The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 08-04-2016, 04:06 PM

Default Anyone want to take a guess?

http://imgur.com/a/SGGqR

Wondering if anyone knows this unbranded archtop guitar, and if it's worth driving to buy it if the price is right.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:19 PM

I'd guess it was made by Harmony in the '40s/early-'50s, possibly for another firm; bridge is a replacement, tailpiece is probably original, can't get a good enough look at the tuners to decide. Definitely a lower-line instrument well-used by a beginner (the faux-rosewood finish appears to be worn off the fingerboard in the first position) so assume that it hasn't exactly been handled with care, most likely been sitting in storage since that '60s-era case was relatively new, and may well have the usual neck-set/warping issues brought about by a decade or two of New Brunswick Black Diamond strings; that said, if there are no major problems it could be a good player with a little TLC - these old bargain jazzboxes make great (and loud) comping and single-string lead instruments - so you might want to use these as negotiating points on the asking price...
Old 08-04-2016, 07:01 PM

3 piece F holes say Harmony.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:43 AM
Guest 829

What I like is the classical guitar method book in the case. Looks like the Shearer method.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
3 piece F holes say Harmony.
I used to have a a sunburst Kay about that size and shape with f holes like that. I gave it to my father in law. It has a huge neck and a great blues tone. Sometimes I miss that guitar.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:04 PM

Best way to ID the guitar is to post a pic of the headstock.

Last edited by zombywoof; 08-05-2016 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:46 PM

Ummmm.... Cleveland?

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 08-26-2016, 03:22 PM

Looks like a late 40s - early 60s American made budget archtop. Harmony likes to do those funky f-holes. It looks to have no truss rod and doesn't even have mention of steel reinforced neck on the headstock, so I'd say to stay away, unless the neck is straight and doens't need to be reset (very unlikely)
Old 08-27-2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSpruceTop View Post
Looks like a late 40s - early 60s American made budget archtop. Harmony likes to do those funky f-holes. It looks to have no truss rod and doesn't even have mention of steel reinforced neck on the headstock, so I'd say to stay away, unless the neck is straight and doens't need to be reset (very unlikely)
Those usually have huge necks that don't warp too much because of their girth. And unlike an old flat top from that era, there's a strong chance that it doesn't need a neck reset. It's not likely that it's a great player, but I've seen several of those old budget archtops that were surprisingly playable with only some minor fret and setup work.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Vibrato View Post
Those usually have huge necks that don't warp too much because of their girth. And unlike an old flat top from that era, there's a strong chance that it doesn't need a neck reset. It's not likely that it's a great player, but I've seen several of those old budget archtops that were surprisingly playable with only some minor fret and setup work.
Tell that to my Silvertone I use for slide. That neck is about as thick as my L50 but warped like a banana
Old 08-27-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSpruceTop View Post
Tell that to my Silvertone I use for slide. That neck is about as thick as my L50 but warped like a banana
Ha! Touche.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:28 AM

Based on what I can see of the headstock I would guess Kay as it looks like it might be one those three hump designs. Again, a god shot of the headstock though would solve your ID problem.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops