The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-04-2015, 07:58 PM

Default Old G&L Content (Dad's New Guitar)...

'81 passive model, so within second year G&L existed. Apparently "Series I" means 12" fretboard radius. My dad picked this up on the virtue of it being an old guitar, made in Fullerton during a period where Leo Fender was somehow involved with the company making it.

...It may be one of the most "correct" feeling guitars I've ever played, which I felt the moment I picked it up :P Maple fretboard, but it's all blown down to silky wood by years of fingers. Thick, wide but flat. Heavy (mahogany? Could be a few different things) body was either the matte/stained finish from the factory or was re-finned, or wore down. Everything metal on it seems to be 3mm thick brass/nickel.

The bridge is my favorite aspect; a giant chunk of brass with quite wide string spacing, comfortable coming off of playing acoustic. It's also string through, although it looks similar to the new G&L bridges in a superficial way. It plays a bunch like a vintage Fender Mustang that's been hot-rodded late '70s/early '80s style, with flat radius Strat scale neck, giant frets, a bunch of brass/switches and the kooky humbuckers. Somehow that's a familiar enough mix to just feel natural to me.

Crazy wiring; rear switch actuates out of phase (automatic engagement of both pickups regardless of three way switch position), and front switch is a coil tap (not split). Odd that the tone seems bassier and less bite-y with the tap engaged; not so much single coil-like, just lower output and somehow softer. Treble AND bass roll-off pots. Overall sound is very crisp, bite-y, bright, not too twangy or honky, quite high output.

(Yes, I fixed the strings, they're no longer ready to pop out of the slots as they are in the pics )

Old 08-04-2015, 10:48 PM

if you get a chance, pop the neck to see if leo's name is on it. that is one of the first models they made.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 08-04-2015, 11:23 PM
Charter Member

Very cool. Congrats!
Old 08-05-2015, 01:35 AM

Default Old G&L Content (Dad's New Guitar)...

G&L/Leo Fender fan here too. One day I hope to own a Music Man just to complete the set!

That's a cool guitar - it's interesting to see how many cosmetic design features were often a mix of Fender and Music Man - the curvy control plate reminds me of MM Stingray and Fender basses and the body and pickup arrangement also suggests MM.

I prefer string-through string routing. Are the current bridges on non-vibration guitars not string-through?

In any case, that is one sweet guitar!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 08-05-2015, 04:35 AM
Charter Member

Cool Score.

I got one of those too:

It is one of the best playing electrics I've got.

Enjoy

D
Old 08-05-2015, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

What a cool find!The F 100's are spectacular. -- Darwin
Old 08-05-2015, 08:28 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Nice relic of the period!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-05-2015, 12:34 PM

Nice one, D Twins, except for the trem/hardtail and matte hardware (and yours looks nicer).

Does remind me of an early Sabre/Stingray, another guitar which I'd love to try. Saw one at the Guitar Center in Lawndale not long ago, was tempting.

I believe most of the new saddle-locks on modern guitars aren't string through, but instead have some sort of deep routing into the body (if that matters, but it's supposed to replicate whatever effect string-through had). At least that was the case on my Dad's other G&L, which is a Tribute.

I really, really like this guitar. My dad expressed interest in taking my 66 (parts) Mustang in trade... Very tempting offer, but for now it's enough to be able to play while visiting the parents
Old 08-05-2015, 02:19 PM

Probably one of the finest electric guitars being built in '81, during a rather bleak period for USA-made guitars...
Old 08-05-2015, 04:25 PM

That one must be quite old. I've never seen a G/L bridge painted flat black.
I have one of its great grandchildren: 1989 Legacy, and a 1993 ASAT Classic.
They are just wonderful guitars!
Old 08-06-2015, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Danley, That is one sweet F100...and so is yours D! I really like the originals, but the reissues ain't bad either. I have a black burst reissue with EMG's that is my #1 electric. I still play my strat and my tele, but my F100 is a step up in my book.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:59 PM

I'm a bit of a Leo-Era G&L fan myself! Especially the "SC" models.

G&L Family by matt986, on Flickr

G&L 1981 F100 2.small by matt986, on Flickr
Old 08-15-2015, 02:22 AM

...!

Those are gorgeous. Love the Seafoam.

I'm stuck on wanting a Superhawk or Interceptor (or Rampage) of late, not my usual style of guitar (the SCs are typically right up my alley), but want to play around with a Kahler lately for some reason.

Drove by the G&L factory today with the intent to take some pics, but it's... Not that scenic Quite a humble company from that perspective

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars