The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

View Poll Results: Bad idea?
Yes 5 71.43%
No 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-2016, 11:05 PM

Default Thomastik Plectrums Ac110 on classical. ....

Would I be crazy to put a set of Thomistik Plectrums Ac110 on my La Patrie Concert? The guitar can take high tension strings at 94lbs a set and the Ac110 clock in at 104lbs per set.

I put a set on a Yamaha a while back with no issues but the La Patrie is worth a little more... would it be stupid to try?
Old 02-12-2016, 11:45 PM
Charter Member

I can't speak with any real technical authority on the subject, but I'd certainly lean toward "stupid" if it were my guitar.
-Bob
Old 02-13-2016, 01:57 AM

Smile

I agree with Hesson11, Please do not go over a total string tension of 90 Lbs on
your Le Patrie. In the long run bad things will happen. Regards
Norman2
PS; I have a Kenny Hill Estudio E640C and that is Kenny's recommendation
for all classical guitars.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:28 AM

I appreciate the feedback. Ill see if anymore comes in but I also calculated a high tension set of strings for classical guitar from Ddarrio which clocks in at 102lbs. Hmmmm....
Old 02-13-2016, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Not trying to give you a hard time but I do not understand the inclination of folks (you are far from the first and won't be the last) to put steel strings on guitars designed for nylon strings. If you like the sound of those strings, more power to you but get yourself a 00 or GC body steel string and try them.

The top of you classical is not braced or designed to get the best out of steel strings anyway. I suspect you may well be disappointed in the sound, even if you don't immediately damage your guitar. Long term it probably will be damaged, most likely by pulling off the bridge.

Dave
Old 02-17-2016, 11:59 PM

Definitely don't put steel strings on a classical guitar. But if you were looking for a brighter, more acoustic steel sound from a classical, have you tried the Thomastik ropecores? I loved them. (However, they were less suitable for playing actual classical stuff, so I switched back to Savarez red cards.)
1986 Charvel Model 3A electric

2001 Fender Jazz standard bass
1935 A-00 Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin
Kelii soprano ukulele
Old 02-18-2016, 07:36 AM

Make sure you have a video camera rolling so that we can get a slow motion instant replay of the bridge coming off.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffmeister View Post
Make sure you have a video camera rolling so that we can get a slow motion instant replay of the bridge coming off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraclete View Post
Definitely don't put steel strings on a classical guitar. But if you were looking for a brighter, more acoustic steel sound from a classical, have you tried the Thomastik ropecores? I loved them. (However, they were less suitable for playing actual classical stuff, so I switched back to Savarez red cards.)
Yes I've ordered these as well.... what I plan on using. I'm not sold that the ac110's would rip the bridge off or anything though but with these responses I'm probably not going to attempt it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical