The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-28-2016, 06:54 AM

Default Tonewood amps

Does anyone have any first hand experience with these? I've seen the videos and have to say they look awesome and the concept is great. I think you can order them for like $200 and they send out batches at a time, seems like a good deal. I have a smaller bodied acoustic so this would be a really cool way to add volume and some cool stuff like natural reverb. Anyways, what are your guys overall thoughts on this, a little gimmicky or a really cool new piece of hardware?
Old 04-28-2016, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

I have one.....and haven't used it yet! I was going to put it on one of my Taylor mini's but they have a curved back and it won't work on them. So, it's down stairs on the ping pong table. Sorry.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:51 AM

Hm, I hadn't seen these before. I'm somewhat interested... I don't know that I'm $239 interested yet.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:18 AM

I have one of the first batch and have been using it steadily for several months. After a few production glitches were remedied, I have to say what everyone who has heard the Tonewood Amp has said.

"Absolutely fantastic"

Get one.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:30 AM

Does it actually make the guitar louder or just add effects?
Old 04-29-2016, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPease View Post
Does it actually make the guitar louder or just add effects?
You can use the dsp bypass selection and it will amplify the guitar alone. Don't expect amplified through a combo amp volume, but yes it will increase the volume.

I've had mine on the back of my Larrivee LV 03E for a month or so and love it. The reverb is rediculously good. It also has an output for an amp. Check out some video clips on youtube under tonewood amp. Use headphones / ear buds, it sound much better in person.
Ed
Old 05-18-2016, 05:11 AM

I have had the ToneWood-Amp installed on my Seagull NE Amber Trail for a month now.

I have been amazed by the new sounds, to the extent that, playing dry now sounds blah.

There is still much to learn about this unit but here are a few of my early observations:

1. Once the unit is mounted, it does not interfere with playing. In fact I can't feel it against my body;

2. The additional weight of the unit will not tip the neck up. Guitar still sets on my leg nicely;

3. I have found the gain and volume default settings on the high side. I want the effect to add to the

song and not over power it. Perhaps it could be the new Godin Q1T pre-amp causing this but

I have been turning the volume control almost off, in order to achive the balance I'm looking for.

The gain and volume can be adjusted for each effect, I just haven't made it to that point yet.

4. The advertising says that this unit only adds effects and does not amplify but I have found that

there is definitely an increase in volume.

5. Replacing the batteries(3 AA's), after about 10 hours of playing time is a bit of a chore. Due to the

close tolerance of the battery case, the rear screws must be loosened and the batteries removed

with a set of dental tongs.

6. The MIDI/iPhone function is very intriguing. I managed to use Smart Track to add a drum track

to Blue Rodeo's, "Hasn't Hit Me Yet". The result was the sound of a mini band coming out of the

sound hole. This is one area which will take hours of time to match the tracks (drums, piano, strings, etc.)

with the songs.

Summary:

This is quite an amazing piece of hardware which will greatly enhance both the sound and enjoyment

I receive from playing and learning. Do not look upon this unit to bypass proper technique, in fact poor

technique will be amplified to a small extent. Total cost, shipping, taxes put it just north of $300. CAN.

For me, "Was it worth it?", yes.

I can't wait for the summer campfire season.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:18 AM

This is interesting to me.

Can anyone expand more on the installation of that magnetic x attachment?

Is it an adhesive that holds the part to the wood? What are the risks for damage if you remove the X part?

Also - Won't the magnets cause abrasions on the finish of the instrument?

Thanks.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:10 AM

Each of the magnets on the X-brace has a thin foam piece with two sided tape.
Comes off easy and does not leave a mark.
You have to be careful when placing the ToneWood Amp onto the back of the guitar. The magnets really pull, so I place the unit over the mounting location and slowly lower it onto the back of the guitar. I have done this about three dozen times without so much as a scratch.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:11 AM

Sorry, forgot to add the link.
http://twamp.tips/#document-8
Old 05-20-2016, 11:37 AM

Default Tonewood amps

I installed mine in my McKnight Jumbo
And another x brace in my Taylor Leo Kottke 6 string ... Lots of fun ... With a sound that'll make people look twice ... Amazing reverb and delay ... This thing is da bomb ...
Old 05-29-2016, 06:38 AM

Default Tonewood amps

I love the sound of my acoustic guitars when played dry without any amplification ... Adding these electronic effects is quite extraordinary and can expand creativity ,ambience ,and timing . Experimenting with delay times and reverbs can create a metronome like effect that can help tie the music together .. Pretty cool tool that maintains your guitars original tone and adds tons of options !!!

Last edited by Rocnrollie; 07-18-2016 at 08:06 AM.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

I am wondering if the amp will distort a piezio passive (under the bridge) pickup system. My fear is that the added vibration to the guitar will create a muddy sound or lots of unwanted feedback....What kind of pickups are working well with these units?

Thanks
Old 07-11-2016, 06:51 PM

i have one as well batch 2 ...It is every bit as amazing as the videos make it out to be.. i use a k&k pure mini..

Last edited by varmonter; 07-23-2016 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:31 AM

I wonder if the TWA has cured someone's GAS to buy a more expensive guitar.

Example, someone owned a Taylor 214 that is very easy to play but acoustically sounds just ok, planned to eventually upgrade to a 814. Then one day he put on a TWA and boom! He felt the 214 plus all the TWA chorus, reverbs, & effects, already exceed the sound quality of an 814. Hence he was convinced that he doesn't need an 814 after all.

Has that happened to anybody?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taylor GS Mini mahogany/sapele with LR Baggs M80
Voyage Air VAOM-06 sitka/sapele with LR Baggs Anthem
Yamaha Guitalele black
Taylor T3/B honey burst
Fender American Stratocaster tobacco burst
G&L Fullerton Deluxe Legacy blonde

Gone but not forgotten..... ReviveMusicStore.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification