pins to pop out.

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVB View Post
Maybe the OP could just take your head with him to his gigs? Ah, but you may not have a screen on your forehead to display the songs that he cares about playing. And with all your working and timely snacking you probably can't loan your meat memory bank out when he needs it.
Hi, Mike...

For centuries, musicians have relied on their memories.

As I approach my eighth decade I find my memory isn't what it used ro be, but neither is my eyesight. I can recall maybe a few hundred tunes off the top of my head and play along with many more once recall is assisted by hearing the tune, but I can no longer read a single chart other than for study independent of the instrument.

I think thre's a difference between being reminded by a chart and being lost without one.

W

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmanmatty View Post
I hate to say this but, using a tablet makes you look unprofessional. It tells people that you can't be bothered to actually put in the effort required to learn the songs or don't have skills to do so and have to read off of a cheat sheet instead. I would try and learn the songs / chords / charts / scales / licks rather than read them off of a tablet if at all possible.
Yea, why do they keep coming back and bringing more and more friends? Personally, I don't have the skills or memory, or whatever it is to learn the hundreds of songs I know by heart. I could care less.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 03-09-2017, 08:41 AM

Default Unprofessional!..Really?

This argument has been going on for years. Lets just agree that it really doesnt matter, unless you are a purist....As long as you are playing, having fun doing it, keeping it simple,...and....having fun playing....

I read chord charts with lyrics, and the only down side is that I have a huge book of songs that I cant easily change selections on the fly....

Hence..I am looking at a Tablet and was the reason I opened up this forum entry.

Thx all.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

I'm thinking the iPad and the Onsong app are probably the most obvious...

However, if you want to go Android, I'm sure the Samsung Tablet A will work. An excellent app is Songbook. Easy to use, it scrolls. I have both Onsong and Songbook and they are very similar. I actually use Songbook on my phone with a micstand clip that works great. the lyrics and chords (if u choose) are 6-8 inches from your eyes and the cellphone is a lot more subtle than a bigger tablet.

Good luck in your search.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:09 AM
Guest4562

I have long been anti music stand, tablets, etc. I memorize everything, if for no other reason than I simply perform the song better when I have it fully internalized. However, I have an app called Setlist on my I-pad and use it in conjunction with an AirTurn when I am learning new songs. I do not set the I-pad up on gigs, but I do have it with me and am not adverse to using it if I get a request for a song I haven't fully memorized. You see more and more people using I-pads all the time, and even big name acts are using prompters of some sort for live shows.

So I think that "unprofessional" tag is pretty much done. However . . . if someone is using one of those chrome, folding rickety Hamilton music stands like sixth graders use at clarinet lessons, yeah, that does look pretty goofy in a professional setting.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Mac View Post
I have long been anti music stand, tablets, etc. I memorize everything, if for no other reason than I simply perform the song better when I have it fully internalized...
I do a better job when I am playing and singing from memory. But, there are so many songs, and I just don't have them all memorized. The really devilish thing is that singing from a sheet, whether paper or electronic, impedes the process of memorizing. Another devilish thing is that if I am playing & singing something I do have memorized, but have it up on the tablet for my bandmates, I will focus on the tablet and read the song, rather than channeling it up from memory.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:40 PM

Until I started reading this forum I never noticed if a musician had a tablet or not. Now I see quite a few. I think the critical thing is to have it low enough that it doesn't intrude into anyone's line of sight. If that means you need the big screen down by your knees then do it. I do find the only time I spot tablets for the performers who have them low is when they interact with them so I would recommend a page turner.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:30 AM

I used to carry real books and assorted other charts. I know a sizeable collection of standads but I don't know everything, and when someone asks for a tune I'm not ashamed to look it up and read it.

Fortunately, an enormous number of jazz/pop tunes use similar changes - blues of various types, rhythm changes, bop tunes like "Hot House" which are built on "What is this thing called Love," etc. That allows for quick adaptation when someone explains that (for example) "Salt Peanuts" is just rhythm changes in $key du jour.
To wit: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...zz_contrafacts

Even so, it never hurts to look something up.

These days, instead of carrying a stack of books that resembles what I carried around at university, i carry an iPad with a couple of different sets of changes for a large number of tunes (>3000), most in lead-sheet format....and a charger. It's a nice backstop and it's extra-useful in (for example) settings where the chart is fully notated and like a thousand pages long.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmanmatty View Post
I hate to say this but, using a tablet makes you look unprofessional. It tells people that you can't be bothered to actually put in the effort required to learn the songs or don't have skills to do so and have to read off of a cheat sheet instead. I would try and learn the songs / chords / charts / scales / licks rather than read them off of a tablet if at all possible.
I don't like watching players using tablets either. I learn my song and believe me it takes weeks sometimes. But you feel the music, you work each line carefully. You own the song.

Sorry, but I gotta agree with above.

BUT>>>>for other things that Samsung 18.4 screen for that price , I want one for my other uses!
Old 03-11-2017, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
I don't like watching players using tablets either. I learn my song and believe me it takes weeks sometimes. But you feel the music, you work each line carefully. You own the song.

Sorry, but I gotta agree with above.

BUT>>>>for other things that Samsung 18.4 screen for that price , I want one for my other uses!
How are you with someone reading a Real Book on the stand? Because that's what my iPad is, just a sub for carrying several thousand bound pages.

I mean sure, if it's a three- or four chord song, learn it, but there is a sizeable body of music using nonstandard changes, and Real Books are de rigeur for just about every jazz player I've worked with in the last thirty-five years or so....even players who are out playing five nights a week don't know all of those tunes, and the book provides a means for everyone to play a tune they may not all know.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:24 PM

Use ipad with unreal books now for about 6 months really like the features. Especially the link to dropbox and photo to pdf. Probably ok that I don't look professional since when you close your eyes, don't sound much like it either.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:27 AM

Is there anything that would work, like perhaps an Amazon Fire tablet, that is really on the inexpensive side? I am a mac person for sure, but can't justify an iPad right now.
Just to put charts on, and also maybe some tracks to play back during breaks?
Thanks
Old 02-20-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedley View Post
I use an iPad with OnSong
Not the cheapest option but take a look at OnSong before you buy a tablet if an iPad is a possibility. OnSong is only for iOS but is very handy. I've got over 800 songs in mine.
Onsong is very good. I use it on an ipad mini which cost me $100 second hand. You can get a blue tooth pedal that scrolls and moves to next song as well. It transposes, has set lists, and emails song sheets with chord diagrams if you like as pdf.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write