The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-03-2016, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD (Cordoba 55FCE Ziricote)...

Just ordered an "open-box" Cordoba 55FCE Limited with ziricote back and sides on the 2 years, 0% interest deal from Musician's Friend. Picked it up for $1050... which is about 33% off the new price. This will be my fifth Cordoba and I'm curious to see how it compares to my FCWE Reissue, as well as the 55FCE flamed maple that I used to have. I wanted something maybe a tad mellower and fuller-sounding than my FCWE, because I'm starting to work with a very good local female jazz vocalist on a project aimed at gigging for the nice dinner crowds. My FCWE is a wonderful instrument, but it's setup and aimed more at the bright, punchy flamenco-oriented stuff that I do.

I'll post pics and my review of the ziricote model when it gets here later this week or early next week. Here's a link to the Cordoba site and a few quick, crappy cell phone pics that I just took now that she's here...

http://www.cordobaguitars.com/p/55fc...ted---ziricote

Last edited by Red_Label; 01-07-2016 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:31 PM

Nice way to start a new year indeed, have fun with this one!

Hope you re lucky enough and the one you receive offers such a nice wood-pattern. Thanks for sharing, cant wait to see real pics!

(like comparing the picture of the cookies on the box and the actual cookie right?)
Old 01-03-2016, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strat80hm View Post
Nice way to start a new year indeed, have fun with this one!

Hope you re lucky enough and the one you receive offers such a nice wood-pattern. Thanks for sharing, cant wait to see real pics!

(like comparing the picture of the cookies on the box and the actual cookie right?)

Thanks! And yeah... holding my breath.. hoping for a beautiful piece of wood. They didn't show any pics of the back of the ones I was looking at. I buy a fair amount of guitars from Sweetwater, and I like they that have great pics of the guitars that they sell. But they are out of this ziricote LTD edition right now. Cordoba also has/had an LTD maccasser ebony model that looks very similar. No sweet deals on those though.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:22 PM

Your deal s sweet really - though it s unique - you got the "open box" model. The ones i see on Sweetwater are discounted yet still amount to $1550.
I play a Yamaha nylon (w internal mic+piezo) but Cordoba models are really good - i m looking for a used one as my backup guitar.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Your deal s sweet really - though it s unique - you got the "open box" model. The ones i see on Sweetwater are discounted yet still amount to $1550.
I play a Yamaha nylon (w internal mic+piezo) but Cordoba models are really good - i m looking for a used one as my backup guitar.

Yeah... the deal was just too tempting. Hopefully any scratches are barely noticeable.

And I'm a huge Yamaha fan-boy... having (and loving) Yamaha mixing board, guitars, and an FJR1300 motorcycle. But be carefull... you may just end-up liking your Cordoba (if you get one) more than your Yamaha!
Old 01-07-2016, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

The new Cordoba showed-up today on the UPS truck. It's always hard waiting to open a case in the winter, but it gets so cold up here that I dare not open the case for a couple of hours... so I waited about three hours today until I couldn't stand it any more. I posted a couple of quick, crappy cell phone pics in the original post.

She's a stunner! Beautiful wood, and I really don't see any flaws, scratches, or signs of use or abuse. Looks brand new to me! Plays at least as well as my FCWE so far, but I only had a minute or two to strum it before I felt that I should put it back in its case, since I'm at work. I'll be spending a lot of quality time with her over the weekend, comparing her to the FCWE and the regular 55FCE that I used to have (with flamed-maple sides and back). She sounds good based on my very limited time with her. Tonight I'll get a better idea of where she sits compared to the others. At some point I hope to get some better pics of her as well. So far... I could not be possibly happier with this guitar, even if I'd bought her at FULL price! Much less the 1/3 off pride I paid.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:03 PM

Beautiful indeed - looks like on Cordoba s website, good pick!

I ve been educating myself over Cordobas lately - trying to understand the names and models and specs from website, then playing them all at guitar shops.

These 55FCE are very close to my dream guitar: they have pretty much everything enhanced, except maybe the necks, that i found a tad thick. How this one?

Does it have strap buttons?

Last edited by Strat80hm; 01-30-2016 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Beautiful indeed - looks like on Cordoba s website, good pick!

I ve been educating myself over Cordobas lately - trying to understand the names and models and specs from website, then playing them all at guitar shops.

These 55FCE are very close to my dream guitar: they have pretty much everything enhanced, except maybe the necks, that i found a tad thick. How this one?

Does it have strap buttons?
It's not a tiny neck by any means, but it's just fine for my small hands. What's odd is that it and my FCWE Reissue both have necks with a 50mm nut, but my C12 SP has a 52mm nut and it's neck feels smaller to me. Must be different shapes I guess. Love all three of them though! I've owned seven Cordoba instruments (6 guitars and a Guilele) and I plan to pick up an F10 or Solista Flamenca down the road a ways. I actually like playing my 55FCE Limited more than my FCWE. I bought some bone saddle blanks from StewMac and got the saddles and action on both guitars very low and fast. Will probably make a lower one for the C12 as well, though not quite as low since it's a classical.

Anyways... I love my Cordobas and that's all I play for nylon string guitars anymore. My others just sit in their cases.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:55 PM

Indeed you seem to know, love and own some Cordobas RedLabel - which model would you recommend for me? I must admit that i m a tad lost with all these models.

I want my guitar
- easy to play (low action flamenco style)
- cheap (i go second hand usually)
- with a dual piezo/mic system

I too have small hands - i love traditionnal 52mm necks - although to my surprise when i tried them:
- my right hand technique (picato, arpeggios, fingerpicking, rasgueado) was not too limited on those crossover narrower necks.
- also i could play classical music on a radiused fingerboard, with less effort, and it s so friendly with the thumb-over fretting
- and both the 12th and 14th fret junction were actually fine
- "thinner" bodies are easier while playing standingup (which i do) but not a deal breaker

Thanks for your lights!
Old 01-31-2016, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Indeed you seem to know, love and own some Cordobas RedLabel - which model would you recommend for me? I must admit that i m a tad lost with all these models.

I want my guitar
- easy to play (low action flamenco style)
- cheap (i go second hand usually)
- with a dual piezo/mic system

I too have small hands - i love traditionnal 52mm necks - although to my surprise when i tried them:
- my right hand technique (picato, arpeggios, fingerpicking, rasgueado) was not too limited on those crossover narrower necks.
- also i could play classical music on a radiused fingerboard, with less effort, and it s so friendly with the thumb-over fretting
- and both the 12th and 14th fret junction were actually fine
- "thinner" bodies are easier while playing standingup (which i do) but not a deal breaker

Thanks for your lights!
The only Cordoba guitar model below $1,000 new that I have experience with is the GK Studio blanca. That was my first Cordoba. At the time I was gigging a Breedlove Masterclass Bossa Nova... a MICH more expensive American made crossover. I was in Vegas when I tried the Studio and just had to have it, so I went through the hassle of carrying it on the airlines. I had a gig the day after I got back and took the Breedlove and then the new Cordoba, as a backup. I played a set with the Breedlove, and then thought I'd try the Cordoba for a set. I ended up playing the Cordoba the rest of the night. And I sold the Breedlove shortly thereafter. That doesn't mean that the Cordoba was better or better made than the Breedlove. Not even close. But the Breedlove was a true crossover, mellow sounding and better for jazz and folk. The Cordoba had a snappier flamenco thing going.

As far as body thickness goes... I'm not aware of a lower-end Cordoba that's a thin-body. I currently own the FCWE and 55FCE Limited thin bodies, and I used to have the 55FCE flame maple thin body. I've seen a few 55FCEs on Ebay go for $750-1,000 used. None of these guitars have radiused fretboards... at least not like the Breedlove's fretboard was. But all have been great players. There are several crossover models in the $350-1,000 range in their lineup, bit I haven't played any of them. I'll bet they're great though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical