The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-29-2016, 07:34 PM

I thought this thread was about making fake LPs at home, like in this video.

An aside: I know the bassist in this video and I have played his nice old '60s 4001S.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:28 AM

On one forum I use to frequent, fake guitars were taboo, but replicas were the rage.... BTW, Gibson used ghostbuilders for lots of customs, and Ed Roman used to rant about fake while he churned and burned replicas. And, here on this forum, copies of famous Martins and Gibsons are heralded, nothing new.

Last edited by teleamp; 01-02-2017 at 01:33 AM.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:04 AM

There are plenty of great and not so great copies of the "originals" out there. If they are being sold as though they were the real thing the manufacturer or sales person deserves to be hanged, drawn and quartered. A copy that is only ever marketed as a copy may be in breach of copyright, but it as never intended to be anything other than a copy. They do say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

As for guitars. If someone makes a, f'rinstance, electrically and functionally identical Les Paul but puts a Strat shaped body on it no body would complain, even though it actually played and sounded just like a LP, the moment the body shape was changed, it is no longer a copy, or is it? A book, whose story is word for word identical to another (although printed in a different font and using a different cover) is still covered by the copyrights of the original, why not a guitar, only the "covering" is different. This is an interesting topic, and, I'm sure, one that will keep lawyers busy for years to come.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSemmens View Post
There are plenty of great and not so great copies of the "originals" out there. If they are being sold as though they were the real thing the manufacturer or sales person deserves to be hanged, drawn and quartered. A copy that is only ever marketed as a copy may be in breach of copyright, but it as never intended to be anything other than a copy. They do say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...
Trademark, not copyright.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars