The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-05-2015, 06:24 AM

Default N.G.D. D-18 E-Retro Exchanged!

I had to Return my first D-18 because of a blemish on the top. I just couldn't see anything else when I opened up the case. This one is a beauty and a keeper, no issues at all and may even sound better. Happy, Happy, Happy

2014 Martin GPCPA4-Natural Stamped "Made in USA"
Fishman Loudbox Artist Amp. 120 Watts
Old 08-05-2015, 06:39 AM

Congrats PFF! Nothing like a D18!
Old 08-08-2015, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
Congrats PFF! Nothing like a D18!
It's a classic D-18 sound with an electronic twist. What year and model is your D-18?
Old 08-08-2015, 07:12 AM

PFF mine is a 2013 Custom D18. I've always been a huge D18 fan, even the older models. Mine has Golden Era bracing, but it's in standard placement (where your scalloped bracing is forward shifted). It has a 1/4" rear tone bar and a top that is sanded a bit thinner than standard. What does all that mean? To my ears, my D18 is more balanced across all registers (though it still has some slight scoop in the mids), and has a punch and clarity that made it fit better for my style.

Congrats again man!
Old 08-08-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
PFF mine is a 2013 Custom D18. I've always been a huge D18 fan, even the older models. Mine has Golden Era bracing, but it's in standard placement (where your scalloped bracing is forward shifted). It has a 1/4" rear tone bar and a top that is sanded a bit thinner than standard. What does all that mean? To my ears, my D18 is more balanced across all registers (though it still has some slight scoop in the mids), and has a punch and clarity that made it fit better for my style.

Congrats again man!
I see you got yours at Music Villa, I have heard Tony's demo of that model and really like it. Congrats to you also. I haven't heard any other D-18's to compare this to so I think that is a positive for me so I won't start to doubt my selection. I am very pleased with the Electronics in both of my E-Retro guitars. I ended up trading my OM/SM for the 000-18 E-Retro and am happy and do not regret it. I got over $700 for my trade and a 10% bump on the price of my new guitar.

Thank you Brother!
Old 08-08-2015, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

PF-flya...love that name when I wuz a lil' dude. Anyway congrats on the replaced D-18, they are wonderful. I use mine to gig full-time with & they are such mojofy'd guitars! I use an M80 > LBP & love it.
Last night I had some time to kill after I set up early at one of the venues I play at & went to Georges music in Jax Beach where I buy lots of my gear. They had another D-18 in that was lovely & I find them consistently nice as I've played several of the new design. I also played a D-15 that really surprised me with a very nice presence & warmth. I think the A style bracing works well with all mahogany because it frees up an otherwise too stiff top. It wasn't particularly pretty grain-wise but it was the nicest sounding D-15 of many I've played...I gassed up a bit on the way to the gig.

Mucho jam on your new tone machine!

eric...here's my lil' friend

Last edited by noledog; 08-08-2015 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

PF-flya...love that name when I wuz a lil' dude. Anyway congrats on the replaced D-18, they are wonderful. I use mine to gig full-time with & they are such mojofy'd guitars! I use an M80 > LBP & love it.
Last night I had some time to kill after I set up early at one of the venues I play at & went to Georges music in Jax Beach where I buy lots of my gear. They had another D-18 in that was lovely & I find them consistently nice as I've played several of the new design. I also played a D-15 that really surprised me with a very nice presence & warmth. I think the A style bracing works well with all mahogany because it frees up an otherwise too stiff top. It wasn't particularly pretty grain-wise but it was the nicest sounding D-15 of many I've played...I gassed up a bit on the way to the gig.

Mucho jam on your new tone machine!

eric
Old 08-08-2015, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations on your replaced D-18 PFF! Very nice!

- Glenn
Old 08-08-2015, 09:16 AM

CONGRATS...Very nice indeed...that is a very interesting top! I love how the veins run to the edges in a V with a slight bit of run-out. Very unique! A keeper for sure.
Here's my 78...don't play it much these days.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bartst...posted-public/

Last edited by nobodeuno; 08-08-2015 at 09:52 AM. Reason: trying to insert picture...won't work?
Old 08-08-2015, 07:53 PM

PFF, I was wondering if you moved both your Breedloves for the Martins. I think that's a great move! Both your guitars are killer in their own right! Congrats!
Old 08-09-2015, 05:43 AM

Quote:
PFF, I was wondering if you moved both your Breedloves for the Martins. I think that's a great move! Both your guitars are killer in their own right! Congrats!
Yes, I moved them both, took a bit of a header on the trade, but got extra bumps on the new guitars so it did not hurt to bad and I got 2 awesome offerings from Martin. Plugged or unplugged they both are first class sound and players, not to mention they "LOOOOK MAAAVELOUS".

Peace!
Old 08-12-2015, 05:37 AM

Default Update!

After a good week, she is a keeper. I am going to get the setup done very soon. The saddle needs lowering and the nut may need the slots to be filed a touch. She sounds fantastic and is a players dream. Now I only have 1 guitar to play and it gets all the attention!
Old 09-05-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfflyer55 View Post
After a good week, she is a keeper. I am going to get the setup done very soon. The saddle needs lowering and the nut may need the slots to be filed a touch. She sounds fantastic and is a players dream. Now I only have 1 guitar to play and it gets all the attention!
Well I did it, I went past the deadline and am keeping this guitar. She is amazing and will, (God willing) stay in my stable for many years. Just an amazing guitar and with Aura + pickup, both old and new in the same package! I am just lucky!
Old 09-05-2015, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Hey flyer, the top on your D18 is beautiful. I like the interlocked grain. Which, in my experience, adds a little something extra to the tone. Congratulations on a successful exchange.
ZI
Old 09-06-2015, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
Hey flyer, the top on your D18 is beautiful. I like the interlocked grain. Which, in my experience, adds a little something extra to the tone. Congratulations on a successful exchange.
ZI
Thanks ZI, It looks better every time I open up the case and it does sound sublime. A very nice instrument to own for a lifetime IMHO.

May the peace of G_d be with you!

Last edited by pfflyer55; 09-07-2015 at 07:15 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion