The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-13-2012, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Default golder age humbuckers

I have a cheappo Hagstrom F-200 that I really like the way it feels (very comfortable) The stock pups are OK, but I'm thinking about replacing them with Stewmac golder age humbuckers. I have a couple of questions. First and foremost, has anyone tried these guys? secondly, how hard is it to change the pups out? I know how to solder. I'm also wondering if I should just go ahead and replace the pots and toggle switch?

Thanks for your input.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:41 AM

I've not personally used the golden age hbuckers, but have heard good things about them. My first question would be, though, what are you looking for that your current pickups aren't delivering? Pups aren't hard to switch out. If I can do it, then anyone can.

As for switch and pots, If the ones you have aren't giving you problems, then it's probably not worth the time to replace them.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:53 AM

Do some research. Check for stuff like the DC resistance of the pickup's output and it's impedence in Henries. Then compare those figures to those of Gibson's original PAF humbuckers. Find out what kind of magnets the golden-age humbuckers use. This is crucial. Alnico V magnets will produce a more mellow sound, while ceramic magnets will distort sooner, but also give you a harsher, shriller sound at regular volume levels.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
what are you looking for that your current pickups aren't delivering?
Fatter fuller sound? punchier? clearer?
Part of me is telling me to leave well enough alone.
No problems at all with the pots or switches.

Thanks for your input.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Gibson's original PAF humbuckers
Did the 335 come with paf buckers?
I think that is sound that I've always liked.

Thanks.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:21 PM

To expand what I've said earlier, the way these differences translate tonally is this: pickups with higher DC resistance and greater impedance will produce more output, a "fatter" sound, with beefier mid-range frequencies. They're better for jazz, blues and blues-based rock and roll. But there's a limit. The greater a pickup's output, the more high-end "sweetness" you lose. Likewise, going too far the other way isn't desirable, either. CBS-era Fender pickups had lower output than those of the Leo Fender era, but sounded notoriously thin.
So, make up your mind what kind of sound you're shooting for. Comparing the specs of given pickups will give you a rough idea of what kind of sound you can expect from them.

Last edited by zabdart; 05-15-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:44 PM

Just remember that all pickups are made with copper wire and magnets. There are many different types of magnets and there are different gauges etc of copper wire. Changing these will alter the sound of the pickup, the name written on the pickup does not matter. Sorry if that sounds a bit flippant, but it kinda nails the point I want to make; ie, find a pickup that sounds right in your guitar, dont worry about it having cost a fortune. There is more voodoo, smoke and mirrors, and snake oil spoken about pickups than another guitar part - well, maybe leads (cords). I have not tried the GA pickups, but as they are a Stewmac product, I'd say buy with confidence from a quality aspect.

You cannot pre-judge what a guitar will sound like with a new pickup in it. A guitar's natural resonance (its acoustic resonance) will have lots of peaks and troughs in it. That is the guitar's 'sound signature'. Now, when you add a pickup, that too has an irregular frequency response. If you superimpose one on the other, you will get both additive and cancellation effects. So, you could have two guitars essentially 'the same', but because of their acoustic signatures being different, the effect of adding an 'XYZ' pickup to one of them may cause a response peak to occur, whereas on the next one it may result in some cancellation effects being more noticeable.

So, my advice would be to read the manufacturer's blurb re what the pickup's basic sound is, buy accordingly, then fit it to the guitar and see what it actually sounds like. If you don't like it in some way, then try to use that gained 'intelligence' to buy the next one. Do you see what I mean? this really has very little to do with who made the pickup, it's a question of finding one that suits your guitar in a way that you find gratifying. Across America, there are loads of guys in back garden sheds making humbuckers (basically assembling pickup kits and winding copper wire onto bobbins) and they all claim to have nailed the holy grail sound of a '58 humbucker (or whatever), they all wax lyrically about them being hand wound, etc etc, and they charge ridiculous prices for this exclusivity, rarity, esoteric 'value' and so on. Don't get sucked in; as I said right at the beginning, pickups largely comprise magnets and copper wire. You just have to find the one that brings your guitar to life; the one with a response curve that works in harmony with the acoustic response of your guitar. It's complex, and that pickup could just as easily cost $30 as it could $300. Don't worry about the name on the pickup, try some, starting with the cheaper ones.
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..

Last edited by steveyam; 05-15-2012 at 09:01 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

zabdart, steveyam, greatly appreciated your input!

This is a serious Rabbit hole!

Thank you!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars